Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Classic Nautiques

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 6:02pm
Rislone makes a product called Engine Oil Supplement. (P/N 4405 at your local O'Reilly's). It contains:

•Rislone Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment is a petroleum oil performance supplement “booster” containing ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) Zinc and Phosphorus EP (extreme pressure) additives to help protect internal engine components including pistons, flat tappet camshafts, lifters, pushrod tips and the valvetrain.
•High performance formula stabilizes the motor oil to insure against viscosity and thermal breakdown.
•Reduces friction & wear, especially at start-up, helping to eliminate dry starts. Less friction means less wear and a cooler running, longer lasting engine.
•Clinging action keeps bearings and other internal engine parts lubricated where normal oil fails.
•Enhances regular motor oil turning it into a high performance lubricant for use in older engines and racing applications.
•Rislone works with all petroleum based motor oils including conventional, high mileage and synthetic formulas.

If added to the motor oil of your choice, this supplement should do the trick.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 6:25pm
Tony, Be careful of additives that , simply, add to your oil. If you choose to gamble with your motor so be it, but your advice can be very costly for a newbie.
Most of us older "gear heads" choose the VR-1 , or Shell Rotella T-1. Shell is available in 30w or 40w, while the VR-1 in multi grades.
Again if you wish to trust Rislome, go for it, but to advise others, I would frown upon....Buy a high ZDDP oil , as stated above, and a premium filter Motorcraft FL 1 A for the Fords and leave the "snake oil" on the shelf....Billy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:05pm
Thanks, Billy. I appreciate your advise on recommending products to "gearheads-in-training". I myself normally research a product for independent lab studies prior to using them. I use a Fram PH8A or their heavy duty version on my 440. Rislone is a name that has been in business since 1921 and has been used by famous "gearheads" such as Bobby Unser, Tommy Ivo, and Bill Reichert. Even Admiral Byrd used the products during his South pole expedition.

Again, I understand your concern and I appreciate your advise. I prefer not to gamble, but a take carefully calcualted risk with my engine.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:07pm
BTW, here is the link to Rislone's product:

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view/22-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-treatment-4401

We all can judge for ourselves.
1974 Southwind 20
4mor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4mor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 8:12pm
Yes, I love skiing behind my '66SN, that's why I'm willing to do what is necessary to keep running. Question. What is a "poly" engine?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 8:21pm
A "poly" engine has to do with the basic design of the Chrysler 318. While I am not an expert in this area, I believe the "poly" 318 was made before 1967 and has to do with the design of the block. When I was a kid, we used used to call them "big block 318's". I do know the "poly" engine has to do with the physical dimensions of the block.

Copy and paste the link below to get the proper definition from MOPAR.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/a-engines.html
1974 Southwind 20
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 9:23pm
Poly=Polyshperical similar to how Hemi=Hemispherical. It has to do with the contour of the head. I have the same engine and have seen the bottom of the heads.. they're a strange shape. (poly heads)
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

65Cuda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 9:34pm
also the reason when I found my extra engine, I had to buy it...parts are tough to find for a poly. I only pulled the manifolds off right now but hope to attempt to start it in the coming weeks.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 9:38pm
[QUOTE=Tonali_III] Thanks, Billy. I appreciate your advise on recommending products to "gearheads-in-training". I myself normally research a product for independent lab studies prior to using them. I use a Fram PH8A or their heavy duty version on my 440.

Hang around a while, you gotta lot of learnin' to do.....Billy

If you do indeed research products before you use them, why would you use a Fram filter.They were at the bottom of the pile in research data..   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 9:52pm
Fram ad "pay me now...or pay me later".

I have had zero problems with a Fram in the 34+ years I have been operating gasoline internal combustion engines.

And while I don't have quite the experiences that you have, my experiences has been...learning experiences as well.

However, as my grandfather said, "The day a man that is through learning, is the day they better be burying him." Wise old guy he was.
1974 Southwind 20
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Tonali_III Tonali_III wrote:

Fram ad "pay me now...or pay me later".

However, as my grandfather said, "The day a man that is through learning, is the day they better be burying him." Wise old guy he was.

Is this the total content of your research on Fram filters ???? Or did they pay you for that endorsment ?
I say again, hang around, you may teach us a new trick or two about these old boats.
Most here have a low opinion on Fram, sorry to bash your research.

As for your Grandfather, I have to agree. But:

Youth is wasted on the young and Wisdom on the OLD
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Tonali_III Tonali_III wrote:

A "poly" engine has to do with the basic design of the Chrysler 318. While I am not an expert in this area, I believe the "poly" 318 was made before 1967 and has to do with the design of the block. When I was a kid, we used used to call them "big block 318's". I do know the "poly" engine has to do with the physical dimensions of the block.

Copy and paste the link below to get the proper definition from MOPAR.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/a-engines.html

The design refers to the "head / valve/ spark plug location" The head design alone is the major factor here, not block size as you stateed above.
Slang in the Old Days for the poly was "Semi-Hemi" and the Saw Tooth valve covers were too cool....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 10:30pm
Apology accepted and I am sure I will learn a thing or two as well.

And to be completely honest, my dad always used Fram and we never had an oil related failure.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 10:52pm
I just caught the video on Youtube that was made of the repairs to a kayak.

Billy, I must say, you are a card. I truly enjoyed it. And I truly look forward to your words of wisdom.

I like the part about "flame-able" and "in-flame-able". That was sweet.

And you're right. It doesn't make any sense.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 10:56pm
The 312 you built and shipped to the UK sounds FAB-U-LOUS!!

My aunt's neighbor had a Thundercraft with a 312 in and a jet drive. That sound brings back memories.

Are you near Nawlins? (A friend of mine said that's how New Orleans is supposed to be spelled.)
1974 Southwind 20
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 12:09am
For what it's worth, I've got a Chrysler 360 in my 1975 Century; never been rebuilt and still runs great. Go Mopar.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 12:15am
GO MOPAR!!!
1974 Southwind 20
4mor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4mor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:54am
Wow! Sounds like a wonderful boat. I will do all I can to keep the original 318 in the boat. A lot of members are telling me that keeping the boat original is the best way to hold its value. I am still exploring my options with the hot oil sample taken on Nov. 6,2012 showing excessive chrome, iron, and lead. So, something is wearing out faster than it should and I need to find out what before I ruin the engine.
65Cuda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 5:32pm
let me know if you are in the market for a parts engine.
4mor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4mor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 8:09pm
I will. Thanks
65Cuda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2012 at 6:16pm
still tinkering with the idea on just sending the extra engine out to get rebuilt and then selling (318-Poly)...not sure if there is any interest out there for it.
4mor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4mor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 10:46am
I would love to have your extra 318 poly, but right now, I don't know where I could keep it. I know that my engine need to come out of the boat for a close inspection to see why my last oil sample analysis had the high iron, chrome and lead readings. Something is not getting the lubrication that it needs and, so, the inspection before I ruin it. Not sure if I will pull the engine here (Peoria, Az.) and ship it to repair shops that are knowledgeable about the ploys or take the boat and engine to them. One of the shops is U.S. Engines in Kent, Wn. the other is S & J Engines in Spokane, Wn. Not looking forward to a trip to either place, especially this time of the year so, most likely, if I make the trip, it would be more like the middle of April. Also, and maybe you can help me...I not sure if my poly is a reverse rotation engine. Looking at the front of the engine when running, it turns counter-clockwise. Is that reverse rotation? Anyway, lets stay in touch and maybe we can solve both our problems.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 10:52am
Originally posted by 4mor 4mor wrote:

Looking at the front of the engine when running, it turns counter-clockwise. Is that reverse rotation?

Yes

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 11:08am
Originally posted by 4mor 4mor wrote:

One of the shops is U.S. Engines in Kent, Wn. the other is S & J Engines in Spokane, Wn.

I'm not understanding why you have to travel so far for engine work.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 12:57pm
My 318 poly has a "few thousand hours" on it! Quote from the original owner. Still runs well!
4mor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4mor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 4:26pm
I found both engine repair shops on-line under "Chrysler 318 marine engines" and I have talked to both on the phone. Both are very capable engine rebuild shops familiar with the "poly" engine which is clearly different than post 1976 engines. I am open to other suggestions. I am looking for the best, most capable shop familiar with the requirements of marine engines.
4mor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4mor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 4:31pm
A few thousand hours? What kind of a boat was it in? Do you know which make of water pump it is using...a Sherwood or Jabsco?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 7:11pm
i would trust any local engine rebuild shop . most of those guys that have been in business have worked on everything ever made.
guys . how come going to street rod events , cruise nights hanging around a life time of motor heads no one ever talks about zddp for classic cars?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2012 at 7:29pm
Peter,
I mess a lot with old cars and trucks and hang with a lot of "car buddies" on a daily basis. (a lot of them still drag race) Like us, they are all aware of the loss of zink in oil. Most with flat tappet engines will run the additive.

When building an engine, we usually use a roller cam in the rebuild. Easer to do than in a bacerds motor.

Another thing.... in the last few years is most are running E85 in their race cars.

A lot has changed since the days of "260"!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2012 at 12:51am
I remember "260". That was the greatest fuel that Sunoco put out. Imagine being able to get that kind of octane simply by selecting it at your Sunoco gas station.
1974 Southwind 20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic