NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alignment/coupler

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alignment/coupler
    Posted: December-21-2012 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Nautique Fan Nautique Fan wrote:

Thanks Pete, I was looking at the link you sent me earlier about shims. Is there a particular thickness you buy or do I just need to buy a bunch of different widths?

The width of the shim is governed by the slot with for the bolt size. I would get .010", .020" and some .030" thicknesses.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautique Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2012 at 9:08pm
Thanks Pete, I was looking at the link you sent me earlier about shims. Is there a particular thickness you buy or do I just need to buy a bunch of different widths? Wasnt sure is there was a general order. My boat strut is recessed in the hull. I know you said to bend the tab to make the shim you pictured work, didnt know if you preffered a different one if the only boat you are aligning is recessed. I realize for you with as many boats as you align, it is probably easier to buy just the one type of shim.
1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2012 at 8:19pm
Chad,
Don't count on the new strut to match. They are not a precision machined item so the new one may require shimming.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2012 at 6:40pm
That is a good thought. By the time I shipped the thing down there and bought a new coupler, I would only be saving a couple hundred dollars. I just need to quit being cheap and pull the trigger on the A.R.E

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2012 at 6:35pm
If your strut looks that bad to the naked eye, Id bet good money your shaft is bent too. Rather than spend a dime on R&Ring the old shaft, Id highly recommend a new ARE dual taper from SkiDIM.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2012 at 6:28pm
While I am not the best communicator and usually post while I am frustrated, I do understand the concept.

I have made a lot of rash decisions in this project and posted things I should have thought about before just posting. I didn't have a prop puller, so I was trying to shim the strut with the prop on the boat. I finally decided to go out and borrow another prop puller and pull the prop.

After pulling the prop I removed the strut and soon realized why my problem has been so bad. While you couldn't tell it by looking at the back of the strut, the strut was bent and twisted. The cutlass is showing a little wear as well.(dryrot- 15 yrs old.)So, I am ordering another strut, I know you can bend struts back and shim them to fit, but me being a rookie, I want to know that the part is right from the start. I am ordering a new one when everyone opens back up after the hollidays.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience. Happy Hollidays
I am also going to pull the shaft and put a dripless shaft packing in it. I am leaning to the PSS over the OJ (any recommendations would be great) I am sending the shaft out to make sure it is straight and having it matched up with a new coupler by the guys down at General propeller down in FL. After that, it should be all good and I can align it with everything known to be straight. May be overkill, but I don't want to mess with this again.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2012 at 12:55pm
Agree with Pete about the rudder- ignore it.

The last picture I took showed the shaft pretty centered. It was attached to the vdrive and was ok to turn, but not as light as I wanted it to be and I was unable to get to the .003.

With comments like this, I still question whether you understand the concept of alignment or not. Go back and read the comments in this thread.

You need to do these steps in order!
1. Find where the shaft turns freely in the strut. Support the shaft so it stays in this position.
2. Look at where the shaft goes through the log (after doing step #1). If its close enough to being centered, move on. If its rubbing or close to it, then the strut needs to be adjusted- either moved within its mounting holes, shimmed, or straightened.
3. Once you have aligned the strut and log, you can start to move the powertrain to line up with the shaft. Again, you are moving the powertrain to meet the shaft in the position it sits after step #1.

It sounds like you are moving the shaft to a position within the log, and THEN determining whether it is "aligned enough" in the strut... and that is backasswards. That would be a recipe for misaligment, as even if you can get the couplers to mate nicely, if the shaft is in the wrong place to begin with, you havent accomplished anything.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2012 at 10:01am
Ok, I will disregard the rudder and see if it lines up at the coupler now. I will let you guys know how it goes later today.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2012 at 9:13am

After playing with it for a while, I had the shaft centered by placing a 3/8" washer in the front and rear of the port side of the strut but I didn't like the way it lined up with the rudder.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Alignment of the strut has nothing to do with the rudder. The strut needs to be aligned with the hull hole/log.

Again, forget the rudder. Align the strut to the hull log.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2012 at 6:43am
I think I've read where the struts are sometimes adjusted on the boat during initial set-up. That is to say that a rail straight strut may not be necessary.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2012 at 12:10am
The last picture I took showed the shaft pretty centered. It was attached to the vdrive and was ok to turn, but not as light as I wanted it to be and I was unable to get to the .003. So, I started putting washers in different spots on the strut. After playing with it for a while, I had the shaft centered by placing a 3/8" washer in the front and rear of the port side of the strut but I didn't like the way it lined up with the rudder. I didn't try to match the couplers up at that point though. But, the shaft seemed to be centered in the tube.

So, I took all the washers out and the shaft wants to have very little clearance on the hull near the vdrive end port side. The strut does not appear to be bent. But, something must not be right if it will not lineup on its on without spacers?

I have checked the shaft on both the coupler side and the prop side and it appears to be straight. Something is not right somewhere as I have to put pressure on the shaft to center it and I am leaning towards the strut. Is there somewhere that you can send a strut to check for straightness?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2012 at 9:48am
If the forward section of shaft isn't "hanging" with it's own weight, then Tim's statement below is correct.
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If the above picture shows the shaft as its aligned to the strut (not sitting under its own weight) and it has more than 1/8" clearance to the log all around, I would personally not mess with it. Align the motor to it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 8:29pm

I spoke with a local mechanic who told me .010 difference was acceptable. I dont think he has been on this forum LOL. I know that is not acceptable either, so a few more days of messing with this thing and it should be right.

Does he rebuild Walters V drives??? It is NOT acceptable are there would be a rather large chance of damaging the V drive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 8:29pm
If the above picture shows the shaft as its aligned to the strut (not sitting under its own weight) and it has more than 1/8" clearance to the log all around, I would personally not mess with it. Align the motor to it.

If the strut were already off and shaft apart, thats another story... but if you'll be pulling the strut off and resealing it, not to mention pressing the coupler off the shaft to get it apart, thats not a fun job.

Maybe if you needed to replace the strut bushings at the same time, it would be worth considering. Or if youre a glutton for un-fun projects and have some free time on your hands, ha. Definitely consider replacing the strut bushings while you have the strut off, if you decide to go down that road.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 8:10pm
I have been pouring soapy water on the cutlass before spinning it. Spins easily that way not coupled, coupled is a bit tougher. I am going to take a stab at getting the shaft perfectly even on the log by shimming the strut. I already have it all apart, so might as well get it right.

I spoke with a local mechanic who told me .010 difference was acceptable. I dont think he has been on this forum LOL. I know that is not acceptable either, so a few more days of messing with this thing and it should be right.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 7:37pm
You might want to lube the bushing or it might feel tight no matter where the shaft is.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 7:15pm
Is the shaft aligned in the strut where youre showing it (spins easily by hand)? Or is that resting under its own weight? Or are the couplers still connected (not yet aligned?)?

If thats where it spins freely in the strut, then youre probably close enough.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 5:52pm
Finally got the hose off using a non correctcraftfan approved vise grip.

Here is a picture of the shaft in the log. It looks to be centered ok. It is not perfect, but it is definetly not touching on the sides.

I checked the rear of the shaft for straightness and it is not bent there either.

Where would you go from here?

Would you even mess with moving the strut? Where can I buy the zinc footballs spoke of earlier?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You should be able to pull the hose from the log while leaving the other end attached to the packing gland. Then you'll see where the shaft is in the log. Try twisting it to break it free.

Bingo... It can be very tight, but it didn't grow there.

I *believe* the optional dripless from correct craft is the Oj. Great idea to add it if you've got the shaft out, since you have a v-drive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 1:25pm
Yeah, I downloaded the manual from Walters. I loosened up all the bolts holding the v-drive in place as they suggest and moved the engine/vdrive around for 2 days while it was loose and no luck lining it up.

Is there a particular dripless packing that everyone usually goes with? I wasnt sure if OJ and the one from Correct Craft are the same. I only ask because I think I am about to destroy the hose I have trying to remove the packing nut and if I am going to go through the trouble, then I might as well do it right.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 1:14pm
You should be able to pull the hose from the log while leaving the other end attached to the packing gland. Then you'll see where the shaft is in the log. Try twisting it to break it free.
echo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 1:13pm
I had to reinstall my prop the other day and was able to get a good look at the shaft alignment through the hull just by crawling under the boat and shining a light at the point of entry.

I dread having to re-do the packing glad as I am sure I would run into the same problem with the hose.

Also, I noticed you were not able to get left to right movement for aligning the couplers. Have you looked into how the v-drive is supposed to be aligned? I have the same set up and the v-drive was bolted down to the mounting brackets. There are left to right and up and down adjustment screws on the v-drive mounting brackets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 12:34pm
I am getting to the point where I might damage the hose trying to remove the packing nut from the tube. Is the packing nut supposed to be removable or is it glued to the packing nut? It also does not want to slide away from the hull. I pried the crap out of it and got no where.

I realize if I damage the hose, I will be pulling the shaft off the boat to replace it and this project is already a handful.

Can someone tell me if I am suppose to take the nut apart from the hose or if this is one unit and I need to pull it directly from where it meets the hull?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 12:19pm
When aligning it, am I checking to see where it is centered from the picture I posted or where the shaft goes through the hull. Because, the pic I posted shows it being pretty evenly spaced by the eye.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 9:48am
For shimming, I have found these to work great even though I have mentioned using flat washers.

They are easy to use on older non recessed struts. With newer recessed struts, you will need to bend the tab on the end.

McMaster has them in stainless.

shims

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 8:57am

From the schematic Pete posted it looks as though there is a tube under the (hose) that the hose is clamped on to?

That "tube" is the log. It is what you need to align the strut to when the shaft turns the easiest in the strut cutlass bearing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 12:43am
Yes
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 12:05am

When talking of the log being centered. Am I trying to center the shaft where it goes through the packing nut or the hull? I have been unable to pull the tube/(hose) forward to see where the shaft goes through the hull.

From the schematic Pete posted it looks as though there is a tube under the (hose) that the hose is clamped on to?

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Bruce, Ive seen that as well (rubbing the bottom of the log). My guess is that the misalignment was there from the factory (as opposed to hull sag) but I dont know that for a fact. I dont think a shop can do anything about that, even if they were to have the strut spec in hand- the castings are fairly rough and will vary a bit from piece to piece. Fore/aft adjustments would need to be made at the time of install- washers under the base is the common trick... though massaging the angle of the base slightly can be done as well (we did this on the BFN). A grinder, a file, and a little bit of patience is all it took- a steady hand helps too!

I hear you on this one Tim. John's was rubbing pretty hard on one of the sides but up and down was pretty much dead on. It was straightened out nicely and when we tried to put it back in, we stuggled a bit trying to get that thing centered. By "WE" you should all know that it really means "I". You all are fully aware of keeping any tools out of John's hands?!?!?!?!?
Anyway, side to side was good then but the up and down was off. I ended up cutting apart a stainless feeler gauge and if I remember right, I ended up using a .020" or .021" blade stuck under the base of the strut to get the shaft centered. It's amazing how much that .020" at the base of the strut moved the shaft in the shaft log. Worked out great though.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:56pm
I will take it apart and check it out when I get back to the house in a couple of days before I tear in to it to make sure I am not making this in to a bigger problem than it needs to be.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic