Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alignment/coupler

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautique Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alignment/coupler
    Posted: December-08-2012 at 7:51pm
Hello all,

I watched Pete's video on alignment and have removed the bolts connecting the vdrive coupler to the shaft coupler. With all bolts removed, I can not get the two surfaces to come apart. Does anyone have a trick for this?

1997 Nautique Super Sport

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 (Sold)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 8:46pm
Chad,
I know Eric uses a putty knife but a old wood chisel will work too. Drive ether between the two coupling faces. It's quite common for the two faces to rust together.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 8:50pm
Ok, thanks. I will try that after dinner.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2012 at 12:22am
Pete,

Evidently I am doing something wrong. I marked the coupler and measured it in the same spot several times. the initial measurement was .005, I measured the starboard side directly across the coupler and it was .009. I then rotated the shaft around to check and see if the shaft was possibly bent. I ended up doing a couple os full rotations and the port side that was .005 went up to as high as .030. I spun the prop a few more times figuring that the shaft may be slipping aft in the log and pushed it back forward and the same spot that was .005 initially went to .002.

I am obviously doing something wrong as the spot I marked on the coupler (shaft side) could not change that much.

I then checked the starboard side immediately across from my mark and it was .006 this time still keeping with the .004 difference. I then checked the same port side and it read .003 due to what I believe is the feeler gauge pushing the two couplers apart.

Is there an easy way to keep the shaft in the same part of the log as you are trying to align it or am I just doing something wrong?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first time doing an alinment and I want to make sure I do it correctly.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2012 at 1:55pm
Well, I finally found a way to get consitent readings. I pulled the shaft aft and let the shaft stay? (ring around the shaft with allen bolt that keeps the shaft from sliding back in the event the coupler lets loose) rest on the packing nut. I spun the prop multiple times and came back with consistent numbers which weere close to my original numbers before I had everything loosened up.

Now comes the fun part of shifting the engine and vdrive just a bit.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2012 at 3:37pm
Chad,
Keep in mind that it isn't the actual measurement you are going after but the difference from top to bottom and starboard to port. This is where the .003" max comes to play.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 12:16am
It has been a frustrating day to say the least. I can not get this thing aligned to save my life. I have ran out of motor mount adjustment on the forward engine mount that I need to make the coupler get within limits at the coupler and have the strut straight in the log.

I can get it in limits but the strut ends up being offset from the coupler and it would put a bind on the shaft if I connected it.

I have looked behind the boat and the shaft is perfectly lined up with the rudder by the eye when it is not coupled and I can spin it with a finger.

Not sure where to go from here.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Nautique Fan Nautique Fan wrote:

I have looked behind the boat and the shaft is perfectly lined up with the rudder by the eye when it is not coupled and I can spin it with a finger.

Alignment of the strut has nothing to do with the rudder. The strut needs to be aligned with the hull hole/log.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 12:01pm
When the shaft is sitting in the log without being connected to the coupler, shouldn't it be straight as long as there is no bend in the shaft?

Could it be that my strut is about .004 off line causing my issues? I know the shaft is not beant due to it does not matter if I spin the shaft and measure the port and starboard sides I get the same readings as before which are .004 different from each other.

How can I check to see if the shaft is centered in the log?

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 12:21pm
You have a V drive, so I'm not sure if you have room to do this, but I used a V block, (a small piece of 2x4 with a V notch cut in it) and placed it in front of the log to support the shaft where it seemed to be putting no pressure on the packing gland due to weight, and then got under the boat with a flashlight and follwed the shaft through the log and checked the clearence between the shaft and the log. It may not be exactly in the middle, but if yu have enough clearence, you'll probably be alright. If your out of adjustment on the engine, then that's a dilema for the professionals to help you with.

I read recently that .001" per inch of flange is adequate alignment.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 12:30pm
It sounds like you are chasing the alignment around. As Bruce implied, you need to determine where the shaft spins freely in the strut, and then align the powertrain to that point. It helps if you physically support the shaft to stay in place, otherwise it will move around under its own weight. You definitely dont want to move the engine to where the shaft sits under its own weight.

Ideally, the strut and log will be aligned to each other (such that the shaft spins freely when its centered in the log), but that is not entirely required. So long as the shaft has sufficient clearance in the log (not rubbing or dangerously close) at the point where it spins freely in the strut, youre ok.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 8:14pm
A small trick I use for initial and strut alignments is to loosen the shaft log and slide it off the hull tube towards the trans. Install a shaft zinc just above the hull tube keeping hub / strut clearance in spec. The shaft zinc is football shaped and will center itself (and the shaft) in the bronze hull tube. I use this to get the strut centered and stay there when re-bedding. It can also be helpful on long, unsupported shafts for engine alignment, assuming the strut is centered to begin with.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 8:38pm
Just to make sure Im understanding you, here's my translation:

shaft log = shaft log hose
bronze hull tube = shaft log

If thats the case, nice trick... assuming theres room to pull the shaft log hose forward.

Agreed that to get this far, strut to log alignment must already be correct... otherwise you need to take a step back and start from the beginning!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 10:12pm
Your translation is in the correct direction. the Professor will likely find error but in general terms: The shaft LOG is the packing gland assembly or seal carrier in drip less type. I lump the hose in with it. IE: Shaft log clamps means the hose clamps for the shaft log attaching hose.
A hull tube is hull tube is a hull tube regardless of what its made of with the exception of one being bored through the deadwood. (dont see that much anymore) Many people have difficulty accounting for shaft sag and side play when doing alignments. The centering anode helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 2:03am
Evidently I am in a little over my head. But, that is how I learn a lot of things. This may end up costing me some money, but I am going to figure this thing out.

Here is the reason I wanted to check alignment, I originally bought the boat grom the original owner with 289 hrs on it. He had a prop strike and had white lake marine straighten the shaft, put a new prop on it. The first time I owned the boat, it ran perfect. No vibrations, nothing ran great. I sold the boat to my buddy as I took a job in a coastal city and did not want my correct craft in salt water. We ended staying in Atlanta and about a yr later my buddy needed to pay college tuition for his kids and I bought the boat back. After I got it home I realized one of the prop blades was bent after I brought the boat up to about 32mph it had a small vibration. I sent the prop out and $150 later it is perfect again. While it was out, I decided I needed to address an oil leak in the vdrive and I would go ahead and align it.

The prop looked like it had hit something without the prop spinning. It was a minor bend, but I like everything to be perfect and I had a small vibration.

I plan on starting from scratch on this project and seeing if I can figure this out. I plan on removing the packing nut and trying to make sure the shaft is centered in the tube. I am not exactly sure how to start from scratch on this project. All motor mounts are loosened up so the motor moves freely with a crow bar. But, I need to make sure the shaft is centered in the hull. I am thinking I might just throw a new shaft at it to be extra sure that everything is straight. But, feel I might just be wasting money.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 9:55am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 11:24am
If there have been prop strikes, I would bet that the strut is bent and this is causing all your issues. If the shaft does not align properly in the shaft log (or reasonably close anyway as Tim stated above) your first order of business is removing the strut and verifying that it isn't bent.
John and I were chasing a shaft alignment issue in his boat and were experiencing the exact same problem that you have. We had the engine pried over until it was up against the front engine mount and the coupler alignment was still off. When we removed the rubber hose from the shaft log we found the shaft was actually rubbing against the shaft log. We ended up removing the strut and found it was indeed bent.
Keep in mind that looking at a bent strut with the naked eye you'll probably never see it unless it's pretty severe. Your only option is removing it, getting it straightened, reinstalling and then go through your alignment.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 12:34pm
I can see how straightening from left to right can be done, but what about up and down if you don't know what the spec was originally? Of 4 old Correct Crafts I've pulled apart, 3 have been rubbing the bottom of the strut or within 1/millionth of an inch of it. I'm not sure if boats settle or they were just poorly lined up from the beginning.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

the Professor will likely find error but in general terms: The shaft LOG is the packing gland assembly or seal carrier in drip less type. I lump the hose in with it. IE: Shaft log clamps means the hose clamps for the shaft log attaching hose.
A hull tube is hull tube is a hull tube regardless of what its made of

I hate to nit pick, but your terminology is still incorrect. As Pete's diagram indicates, the shaft log, shaft log hose and packing gland are all separate pieces. If you wanted to lump them all together and refer to them as the "shaft log assembly" then I suppose that could be correct- but not exactly helpful in this scenario, since alignment does not deal with the shaft log hose or packing gland (only the strut and shaft log).

People have a hard enough time grasping the concept and procedure of aligning an inboard... mixing terminology up doesnt help things.

Eddie, Ive run into that same scenario you describe a few times- the strut being misaligned (bent or simply installed incorrectly) enough to cause the shaft to rub the shaft log. Yikes! It sure doesnt take much misalignment of the strut to cause a big problem at the log (which will multiply by the time you get up to the powertrain). Even a straight and properly placed strut can move around enough within the mounting bolt holes to cause issues.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 12:49pm
Bruce, Ive seen that as well (rubbing the bottom of the log). My guess is that the misalignment was there from the factory (as opposed to hull sag) but I dont know that for a fact. I dont think a shop can do anything about that, even if they were to have the strut spec in hand- the castings are fairly rough and will vary a bit from piece to piece. Fore/aft adjustments would need to be made at the time of install- washers under the base is the common trick... though massaging the angle of the base slightly can be done as well (we did this on the BFN). A grinder, a file, and a little bit of patience is all it took- a steady hand helps too!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I can see how straightening from left to right can be done, but what about up and down if you don't know what the spec was originally? Of 4 old Correct Crafts I've pulled apart, 3 have been rubbing the bottom of the strut or within 1/millionth of an inch of it. I'm not sure if boats settle or they were just poorly lined up from the beginning.

Maybe I am missing what you are saying, but if it was really low I would shim the back of the strut.. or alternatively sand the front side of the mounting surface down a little down a little.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 12:55pm
Dammit tim!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:01pm
When checking a strut for straightness, I understand how you can tell from right to left, but the angle would be hard to determine if you didn't know the spec. One of our boats hit a BFR at idle and wrecked the prop and bent the shaft. The strut looked straight, but the shaft was darn close to the bottom of the log like about all the other boats I've seen. I didn't know if we caused that or if it was like that before hitting the rock. We removed the strut and had it and a spare checked for straightness. They were both straight and the angle on one was 16 degrees and the other 17 degrees. We put the original back on which was 17 and shimmed the back to get us in the ball park, but I had wondered if it had been bent and we had to bring it to a machine shop, how would they ever know what the angle it was supposed to be?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:12pm
the up and down is within limits at the moment. The problem has been with the left and right. I think that the only thing to do at this point is to pull the strut and send it out to make sure it is straight. I want this thing to be perfect if it kills me and with the unknown about the prop strike from the first owner to the unknown anbout my buddy who has not come clean about him hitting the prop, I feel I need to start from scratch and make sure it is done right.

Is there a reputable company that I can send my strut to make sure it is straight or is this something that a local shop can tell me. I wasn't sure if they need a specific mold for this strut or not? I don't want to get this deep in to the problem and have in the back of my mind that there could be a problem with the strut.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:35pm
Before pulling the strut, Id pull the packing gland and shaft log hose and see how centered the shaft is in the log. If its pretty close to centered, then leave the strut alone. If its way off (rubbing the edge of the log) then its probably worth pulling and sending out to be straightened.

Bruce, Im guessing a shop will only check straightness side to side... CC didnt readily advertise specs on strut angles so far as I know, and I doubt a shop would go looking for it. A hit hard enough to change the angle significantly is likely to render the strut unfit for reuse anyways, I suspect.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:56pm
I will take it apart and check it out when I get back to the house in a couple of days before I tear in to it to make sure I am not making this in to a bigger problem than it needs to be.

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Bruce, Ive seen that as well (rubbing the bottom of the log). My guess is that the misalignment was there from the factory (as opposed to hull sag) but I dont know that for a fact. I dont think a shop can do anything about that, even if they were to have the strut spec in hand- the castings are fairly rough and will vary a bit from piece to piece. Fore/aft adjustments would need to be made at the time of install- washers under the base is the common trick... though massaging the angle of the base slightly can be done as well (we did this on the BFN). A grinder, a file, and a little bit of patience is all it took- a steady hand helps too!

I hear you on this one Tim. John's was rubbing pretty hard on one of the sides but up and down was pretty much dead on. It was straightened out nicely and when we tried to put it back in, we stuggled a bit trying to get that thing centered. By "WE" you should all know that it really means "I". You all are fully aware of keeping any tools out of John's hands?!?!?!?!?
Anyway, side to side was good then but the up and down was off. I ended up cutting apart a stainless feeler gauge and if I remember right, I ended up using a .020" or .021" blade stuck under the base of the strut to get the shaft centered. It's amazing how much that .020" at the base of the strut moved the shaft in the shaft log. Worked out great though.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 12:05am

When talking of the log being centered. Am I trying to center the shaft where it goes through the packing nut or the hull? I have been unable to pull the tube/(hose) forward to see where the shaft goes through the hull.

From the schematic Pete posted it looks as though there is a tube under the (hose) that the hose is clamped on to?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 12:43am
Yes
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2012 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Nautique Fan Nautique Fan wrote:

From the schematic Pete posted it looks as though there is a tube under the (hose) that the hose is clamped on to?

That "tube" is the log. It is what you need to align the strut to when the shaft turns the easiest in the strut cutlass bearing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic