NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Orange boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orange boats
    Posted: December-08-2012 at 10:28pm
does anyone know the break down of all the orange boats ? How many what years etc etc ?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 11:15pm

Funny, I was wondering how many guys drove the
Orange Crush.

I did.

One great ride!!!

(sorry for the thread jack)

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 11:24pm
Funny that's what got me going     

I bought my boat from my local dealer in 89 and I don't Remember orange as a option ??   
I do remember almost going with the grey hull with yellow interior      
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2012 at 11:44pm
Tough question.

I've got two. 1972, 2006
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2012 at 1:49am
I think the orange boats were pretty much limited to 72 and 73. The skier that Eric just picked up is a 72 as is TRBenj's friends Skier. I believe the Promos like JMurph's and Chris' are 72s.
69barri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69barri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 3:47pm
I own a 1969 Barracuda and my dad has a 1966 Wildcat both in Tangerine.

My uncle also used to own a 60s Mustang in tangerine.

Great color on those boats they really jump out!
1963 Debonnaire Deluxe
1972 Separator Jet Boat
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 3:59pm
Haha, on Orange Crush. My 1968 that i'm going ot cut up is painted tangerine, it was named "Da Punk'n"
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 4:02pm
I have a 72 marauder and a 72 Skier that are both the same color orange
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 4:14pm
If talking all orange, I think Larry is close- most of the ones Ive seen were in the '72-73 range. There were some mid-late 60's all-orange ones as well, but the shade was a bit darker (tangerine-ish, as mentioned above). Reid has a '67 SN in that color, and there is a '66 Stang that appeared at the first NE reunion in that color as well.

Chris's '72 Promo/Crush/Spike's '72 Skier (courtesy of Picture Pat):

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 4:14pm
Tangerine is listed as an optional color for 1966
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 4:28pm
It's funny how the 72skier and 72 Nautique have a totally different shade of orange.
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

It's funny how the 72skier and 72 Nautique have a totally different shade of orange.

Same color. The Skier was freshly buffed out... Mr. Mars is putting the wheel to the promo this winter. It had just a little bit of oxidation that makes it look a different shade. It looked damn good when wet though!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 4:52pm

Really? They look totally different to me.

The promo looks like a true orange, while the skier looks like an Amber-orange color.

How is he going to deal with the Black Paint Logo's, repaint or is that below the gel?
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Really? They look totally different to me

Yup, I promise. Both boats spent the majority of last summer at my dock.

The painted graphics wont necessarily have to come off when buffing the boat out. Not sure if he's planning to repaint or go with vinyl when the time comes.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:00pm
My 68 is orange as well. Came back pretty good but as stated previously much darker than the newer boats.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:14pm
I am guessing yours is the Tangerine of the 66 brochure color wheel. In doing a little homework before posting above, I checked the color wheel to see if there was another orange besides tangerine, which I was already familiar with. Although I have never seen a tangerine, based on the generally unrepresentative online photos, the tangerine, as you observed, is darker than the "salem" orange defined in the 72 brochure, which appears to be the same as just plain orange specified in the 73 brochure.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:16pm

This one was on Craigslist a while back not mine
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:22pm
I consider those top 5 pics faded red or tangerine
1970 Mustang
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:25pm
Mike is well Endowed in orange boats.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:25pm
Mike, do you need some original exhaust through hulls?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:36pm
The orange and black Mustang above is the lighter orange... I crawled all over that boat a handful of years ago, and I believe its still sitting in the same field.

This is the darker tangerine from the late mid-late 60's:

The dark orange from the early 70's is pretty... and certain photographs can give the false impression of being red. Im not sure that all of the available colors during that time period made the brochure. It may be the same color as used in the 60's.

The boats above are definitely not red. Theres no mistaking a red boat in person!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:40pm
Tim, do you have any idea what the darker orange was called ??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 7:56pm
If you mean the 70's version, I dont. Not having seen 2 darker orange boats (60's vs 70's) at the same place/time to compare them, my best guess is that they *might* be the same Tangerine. Theres only one orange called out in the '72 ("Salem Orange") and '73 brochures (just plain "Orange") so my guess is that those refer to the more common lighter orange gel... but again, thats just a guess.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 8:26pm
Salem Orange could be the Darker ?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2012 at 8:50pm
Could be, but my guess is no. I would think that both the "Salem Orange" ('72) and "Orange" ('73) refer to the same, more common, lighter shade. The darker could have been a leftover from prior years ("Tangerine"), or an off-the-books option? Who knows.

At second glance, the '73 brochure may feature the darker orange on the Mustang and Freeport. Tough to be sure though- your guess is as good as mine!

If you think orange is the only vintage color thats confusing, just wait til you start discussing green!
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 2:44am
I want a orange one   whats up with the one that was on Craigslist ?

1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:01pm
A little late to the party, but here you can see the differences.

Tim taking it home to CT...

Back in Iowa after a day on the river...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:03pm
What kind of water is in that river?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:18pm
It's an Iowa blend, almost matches the Avocado Queen's gel. We're not as fortunate as you NE folks with your crystal clear water.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2012 at 1:21pm
Yeah, but look at how good the boat looks. I'd like to take a bath in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic