NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fuel vent

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel vent
    Posted: April-09-2004 at 11:13am
fuel leaking out of the vent while your trailering the boat with a full tank of gas -
any ways to prevent that?
also worried that if fuel can come out the vent
water can probably get in in.
I have looked into a couple of attwood products but you have to have a minimum of 45
degrees to mount these valves. correct crafts don't have that kind of space between the top of the fuel tank to the vent...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2004 at 1:54pm
Uhhhhhh.... Not to be a wise apple but don't fill the boat up so full before the long haul. Or are you filling it up at the closest gas station nearest the launch point. If so maybe buy a small section of hose to place over the vent to allow any gas to drain off and away from the boat while trailering. I assume your more concerned about gas on the platform or on your gelcoat more than wasting a little fuel?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2004 at 2:15pm
MORFOOT is on the right track.but plug the hose.or better yet,i was thinking [i do that once & awile]go to the local hardware & find a rubber/plastic cap to fit snug over the vent.kinda like what you would find on the leg of a metal chair to keep it from digging into your vynal kitchen floor.

just an idea danman !
i wouldn't want unleaded on my finish either.
kenny g
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2004 at 2:24pm
get one of those whistle stop items. it is suppose to allow air to escape, but prevent fuel from spilling. much like the check valve on your shop vac. logicaly it would need to be installed in the vertical position which is tough to do on a cc. you could coil numerous feet of larger vent line on top of the tank to give the vent some volume or put a catch can on it.

i leave it about a gallon shy during peak temps which seams to help.

if you seal the tank vent the pressure is going to go somewhere. it will probably bend your float and puke down your intake. shake up a gallon gas can and you'll see how much pressure can build as you drive down the road.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2004 at 3:12pm
tom,i think they call them capsize valves.
it has a spring and ball bearing inside.if the boat flips over,fuel can't leak out.
good idea! i never thought about the pressure buildup.
DANMAN forget about my idea of using a condom on your puke tube.
sorry. that was a payback for reids story about the lund.
whatever that is.
kenny g
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2004 at 3:33pm
They make a suction cup affixed, catch can. Most docks are required to use them when gassing up on water.
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2004 at 8:45pm
thanks for all the input - racor makes a vent check valve that installs inline between the
vent in the haul and the outlet of the fuel tank - they are about $50 at skidim, but I need to check and make sure it does not need to be vertical or a minimum of 45 degrees when mounted - if so I am going to have a problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic