NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Illinois gun BAN???????

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illinois gun BAN???????
    Posted: January-02-2013 at 4:09pm
Anyone hear or know about IL Senate president Cullerton trying to ban nearly all guns in IL? Sounds like it would include semi-automatics and even Pump Shotguns!!!!!

Ilinois State Rifle Association article...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 4:33pm
Good luck with that.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 4:38pm
they should rename the state new massachusetts
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Anyone hear or know about IL Senate president Cullerton trying to ban nearly all guns in IL? Sounds like it would include semi-automatics and even Pump Shotguns!!!!!

Steve.....Chicago's gun bans have worked so well, maybe the pols are going to institute it statewide.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Steve.....Chicago's gun bans have worked so well, maybe the pols are going to institute it statewide.

Well, one good thing. If it passes it would get rid of all those pesky guns the criminals in Chicago own.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2013 at 11:48pm
    I was just reading about this. I do not normally post in gun threads on non gun forums because it can create too much controversy, but you guys are pretty level headed so I'll throw this out there....And I'LL ATTEMPT TO DO IT WITHOUT SOUNDING LIKE A RIGHT WING NUTJOB :)

I am an avid shooter,I have enough "scary looking" military rifles, ammo and high capacity magazines to make the evening news. I am also a law abiding citizen who preaches firearms safety and responsibilty. My children, ages 14 & 15 are proficient with firearms, and enjoy going to the range. My guns are locked in a safe when not in use and I am the only one with the combination.

I do not hunt. I have heard alot of my "hunting" type buddies since the Ct school shooting say maybe its time to let that stuff go away. As long as I can still have my hunting guns etc,blah blah blah.

This stuff in Illinois is exactly why tactical gun owners, handgun owners, hunters and "non" gun owners need to stand beside each other. Gun control does not prevent these tragedies from happening and it never will. Timothy McVeigh did not use a gun and he killed 168 people, 19 of them were children under 6 years old. Gun ownership is a guaranteed right of every US citizen and that right WAS NOT guaranteed to you so you could hunt! It was guaranteed by our forefathers so you could protect yourself from tyranny. It is also the only ammendment to the Constitution that says "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". If the state and federal governments are willing to try to do this anyway, don't think they won't try to take other things from you down the road. We as citizens of the US shouldn't be divided over gun control, we should be united in a fight fought for a freedom guaranteed to US citizens by the Constitution.

I almost lost my daughter a year and a half ago. I still cannot even begin to imagine how the parents of those kids must feel. I hope I never know that feeling. I also know that we can't regulate these tragic events out of society. Laws only work on people who abide by them. If you're reading this and you think you may support more gun legislation, I ask you to please put your "emotion" aside and base your decision on intelligence and facts. Whether you own a firearm or not, your voice needs to be heard. Contact your reps and let them know you are not going to support your rights being taken away. Do it now. It only takes a few minutes.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:17am

Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Well, one good thing. If it passes it would get rid of all those pesky guns the criminals in Chicago own.

I finally got time to open the link and read it. DAMN!! They are not just talking banning certain guns sales, but, CONFISCATING these guns as well!! HOLY &$IT!! A great way to insure that only criminals will have guns and honest law abiding folks won't. All these gun laws in Chicago, and the homocide rate reached 500 in 2012. Truly scary times we live in with these govt regs and mandates.

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:18am
Is anyone following the story of the New York paper that published a map of addresses of all the licensed gun owners in their area? A blogger in the do unto others spirit posted the addresses of the 50 journalists that worked on the map. The Paper now feels threatened and has hired ARMED guards for their property. Lets recap. The paper, so offended by people who wish to protect themselves with guns that they printed their addressees now feels they need guns to protect themselves, but this is OK. The Irony is just too much. I hope they put themselves on the map!

Of course the paper failed to consider how many of the gun owners whose addresses they printed were subscribers, and is now experiencing massive cancellations of subscriptions, and their competitor a massive jump in new subscribers.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:54am
05 210. you hit the nail on the head.

our worst enemy right now is not the anti-gun people or any specific political or religious group. they'll never get what they want. i'm afraid the worst enemy to our 2ND amendment rights are other gun owners. these people go by names like "collectors", "hunters", "sportsmen" and many other terms that sound like they are on your side. but they are far from it. they have the delusion that their pretty wood and blued steel firearm is safe. they have no "need" for a high capacity magazine in their $10,000 double rifle. they sure as hell do not have a "need" for a vertical grip or any of that tactical crap on their trap gun that gets rubbed with a diaper misted with gun oil scraped from the thighs of virgins.

unfortunately i had to have this conversation with my father over christmas, i couldn't belive it. he mentioned no need for "assault rifles". he couldn't even give me a definition of one when i asked for one. i was pretty upset, this is the same man that has spent hundreds off hours with me in thhe field teaching me how to hunt and fish, be an active conservationist and a good steward of our lands. luckily he saw the light during our conversation.

the 2nd amendmend is very clear and concise which "shall not be infringed". it is not open to interpretation, you are either for it or against it. period.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 3:01am
A bit of a threadjack from the Illinois gun story, but, an interesting story you probably haven't heard about that relates to the whole gun control issue. Its about a shooting in San Antonio in December that was similar to the theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado last July. You may not have heard about this shooting on the national news. Give it a read to find out why.....

On Sunday December 17, 2012, 2 days after the CT shooting, a man went to a restaurant in San Antonio to kill his X-girlfriend. After he shot her, most of the people in the restaurant fled next door to a theater. The gunman followed them and entered the theater so he could shoot more people. He started shooting and people in the theater started running and screaming. It’s like the Aurora , CO theater story plus a restaurant!

Now aren’t you wondering why this isn’t a lead story in the national media along with the school shooting?

There was an off duty county deputy at the theater. SHE pulled out her gun and shot the man 4 times before he had a chance to kill anyone. So since this story makes the point that the best thing to stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun, the media is treating it like it never happened.

Only the local media covered it. The city is giving her a medal next week. Just thought you’d like to know.

Article on Shooting in San Antonio
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 3:07am
A good story that not only started with a bang, but also was ended with one. Gun bans assume that everyone with a gun is a criminal looking to do harm, which could not be farther from the truth.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 4:44am
It's painful.   

I cannot imagine the the "forefathers" thought it (2nd amendment) should trump the lives of innocent Americans.   Get real guys.

Range shooting is a far far far far far far far far far far far far far far far far far far far far far far different case than firing when fired upon.

Your second amendment was written to protect yourself from tyranny from the GOVERNMENT.

I ask you, what is your semi- auto assult rifle going to do against a drone, or a tank.    Nothing, right, so why have it?

2 Marines would extinguish all your arsenals in a second, and you wouldn't be able to even think about protecting your toilet before you were 86'ed, whatever size your arsenal was.

Get real.

If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 9:46am
It will do alot more than a handful of rocks. It will at least give those two marines pause for thought before they extinguish (what ever that means) your arsenal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 10:27am
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

It's painful.   

I cannot imagine the the "forefathers" thought it (2nd amendment) should trump the lives of innocent Americans.   Get real guys.

The for fathers did not think we would use gun bans to set up "slaughter houses" of helpless sheep in which wolves could freely roam. They envisioned the second amendment would create a level playing field. Almost all these incidents end when and only when armed confrontation arrives.

On an individual basis, If you want to protect you self from a guy with a 10 round clip, you should probably have a 10 or better yet 30 round clip yourself. That is what our police and military do.

Remember the story about the new york paper. Actions speak louder than words. When the paper felt threatened they hired armed guards. That says more about what they believe than a 10,000 word editorial.

Your second amendment was written to protect yourself from tyranny from the GOVERNMENT.

I ask you, what is your semi- auto assult rifle going to do against a drone, or a tank.    Nothing, right, so why have it?

2 Marines would extinguish all your arsenals in a second, and you wouldn't be able to even think about protecting your toilet before you were 86'ed, whatever size your arsenal was.

Get real.

Seth, your ideology seems to have overridden your common sense. Our armed forces are incredibly effective when motivated to fight a centrally controlled uniformed opposition. We can take out planes and tanks better than anyone. Where our military stumbles is when they face a loosely organized gorilla force that is highly mobile and has the support/appearance of the local population. I would say a tyrannical government would have more to fear from 10 million people able and motivated to take one shot each than a 100,000 man well armed military unit.

That is real.

Your second amendment argument actually indicates we should allow our citizens more arms than less, unless you believe in government tyranny.
1987 Ski Nautique

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 11:31am

They probably also never thought that people would roll over and give up everything they fought and died for.

So by your argument, We should ban gas, fertilizer, and box trucks?

You do realize that the single most horrific act of violence in this country was carried out by $2 box cutters right?

Murderers will murder. If they can not use a gun, they will use something else. It has been proven time and time again that gun laws only take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. That sure will slow the crime right down now, won't it. Look at drugs. Those are illegal and that obviously works, lol. As a matter of fact, 99.8% of all gun owners are legit. How many car owners don't drink and drive? 99.8%? I doubt it.

And for the record, there is no such thing as a "semi automatic" assault rifle. Assault rifles by defination have a selector to switch to full auto and have not been manufactured for sale to regular citizens since 1986. The rifles being used in these recent shootings are not assault rifles.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 11:35am
and on that note . supposedly since its inception in 1968 not one felony has been commited by a legal holder of a full auto weapon.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:14pm
I should stay out of this if for no other reason than because the starting article is silly and noone will ever even propose such a regulation...

But I don't buy the slippery slope arguements that say we can't have any discussion about reasonable regulations without it leading to an encroachment on our rights.

... the truth is that we do heavily regulate box trucks, and we heavily regulate fertilizer, and most of the constituents chemicals of any weapons of mass destruction.

We here a lot of comparisons about how cars kill more people than guns but what if we treated guns like cars.. you needed a license and to pass a regular test to keep it (if you get too old or cant see maybe you lose it), if you want a bigger gun you need a bigger license (like a CDL), you need to register your guns, have insurance for your guns. If your kid (or someone else)takes your gun and does something with it you are responsible for it (or your insurance company).

Might sound a little extreme.. but it wouldnt deter any of the responsible gun owners I know. Might keep someone with more money than brains from picking up an impulse purchase ar15 at gander mountain and leaving it under thier bed where anyone can get it though.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:17pm

It's painful.   

So, my Ruger 22 cal. SEMI automatic is considered an assult weapon... geee, didnt realize SWAT teams used them.

Do you REALLY think taking away every law abiding citizens gun would stop the senseless killings? YOU my friend need to "Get Real"

WHY have them? Because the LAW says I CAN.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:24pm
There are more people killed by drunk drivers than with guns. Why don't we talk about banning alcohol, or cars.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:29pm
Screw it, why have speed limits then?

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:34pm
Seems that Joe has already addressed my comment before I even sent it. I wouldn't see any issue adding more "hoops" to jump through to for getting weapons. I do not agree with any sort of ban though.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:35pm

It's painful.   

So, my Ruger 22 cal. SEMI automatic is considered an assult weapon... geee, didnt realize SWAT teams used them.

Do you REALLY think taking away every law abiding citizens gun would stop the senseless killings? YOU my friend need to "Get Real"

WHY have them? Because the LAW says I CAN.

Yeah, get real.

I never said "take away every law abiding citizens guns",   quite the opposite my friend. But if you think your Ruger .22 is going to do much of anything in the face of a tyrannical government you shouldn't own a gun.    

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

and on that note . supposedly since its inception in 1968 not one felony has been commited by a legal holder of a full auto weapon.

A full auto huh, that is a new ball game compared to what we were talking about. And those guns currently require an FFL anyway. So are you advocating that type of regulation?

You also point out, what I am trying to say, regulation works.   Ever try to get an FFL?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

It's painful.   

The for fathers did not think we would use gun bans to set up "slaughter houses" of helpless sheep in which wolves could freely roam. They envisioned the second amendment would create a level playing field. Almost all these incidents end when and only when armed confrontation arrives.

On an individual basis, If you want to protect you self from a guy with a 10 round clip, you should probably have a 10 or better yet 30 round clip yourself. That is what our police and military do.

Remember the story about the new york paper. Actions speak louder than words. When the paper felt threatened they hired armed guards. That says more about what they believe than a 10,000 word editorial.

Get real.

Seth, your ideology seems to have overridden your common sense. Our armed forces are incredibly effective when motivated to fight a centrally controlled uniformed opposition. We can take out planes and tanks better than anyone. Where our military stumbles is when they face a loosely organized gorilla force that is highly mobile and has the support/appearance of the local population. I would say a tyrannical government would have more to fear from 10 million people able and motivated to take one shot each than a 100,000 man well armed military unit.

That is real.

Your second amendment argument actually indicates we should allow our citizens more arms than less, unless you believe in government tyranny.

How many shots will it take you, or anyone on this forum to take out a Predator drone?

Life is different these days my friend.

With your logic about clip sizes, it then should be allowed to posses nukes.

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:43pm
ononewheel,
I never bought my 22 with the intention of stopping a tyrannical government. If I thought that, I would own a much larger arsenal. I use it for varmints and plinking.

And they are threatening to take it away from a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Seems that Joe has already addressed my comment before I even sent it. I wouldn't see any issue adding more "hoops" to jump through to for getting weapons. I do not agree with any sort of ban though.

Thank you for the bit of sanity, I agree with you. I am a gun owner and shooter.

I want to ban guns, but only from the mentally ill, and those wishing to harm another. That though is the challenge, finding just those types of folks.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 12:56pm

ononewheel,

Who is this they and are they really doing that? Or does someone else (possibly also a they) want to get you fired up to send them some money so that they can take your money and your good name and apply it in the service of some gun manufacturer's agenda? (Well the part they dont get to keep for themselves anyway).
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

ononewheel,

Who is this they and are they really doing that? Or does someone else (possibly also a they) want to get you fired up to send them some money so that they can take your money and your good name and apply it in the service of some gun manufacturer's agenda? (Well the part they dont get to keep for themselves anyway).

The "THEY" is Senate president John Cullerton.. In the past I wouldnt worry too much about something like this, but today, who knows?

here is part of the copy from the link in my first post...

CULLERTON TO INTRODUCE NEAR TOTAL GUN BAN ON JANUARY 2ND

The ISRA has learned from a credible source that Illinois Senate President John Cullerton will introduce a so called “assault weapons” ban on Wednesday when the legislature returns for its “lame duck” session. Cullerton hopes to ramrod the bill through and get it to Governor Quinn for signature by Friday. If he is successful at doing so, nearly every gun you currently own will be banned and will be subject to confiscation by the Illinois State Police.

Based on what we know about Cullerton’s bill, firearms that would be banned include all semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns. Pump action shotguns would be banned as well. This would be a very comprehensive ban that would include not only so-called “assault weapons” but also such classics as M1 Garands and 1911-based pistols. There would be no exemptions and no grandfathering. You would have a very short window to turn in your guns to the State Police to avoid prosecution.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 1:21pm

Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Thank you for the bit of sanity, I agree with you. I am a gun owner and shooter.

I want to ban guns, but only from the mentally ill, and those wishing to harm another. That though is the challenge, finding just those types of folks.

On that note, I guess I can't say I don't agree with ANY sort of ban, because I do agree with a ban for the types you mention.

I think the problem is just as you mention, how do we filter this? And how do you filter for someone who isn't mentally unstable now but in 1 year his girlfriend breaks up with him, his dog runs away and he runs out of toilet paper all in the same day...now he snaps and decides to be "unstable" with some weapons he purchased back in the day when he was perfectly normal. How do you filter for that?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2013 at 1:26pm

ononewheel,
I never bought my 22 with the intention of stopping a tyrannical government. If I thought that, I would own a much larger arsenal. I use it for varmints and plinking.

So then you cannot stand behind the 2nd amendment anymore, since it was written to protect yourself from the gov.

I still think you should have the .22 2nd amendment or not.

I agree with Joe here, don't let some article get your pants in a bunch. There is attempted legislation all the time.

But it really does come down to this.

The shooter in CN, should not be able to trump the lives of people, just because of the 2nd amendment. He did after all use legal guns, that for the most part were designed to kill PEOPLE. It isn't like he used a pump shotgun.

Guys can say, oh he'd use a box cutter, knife, etc., but that just is not the same.

We just need to ban guns from these guys, and it is long past the time we get serious, and make that happen. I don't know the answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic