NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer/floor??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringer/floor??
    Posted: January-04-2013 at 2:34pm
I was looking at a 1984 2001. The floor behind drivers seat is soft, so what are the chances the stringers will be trash? I didnt have time to look to look close last night at it. One owner, that supposedly kept it in a building. Thanks
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2013 at 2:52pm
It has some amount of rot, thats just the way it is. The amount depends on quite a few factors but if the floor is soft I would guess a good amount of rot underneath. Quite a few threads on how to determine. You just have to know going in that at some point a stringer job is in you're future. To alot including myself it is worth it in the long run.

How many hours on the boat? Also post some pics if possible.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
65Cuda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2013 at 2:57pm
check you the recent post on "Stringer Replacement Decisions" by user iplan in the boat maintenance forum. Starts off talking about floor being springy behind seat and in front of pylon on his 85SN in SC. Without ripping into it, you really will not know the condition of the stringers...because of the age and really not knowing how it was taken care of, I would say that a stringer job is in the boats future.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2013 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by bamajeeps bamajeeps wrote:

One owner, that supposedly kept it in a building. Thanks

Jerro,
I'm sorry to say that unless the boat was always kept inside and never used, it does not make a difference. You use a boat, it gets wet and the water gets down under the floor. Your soft spot confirms this. Don't let the seller give you any BS stories.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2013 at 11:37pm
Thanks for replies. Got a few pics I'll try to post. I went back today when I had some light. The floor behind the driver's seat has separated from the side of the boat. And the fiberglass has cracks on the top of stringers. It shows 168 hours but gauges have been replaced with Faria??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 10:07am

The floor behind the driver's seat has separated from the side of the boat. And the fiberglass has cracks on the top of stringers.

If you do go with this boat, don't be surprised at what you will find under the floor. Your description of more problem areas again confirms there are issues under the floor. There are plenty of great threads on stinger jobs that will give you plenty of info on costs and procedures. It sounds like the seller is denying the problem. Whatever he is asking, he should be knocking off at least 5K due to the rot problem.

In order to protect others and if you decide against getting this boat, it would be great if you post it's location and the seller.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 8:44pm
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 8:59pm
I don't think he is trying to hide anything, he doesn't know much about boats. His first ski boat for all of 3 months. Price is $2,500
It runs good, it has what I think yall call "dirty neutral." I was thinking of buying and putting it up for sale in the spring for a couple bucks profit??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 8:59pm

Jerro,
Do you have any larger pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 9:03pm

These are all I have.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 9:55pm
Jerro - If you do buy it & flip it this spring, please disclose the stringer issue.

Some of our newbies have bought boats & got stuck doing expensive stringers.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 10:00pm
I don't think that is the original stripe either. '84 boats had 3-color hull side stripes.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 10:34pm

These are all I have.

With the glass cracking and coming off the stringers, there is rot in the wood.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:59pm
2,500 seems about right considering condition but no room for profit for a flip. You would have around 5k into it if you did all work yourself based on what others have spent not including all your time and that would bring you up to market value. I'd frown upon flipping this without fixing or disclosing the stringer issue.

Sounds like the current owner (2nd) didn't know what he was getting into...
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 5:45pm
My plan wasn't to flip it in this condition. I was considering it when I first saw the posting on CL. Thanks for the other input. I was also considering parting it out.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 8:30pm
you realize that if you put it out for 2500 you will probably get it and that with the stringer condition every 1k more invested will probably get you $600.00 return unless you dont disclose the stringer rot.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
bamajeeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamajeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2013 at 8:56pm
I also thought about parting it
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 11:59am
If you enjoy working on stuff and want to use the boat, I say go for it. If you're just looking to make a buck, this is not a good investment.

I bought my boat for $2800 with trailer a couple years ago and it looked like crap. I knew it needed a lot of clean up and was willing to do the work to save money upfront as I couldn't justify dropping $7k+ at one time. I now have probably $10k total in my boat and it has more bells and whistles in it than many boats 15 years newer and looks a whole lot cleaner as well. I have no intention of selling the boat so it's money well spent in my mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic