NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'73 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Tonali_III Tonali_III wrote:

Pete,

Preview feature?

Look at the bottom of the page where you click on "post reply". Next to it is "preview" and then "clear form".

Who's confused??   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:20pm
It's not missing Tony,just at a funny angle. When you go to post, you have the 3 choices Post Reply,Preview,and Clear Form. Before you post clik on Preview, another box opens and you can see how your posting will look. You can also open any links to make sure they work too. If you were closer I'd say get it as long as you know it will need work, and you'd be willing to do it.It also says best offer too. It would be a long drive to look at something that does not meet expectations.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:21pm
Pete,

One of these days, one of these days...Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Okay, so we have established that a missing pylon is a pretty good indicator of a stringer job needed.

The pylon is there but look at the angle it's at!!

So Pete,do you know the boat?

I think I know where this boat is but never saw it in person. I connected with the owner via CCfan years ago, never met him in person and then lost track of him. I do remember him asking questions about doing a stringer job since they were pretty much gone.

I see the angle. Kind of makes you go "Hmmm".
I take it the Mustang has 4 stringers in the floor?
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It's not missing Tony,just at a funny angle. When you go to post, you have the 3 choices Post Reply,Preview,and Clear Form. Before you post clik on Preview, another box opens and you can see how your posting will look. You can also open any links to make sure they work too. If you were closer I'd say get it as long as you know it will need work, and you'd be willing to do it.It also says best offer too. It would be a long drive to look at something that does not meet expectations.

Thanks, Gary. I am picking it up for a "reasonable' price. (Translation: I did not pay the asking price.)

The worst that could happen is I have to part her out. But I got this stubborn streak. I like to make silk purses.

Being a '73, I take it this is a "foam" boat?

Tony
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:28pm

Asprin helps my ears too! No it has the compressor under the deck.

Gary,

I could only find these at Freeport Marine. There is an eBay store that has them but the price difference is only a couple of bucks.

Tony
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 7:31pm
Testing...1...2...3

eBay Signaltone Horn

Testing 1...2...3
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 1:49am
I suspect that I will need to restore the gauges. I have never taken apart any of these old Teleflex gauges for restoration.

Are there any tricks in cleaning and restoring the faces, bezels or internals?

Pete, I would think you may have some good experience with this.
1974 Southwind 20
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 2:42am
Thats a good deal on the horn Tony,I paid way more 3 years ago. The gauge
thing is tough,they are not made to be taken apart,the bezels being
crimped on.I had nothing to start with and lucked out finding these
on ebay.The lens were clean and the chrome rings polished up nice.
Teleflex's were/are on the low end and some gauge repair guy's don't
like to work on them. After 2 years of looking I finally found an hour
meter! You could check here with
Dale to see what he thinks. Gauge repair when sent out is expensive
and slow.

here
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 3:37am
WOW!!!

Those are gorgeous, Gary!

Now I will have to keep on the lookout for a nice set.

Steve mentioned a place that puts AutoMeter guts in Teleflex housings to make them work correctly.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 3:46am
Thanks for the link, Gary. I sent them an email and will let you know what they say.

Thanks again.
1974 Southwind 20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 9:40pm

Thats a good deal on the horn Tony,I paid way more 3 years ago. The gauge
thing is tough,they are not made to be taken apart,the bezels being
crimped on.I had nothing to start with and lucked out finding these
on ebay.The lens were clean and the chrome rings polished up nice.
Teleflex's were/are on the low end and some gauge repair guy's don't
like to work on them. After 2 years of looking I finally found an hour
meter! You could check here with
and slow.

here

I heard back from Dale, Gary:

Hi Tony,

Please call me regarding your speedo. Dont let that Mustang get away. Thats one nice boat in any condition

Thanks

Dale Kocian
Kocian Instruments
(920) 336-1591

looking forward to picking her up in a couple weeks.
1974 Southwind 20
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 10:02pm
Pete recommended him Tony,seems like a nice guy. He is storing several members gauges right now
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 10:27pm

Pete recommended him Tony,seems like a nice guy. He is storing several members gauges right now

Tony,
Dale is a ACBS member and belongs to one of the chapters I do (Glacier Lakes). His business is fairly new but he's be around the insides of gauges for many years. I know many ACBS members who have used him and can say I have heard nothing but good things about him. He's a wood boat owner so he knows what it takes to do an original restoration.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 10:47pm

Tony,
Dale is a ACBS member and belongs to one of the chapters I do (Glacier Lakes). His business is fairly new but he's be around the insides of gauges for many years. I know many ACBS members who have used him and can say I have heard nothing but good things about him. He's a wood boat owner so he knows what it takes to do an original restoration.

Sounds good to me, Pete.

That way I can keep it original.
1974 Southwind 20
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 11:45pm

You could check with
and slow.

Slow? he told me, my tach would be at least 3 or 4 weeks...

..... he aint never lied!

Tony, Dale is who has my tach...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2013 at 11:50pm
Hey, Gary,

you didnt get "my" tach back yet, did you?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2013 at 12:49am
He told me the same too,well we don't need them yet anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 2:28am
I talked to the owner on Friday and closed the deal for the Mustang. I am planning on picking her up the weekend of Jan 26-27.

It definitely has a LM318 in her, so I am checking with Art Cozier at CC Orlando to see if it is the original engine.

What kind of towing weight am I looking at?

Can this be towed with a Ford Ranger with a four banger? How about a Jeep Cherokee with a V6 (as opposed to their reliable 4.0L I-6)?

Or am I looking at towing this with my full sized F150 with my 300cid, L6? (strong as all get out and will pull stumps, hmmm wonder why it was never put to marine use?)
1974 Southwind 20
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 12:31pm
If no wet foam, youre looking at just over 2k lbs dry weight (1600 boat, 450 trailer). Even with wet foam and fluids, you're probably still only in the 2500 range.

Id be very surprised if that boat came with a 318. Does it have any of the original stickers on the exhaust manifolds or valve covers to indicate which model it was? The 200hp was a 273.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 12:50pm
Tim,

The owner seems pretty emphatic. I will find out when I hear back from Art and when I pick her up in a couple of weeks.
1974 Southwind 20
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 1:54pm
It may very well have a 318 in there now (it will be cast into the block) but that doesnt mean its original. 318's would have been cheaper and easier to find if the block was ever replaced. Art's records would be definitive, but if you have any pictures of the engine, those would tell a lot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 2:30pm
I agree, Tim. Unfortunately, I have no pics, yet. I am even thinking this could have some sort of Ford variant in it that the present owner is mistaking it for.

I will know more in a couple of weeks.
1974 Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 9:53pm

It definitely has a LM318 in her

Tony,
How did you determine it has the 318? I'm with Tim on this and the 273 would be the common engine for a Mustang.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 10:46pm
I am going by what the owner John Elsen. He claims he bought it brand new from John, Sr. at Watercraft Sales.

I plan on checking for certain. It doesn't matter, really. It's going back together with what it had from Orlando after I get her home.
1974 Southwind 20
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 9:08am

I am going by what the owner John Elsen. He claims he bought it brand new from John, Sr. at Watercraft Sales.

I plan on checking for certain. It doesn't matter, really. It's going back together with what it had from Orlando after I get her home.

Tony,
You can't tell the two displacements apart from looking at the engine. You need to go to the engine tag and look at the engine model # and then, go to Hurrikain ID your engine.

I worked for John Sr. and trust me, unless he had the paper work in front of him, he would not be able to tell the difference ether. At least the PO didn't tell you the boat came from Cypress Gardens!!

Look at the engine tag!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 9:52am
Not sure Chrysler put tags on the engine? Decals (if exhaust manifolds were reused and not painted over) would be the best clue if the block could have been replaced. Arts records if they're missing.

Chrysler DID cast the displacement into the block. It's down low on the port side iirc. No need to look anything up- it's easy to tell what's in the boat now. From a few feet away you can't tell the difference 273/318/340 though.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 10:28am
I don't know much about Chryslers, but did look at a pair of engines recently for a friend and one did still have a tag on it and both did have the displacement cast into the port side.

Why are you guys so sure a 318 wouldn't have been originally in that boat? A 273 may have been more common, but is it really unlikely Correct Craft would have put a 318 in a Mustang?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 11:38am
I just havent seen an original boat so equipped Bruce... which leads me to believe that CC simply didnt offer the 318 as an option in the 16' hulls. Maybe they thought they would overpower the boat? Not sure. Same reason they didnt offer 340's or 351w's... 302/305/307/273 seem to have been the offerings in that hull.

318's were common in the larger Barracuda, SN, etc.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 3:43pm
This one may be of interest 69 SS Mustang Ask him if the engine is original to the boat, its worded as if it is.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic