Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'73 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Tonali_III Tonali_III wrote:

I am going by what the owner John Elsen. He claims he bought it brand new from John, Sr. at Watercraft Sales.

I plan on checking for certain. It doesn't matter, really. It's going back together with what it had from Orlando after I get her home.

Tony,
You can't tell the two displacements apart from looking at the engine. You need to go to the engine tag and look at the engine model # and then, go to Hurrikain ID your engine.

I worked for John Sr. and trust me, unless he had the paper work in front of him, he would not be able to tell the difference ether. At least the PO didn't tell you the boat came from Cypress Gardens!!

Look at the engine tag!!!!!

I knew you worked for John, Sr, so I know that you would know for certain.

I will definitely check when I get up there in 2 weeks. You going to be around there the weekend of the 26th, Pete?

I am thinking the engine may have been replaced, but I will check.

Thanks,

Tony
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

This one may be of interest 69 SS Mustang Ask him if the engine is original to the boat, its worded as if it is.

Based on the details of the "restoration", combined with the fresh paint on the engine and non-original exhaust manifolds, I would certainly be taking everything that seller says with a grain of salt.

The casting number on his engine would be a clue as to whats in there now, but the only definitive evidence would be in CC's factory records.
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 6:40pm
This just in: according to Art Cozier at CC Orlando, my Mustang was originally equipped with a Chrysler 273cid (just as we all suspected). The boat was "completed" December 1971, making it a 1972 model. Hence the short VIN number (M3214) as opposed to the standard 12 or 17 digit variety started in 1973.

Also, there is a possibility that this engine may have been changed by an engine rebuilder sometime in the 80's.

The boat was purchased new and donated to the Moody Church of Chicago, Illinois for use at a youth camp in Wisconsin. The boat was originally purchased from Watercraft Sales in Three Lakes, Wisconsin from John Lamon, Sr (probably while Pete was working there).

The boat developed an engine problem (described as a "knock" in the engine) and was returned to the donor in about 1997 or 1998. The boat was placed in a garage at this time where it has been ever since.
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic