NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

carb help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb help
    Posted: January-12-2006 at 1:36pm
im replacing my holley and need to know what the draw backs are for buying a non marine carb because im going to save about 350 bucks

please help

thnx mike
gotta love those old school nautiques
custom2001
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2006 at 1:57pm
All you need to do is rebuild the carb you have. Get a Holley marine carb kit and it will be good as new. Never ever use a automotive carb on a marine engine, First it's against the law in most states and secondly it's safty issue. Where are you getting your quotes on the carb from?

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2006 at 1:58pm
You will probably get slammed here for car parts. The early '60 models didn't have marine carbs. I don't know when, but during the '70's they started using marine carbs. The main issue is safety. Where are you getting your prices? I traded my regular holley for a marine model for $173, and it was rebuilt. I can get the phone # if you are interested.
Tim D
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 8:43am
ive got the rebuild kit in hand,but my friend who i asked to rebuild it for me says that i should just buy a new carb.. so i called woody at correct craft and he said the same thing that i should buy a new one.. i dont want to spend $600 on a new carb right now so i think ill just rebuild it.. because im already out the $80 on the kit so why not rebuild it and see if it helps
custom2001
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 8:46am
and i got the prices from pro water sports in jax fl for marine $600 and other is ebay $250

and woody said $500

thnx mike
custom2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 8:51am
Where are you located??? If the guy doing it doesn't have a bucket of carb cleaner to soak it in then you don't want him doing the job anyway and I question why he would say replace the whole thing instead of rebuilding it. Did you get a holley brand kit??? Also did you get a new choke stat as well? Also if you do ant to go the route of a neww carb check out Summit racing thay have marine carbs for 300-450 bucks.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 9:27am
Good call '79 When you rebuild what you have you know what you've got. Buy the "reconditioned" and you may get someones eles's worn out carb. The ONLY time I get a exchange is when the one I have is too worn out too rebuild, ie; throttle plate shaft bore worn out, warped bowls or metering block etc... If you or your mech is scared to rebuild it, find someone else.... or the panel of experts here will rebild it for you, just ask! If you buy a new one, let us here know, someone here will take the core off your hands!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 11:49am
If you really don't want to rebuild it and it sounds like your friend doesn't, you can get a new (they also sell remanufactured but not cheap enough to make it worth it) Edelbrock MARINE Carburetor at Summit (www.summitracing.com) for $286 plus shipping, or at parts america auto parts stores for about $309. I run one on my mildly built 302 and it has been very well behaved and easy to tune once you buy the strip kit. The difference between the Marine and auto versions mostly deal with where overflow fuel goes, in the marine it is dumped into the motor instead of into the bilge where it could be ignited making the boat go boom, the extra 60 dollars is worth the piece of mind.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 1:20pm
While I like the Edel Carb, and they look really cool when you spring for the polished model, it's much like a Quadrajet. And I am not so sure about the "rebuildablity" or how many times you could rebuild it. A marine carb needs to be rebuilt more often due to the sometimes lenghty
no-use times like winter where the gaskets dry out, shrink and later leak.
.....BTW, NY Joe, is your '67 a Mustang? Do you have any issue with it listing (leaning) when you go to full power?
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 1:30pm
Rebuild the Holley. It's not that hard andyou've already got the kit. Spring for the bucket of carb cleaner, it's well worth it.
Bob Ed
83 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 1:32pm
Right on, Bob!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 1:48pm
thnx guys i think im going to rebuild it since i have the kit already and if i have any more problems ill fess up and buy a knew marine one

thnx mike
custom2001
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 2:26pm
Mackwrench,
   One of the things I like most about the Edelbrock/Carter is the "Rebuildabilty". Mine needed to be rebuilt when I got the motor as the PO had left old gas in it for 2 years and the high speed jets were about clogged solid. I got the marine rebuild kit and a tuning kit at a parts america store, had to wait overnight for them to come from the central warehouse about twenty bucks for the rebuild kit about twenty for the jet kit. Gaskets drying out should be less of an issue with the Edelbrock as there are no gaskets below the fuel level, thats the marketing anyway we will see how it works out. All the main metering parts rods/springs/jets are easily and inexpensively replaced which is good because they must be replaced to tune the carb.   That is really my favorite thing about the carb distinct repeatable tuning steps, you change a jet, time your accelleration and if it doesn't work you change back. Simpler than changing a quarter of a turn, or was than an eighth, aw damn it bottom it out and start over which was my method of tuning my holleys or my various old outboard carbs which you have to tune two or three at a time. Plus when you take it apart to rebuild you just drop in the same jets and rods you were using before and it starts right up and you go skiing, the only time you need to retune is if you make another motor mod. Don't know how many soakings in carb cleaner the finish on a fancy polished model would stand up to, I have the standard finish and it looks decent sitting on top of the Edelbrock intake.   
     My 67 is a Mustang as far as I can tell it only leans when there is more weight on one side than the other. I am planning to relocate the battery from the drivers side to the middle when I pull out the floor and foam in the next month or two. I figure it will help balance out my weight when I am in there by myself, which isn't all that often but can be a religious experience. Why do you ask?
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2006 at 10:21pm
I see you are in FL, how close are you to a line from Tampa to Daytona? Using a couple of cans of gumout is not the way to clean and re-build a carb reguardless of who make the rebuild kit. Heading down that way in Feb
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2006 at 6:24am
im am in jacksonville
custom2001
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2006 at 12:14pm
79; Sorry to but in but I am in Lake Wales. Almost the center of the state next to Winter Haven, home of Cypress Gardens. We are halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Would LOVE to meet the famous 79. Stop and see me and Mrs. jbear.

1time17; glad to see ya posting again. Now we gotta get J_I_H back on to finish his story.

jbear
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2006 at 6:16pm
John I just may take you up on that come summer and take a ride on that beauty of yours and a boat ride would be nice to, just kidding our boat looks sweet. I'm in Iowa until the end of April then I'm heading back to St. Pete but my boat will be in Indiana still unless I get it sold come spring then I'm in the market for a 93-94 sport nautique with dual captians chairs.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2006 at 6:43pm
Holley? Edelbrock? Holley? Edelbrock? IMHO choose the one you think is the prettiest. I can rejet my Holley in about 10 minutes, however.

Hey Jbear, the end is coming, I have to get to it pretty quick. I find I am quickly forgetting things that happened during the trip.

Later all....
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2006 at 6:48pm
79; Sorry, but I thought your previous post said you'd be in FL in Feb. Anyhow, you are welcome anytime. I'd be glad to ride ya in the '80 but don't expect it to go like yours, she's totally stock. Why would you be selling that beauty of yours? You'll love the Sport. My bro has a '98 Air and after 5 Nautiques he loves the space. You can e-mail me when you think you may bae in the area. BTW, the Orlando reunion was in April last year. Great time. Don't know if ya ever caught the Ohio one, but if ya did ya know what I mean. So if you are here in April you might want to get there....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2006 at 8:04pm
Yeah 79, Why get rid of a beauty anyway?? Once you do, later you might wish you had her back when its too late!!
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2006 at 4:46am
1time17,

Try the Holley Website and get the Marine Carb # and then go to "Instructions". "How stuff works" Internet Site is great as well just in case you don't understand carb basics. Rebuild her yourself and learn something along the way. Don;t worry, there are several Carburetor "experts" on this Site and can help you with the process.

What made you decide to rebuild the Carb?
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2006 at 6:08am
I am planning on being in FL in feb but it is just for the week-end and most likely it will be at the track in Daytona. The reason I asked what part of FL 1time17 was in if it wasn't too far out of the way I would come over and grab his' carb and take it to my dad and have him re-build it for him then ship it back to FL. My Dad specialized in carb overhauls at his shop and could do it in his sleep. When I was young and got my first car we re-built the motor and he did the carb, being the smart ace that I am, a couple of monthes after we got it finished Dad bought a four gas analizer for the shop and I had him test it out on my car because I knew the carb wasn't set exactly right so we hooked up the machine and it worked like it was suppose to and any adjustment we made to the carb just made things worse so long story short the carb was right on to start with and that was the last time I ever questioned his abilities.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2006 at 10:37am
79; Ok, I got the picture on the shortness of the visit. Daytona for the race? Just to watch or professionally? Good story about your Dad. Mine couldn't teach me anything mechcanical but he did teach me to ski and lots of life stuff. Hopefully we can meet up in April.............john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 10:20am
Just watching, would love to drive in it or work but it's hard to get a ride as a rookie when your fourty.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 11:13am
Joe, I ask because My '65 Mustang had a reverse rotation 260ci orginal, I installed a std. rotation 302 few years ago, (it was a freebie deal) Now under hard take off, it list to the drivers side with only one person in it. Which like you is rare but a good thing sometimes! I am going to build a reverse enging for it later..... & I was not beating up the Edal carb, I have seen them and their a seemigly well built piece. I like the kind os carbs you never have to work on! LOL
NO LONGER A MEMBER
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 1:30pm
79; Would be cool just to be there to watch but to be in the pits: wow. Know what you mean about 40, I'm 55 and when I was looking for a new job after retirment, you should've seen some of the looks I got. And if I do say so myself, I ain't an old lookin' 55. Must be all that good living!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 2:09pm
Hey 79 and jbear, I'm right in the middle of you guys agewise but here's something I got at a motivational seminar years ago and was just reminded of in an email from the Dawg last week, it works for me.

"Youth is not entirely a time of life; it is a state of mind. Nobody
grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old by
deserting their ideals. You are as young as your faith, as old as
your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear;
as young as your hope, as old as your despair."

-Douglas Mac Arthur

Us old guys can do anything we want to, it might take a little longer thats all.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 2:39pm
81; Thanks! Just finished reading a biography of Gen. MacArthur. That quote works for me. Don't feel to old when I'm steppin' off.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic