Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder Connection

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Corby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder Connection
    Posted: January-14-2013 at 9:59am
Hi,
Lindsay Corbett here from Queensland, Australia. I don't personally own a correctcraft but that doesn't seem to stop me from helping out a mate repair his. Its a 1981 (I think) Ski Nautique, I will attach a pic.

The problem I am trying to solve is the steering. It turns much sharper to the right than to the left...... I have removed the rudder arm and found that it had a slight bend that was definitely effecting the turning circle. Fortunately I was able to bend it straight and that has fixed part of the problem. The question I have is how the steering cable attaches to the rudder arm. Should there be some sort of bracket between the two, or just a bolt as we have. I will attach a picture of how it is connected, before everyone reminds me of the importance of lockwiring the rudder bolts it is now done. I had just removed them to remove the rudder arm. Thanks for your help on this one!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 11:32am
Lindsay - I think you can affect the rudder centering by adjusting the cable housing clamp, just ahead of the connection in your photo.   If you loosen the clamp, the housing will slide for adjustment.   Sorry I don't have a photo of it since my boat is in storage.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 12:02pm
Make sure that the square on the top of the rudder is oriented with the point of the square facing directly forward when the rudder is straight. The V drive boats have a slightly off center square and a different tiller arm to adjust for this. If someone installed a V drive rudder that could be causing your problem. The cable end is usually affixed to the tiller am via a ball and socket connection. Your connection looks like it would have a bit of slop. The proper attachment would probably provide tighter steering.
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Corby Corby wrote:

This is what I see:
First the safety wire is missing on the tiller arm pinch bolt that should wire to the rudder shaft to tiller arm bolt.

Second the backing nut on the rudder port looks loose.

Tiller arm looks dry

And more than likely the boat is equipped with the wrong steering cable so that will effect the working geometry of the whole steering system.

What I see their is a very dangerous situation and the boat should be taken out of service until the steering system is installed and serviced correctly. If you are near or In Melbourne you can take the boat to Ski Force they will be able to facilitate the needed steering system service.

Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 12:20pm
I'd also turn the bolt around the other way and have the bolthead on the top of the rod arm. In the event that the nuts come loose and come all the way off, the bolt will fall straight down and you've just lost your steering, and it's gonna fall out when your running down the water and thats when someone is going to get seriously injured.

With the bolt pointing down you still have somewhat of a physical connection in the event the nuts come loose. It's gonna be ALLOT harder for the bolt to work it's way up and out of the hole.

The bolt should also be safety wired.

**post Edit   Jody beat me to it****
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 12:39pm
Jody, why do you say that this boat "probably" has the wrong steering cable in it? I dont see any giveaways. The pre-82 boats used generic Teleflex cables and not the longer throw/oddball length CC-specific ones.

I agree with Tim that the connection through the tiller arm is a little funky. That should be a big shouldered bolt with a swiveling piece that the cable attaches to. The tiller arm is threaded though, so the bolt wont fall out unless the nuts back off AND the whole thing unscrews. Also agree with the missing lockwire that Jody noticed.

Chris is right about adjusting the left/right travel. That is done by tightening the clamp block around the clamp block tube in the proper place. Sounds like yours needs to be moved.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2013 at 4:57pm
I was wrong on the Ball/Socket. ;). But I do have an entire correct arm and connection set up off the 87 parts boat that I can ship over seas! Take a look see.

Corby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 2:47am
Thanks everyone for your prompt replies!

Snobsessed, I have tried moving where that clamp mounts. There are two holes in the stringer(?) where it can be mounted. I wondered if maybe the wrong rudder was fitted as Phatsat67 suggested and then they moved the cable outer clamp to compensate?

Phatsat67, The wrong rudder is a good idea, I will remove the arm and check that out.

Floriday Inboards,
-I have the Lockwire issue sorted as I mentioned in my first post.
-"Second the backing nut on the rudder port looks loose."
Can you elaborate on this, I'm not sure I understand.
-"Tiller arm looks dry" by tiller arm do you mean arm connected to the rudder, or the steering cable. I had cleaned both to work on them and they will be lubricated/protected once I have it steering correctly.
-If it is the incorrect steering cable how do tell?

I just reread the detail about the clamp on the outer cable and it makes more sense now. I will check it out maybe I can get the adjustment I need with that clamp.

Thanks for the picture Phatsat67, I really need that little connector on the end of that rudder arm. Perhaps I can get one made up. I found a similiar item on the Nautiqueparts website but it says it is for earlier boats.
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/cleviskitadaptorfor1976andprior.aspx
Does anyone know if it will fit?

Thanks again.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 9:46am
It will fit. The kit is the same one used on newer boats... They market it to older boats as a retrofit. Yours would have had it originally.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Corby Corby wrote:

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies!

Snobsessed, I have tried moving where that clamp mounts. There are two holes in the stringer(?) where it can be mounted. I wondered if maybe the wrong rudder was fitted as Phatsat67 suggested and then they moved the cable outer clamp to compensate?

Something is up with 2 holes. Can you get a pic?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Corby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 6:23pm
Thanks TRBenj, I will order one and it will really tidy up that connection.
I will get a picture of the two holes on the weekend, not sure why they are there or if the second was ever used.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic