NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Obamas Gun Controle Proposal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obamas Gun Controle Proposal?
    Posted: January-19-2013 at 12:43pm
I haven't heard anything about the content of the new gun control rules.
I found them on the web.
Does it look like any of the new regulations will do anything to prevent the so called acts of gun violence? Looks to me like another waste of time and money that doesn't even address the real problem.

Published: January 16, 2013
What’s in Obama’s Gun Control Proposal
The initiative to reduce gun violence announced by President Obama on Wednesday includes both legislative proposals that would need to be acted on by Congress and executive actions he can do on his own. Many of the executive actions involve the president directing agencies to do a better job of sharing information.
Proposed Congressional Actions
•Requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales, including those by private sellers that currently are exempt.
•Reinstating and strengthening the ban on assault weapons that was in place from 1994 to 2004.
•Limiting ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.
•Banning the possession of armor-piercing bullets by anyone other than members of the military and law enforcement.
•Increasing criminal penalties for "straw purchasers," people who pass the required background check to buy a gun on behalf of someone else.
•Acting on a $4 billion administration proposal to help keep 15,000 police officers on the street.
•Confirming President Obama's nominee for director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
•Eliminating a restriction that requires the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to allow the importation of weapons that are more than 50 years old.
•Financing programs to train more police officers, first responders and school officials on how to respond to active armed attacks.
•Provide additional $20 million to help expand the a system that tracks violent deaths across the nation from 18 states to 50 states.
•Providing $30 million in grants to states to help schools develop emergency response plans.
•Providing financing to expand mental health programs for young people.
Executive actions
•Issuing a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
•Addressing unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
•Improving incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
•Directing the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
•Proposing a rule making to give law enforcement authorities the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
•Publishing a letter from the A.T.F. to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
•Starting a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
•Reviewing safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
•Issuing a presidential memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
•Releasing a report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and making it widely available to law enforcement authorities.
•Nominating an A.T.F. director.
•Providing law enforcement authorities, first responders and school officials with proper training for armed attacks situations.
•Maximizing enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
•Issuing a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to research gun violence.
•Directing the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenging the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
•Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
•Releasing a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
•Providing incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
•Developing model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
•Releasing a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
•Finalizing regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within insurance exchanges.
•Committing to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
•Starting a national dialogue on mental health led by Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of health and human services, and Arne Duncan, the secretary of education.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 2:15pm
Perhaps the next nut case will spend some people to death so we can push our political agenda.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 7:16pm
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 7:51pm
do you guys see this proposal as a line by line thing to be approved or not   or do you think its to be accepted or discarded as a whole in his mind
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

do you guys see this proposal as a line by line thing to be approved or not   or do you think its to be accepted or discarded as a whole in his mind

Peter,
I personally dont think it will pass.There are some things the House likes and most they dont. For example,a doctor telling about invading a person's privacey,"do you have any guns in your house"!! Or Mike Levin said with having a patient and kills someone but did not report it,now through the Affordable Care Act can be sued or could bring serious ligations against them.Doctors are even getting attacked on this.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:04am
Peter, all of Dave's above 23Items are to be done by executive order. Obama believes he can make those changes without any legislative approval. Pretty much a done deal. Obama also hopes the house and senate will go further.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:59am
ok i own guns and always have. i also work in a school. although it is too late , there is no reason for 50round clips and / or miltary weapons. our murder rate in the US is too high. the problem is now there is more guns than people. i am more worried about getting shot than having my gun taken away.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 2:56am
Not sure what scares me most about that statement.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 5:04am
So if guns ar tha problum then I giuss mi kee bord is @ falt fur mi mess spellun!!

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, pure and simple. If criminals knew that if caught and found guilty of murder, the consequence would be swift death, I'd bet the murder rate would drop in the US. That's what the problem is, these crazy people know they will get life or four. How do you sentence a man to four life terms, pointless. If his actions are that bad to receive that kind of time, out the court house he needs (or she) to go and straight to the firing squad. Dead man walking. And to add this opinion is for the cases that are black and white guilty with witnesses or some other means, basically guilty without a doubt.

For every action there's a reaction except for crime in this country. Here you act criminally with little to no reaction. Its crazy that you can get more time for tax evasion than you would armed robbery.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 11:31am
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

ok i own guns and always have. i also work in a school. although it is too late , there is no reason for 50round clips and / or miltary weapons. our murder rate in the US is too high. the problem is now there is more guns than people. i am more worried about getting shot than having my gun taken away.

Lets look at some facts. In 2009 there were 100 million rifles in the country[that includes so called assault rifles] .
There were 13636 murders, 9146 by gun.
348 were done by rifle that also includes assault rifles. That's a little less than 4%. The new regulations are focused on assault rifles and high capacity magazines. So even if they ban all rifles it still wont address the real problem. The government isn't good at fixing problems however they are great at making them.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 11:53am

that might just be in the top ten of everything i have heard . It almost cant be responded to
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 11:58am
I love the gun buy back program pictures local law enforcement have been running. I see some H&R break open single shots , model 94 lever actions , but most of all antique single shot 22s .Even if it stops just one mass squirrel killing   I will sleep better .
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:07pm
I believe anything such as broadening of background checks, an asault weapon ban or magazine limits have to go through congress and cannot be implemented by executive order.

On gun turn in programs, unless you hate guns, who in their right mind turns in a $500 gun for $50?

malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:10pm
ok . i am sorry but there is no reason to have a 50 round clip should i be able to buy a machine gun a rocket launcher ? where do you draw the line . i am sorry i am all for guns and own guns, but we haveto draw the line some where . the nra are a bunch of idiots. yes we need laws to protect us from armor pierceing bullets. i am sorry that everyone here is sore about obama winning the popular vote. i think you will find that the majority of America wants some sort of gun control.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:19pm

. i also work in a school.

As an educator?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:21pm
The majority of Americans know we already have gun control. What's being proposed is more gun control, none of which would have prevented any of the mass shootings if it were in place prior to. The President hasn't even tried to make the case that his proposals would have prevented Newtown.

The schools need to be secured better than locking all the doors except the front door and having a secretary keep an eye on it.

Most of these hi capacity mags are 20 or 30, not 50. That's an exaggaration.

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:22pm

ok . i am sorry but there is no reason to have a 50 round clip should i be able to buy a machine gun a rocket launcher ? where do you draw the line . i am sorry i am all for guns and own guns, but we haveto draw the line some where . the nra are a bunch of idiots. yes we need laws to protect us from armor pierceing bullets. i am sorry that everyone here is sore about obama winning the popular vote. i think you will find that the majority of America wants some sort of gun control.

the masses are incurably ignorant
-Plato

As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:24pm
also, you can buy a machine gun...it just takes a lot of money and you have to go through a lot of red tape.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:32pm
Malibud. the NRA may seem like idiots to you but they are just the equal and opposing force to fight and hopefully at least find a middle ground from the people who want to take all guns away from the private citizens . think about that and the repercussions of that. as for yes you should be able to buy a machine gun they are a great investment and if you read things as an educated school employee should you will find that the guns you refer to do not take part in the vast majority of crimes . and if i am not mistaken . since the gun control act of 1968 there has not been a felony commited by a licensed holder of a machine gun. as for why people want large capacity magasines ? are yo a target shooter? plinker with a 22? some people take target shooting to the next level. remember when you bought your first 22 single shot   plinking cans? then maybe you bought your marlin semi auto and could make 4 cans fly ? well its like that only for some it grows into big boy toys making multiple steel plates fall . be careful what you wish for your kids or their kids wont have a second amendment or other rights .
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:35pm
I can buy a 22 clip that holds 50 rounds . If the brady bill still was around it might have prevented something but it is all too late. there are now more guns than people...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:39pm
Dan You mistakenly assume that Obama wants to solve the problem. If you look at any of the "solutions" he has offered in the past four years they have been designed to do one thing only. That is to grow the size, power and wealth of government at the expense of the private citizens. Obama knows if he fixes a problem he looses the opportunity to offer his "solutions".
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

the masses are incurably ignorant
-Plato

We know, thats how we got Obama.
1987 Ski Nautique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:43pm
The NRA is far more than a political group. They are the authority on all things to do with guns, whether safety, competitions or collecting. The current background check system was co sponsored by the NRA and the Brady Compaign, although Brady Compaign always takes the whole credit for it.

All kids in public school should be taught gun safety. The NRA has or had an Eddie Eagle program where this guy in an eagle suit comes into elementary and middle schools and tells kids the message of "if you find a gun leave it alone, leave the room and tell an adult". Real basic stuff that all kids should be taught. Our school district voted it down about 10 years ago when the NRA offered it for free. They teach middle school kids how to have safe gay sex, but not gun safety.

The guns in questions aren't .22s.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:48pm
Obama's administration allowed 1,961 guns to walk to criminals as part of fast and furious, 57 have been linked to violent crimes including two mass shootings in Mexico. They want problems for their solutions.
1987 Ski Nautique

msanautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msanautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 12:59pm
OBAMAS A LOSER
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 1:00pm
Perhaps, if only our forefathers could determine the difference between the hunting muskets used to feed their families and the assault musket used for generations and wars to come.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 1:15pm
The forefathers wanted us armed against a tyrannical government, not for hunting.
1987 Ski Nautique

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 1:16pm
speaking of guns in schools...my dad tells me they used to have a gun club in school...kids would walk down the halls carrying their .22's on their way to club events (target shooting i suppose)...not 1 mass shooting...what is different now??
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 1:25pm
Rifle teams used to be common. My first year of high school was in 1972 and we had a new school without a rifle range. The old school had a rifle range and my brothers and my father had been on the rifle team. My brother says that on practice days and competitions, he'd bring his rifle to school and leave it in his locker.

I know plenty of people in Maine that say when they were kids, they'd bring their gun to school so they could go hunting right after school. They'd just leave it in their locker, no questions asked.

The world has really changed.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2013 at 1:39pm
something in the news i heard half asleep this morning . a girl suspended for pointing a bubble gun at another ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic