Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hey 79Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey 79Nautique
    Posted: January-15-2006 at 7:37am
Question for you or any other Ignition guru.

I'm still scratching my head over the point style ignition using a resistor. It's only 12 Volts being shot across the points collapsing the coil...so why is that so harsh that a resistor must be installed?

And if you have some time...what's the condenser do?

And if you're really bored and don't mind helping why must electronic ignition's be matched with a specific coil?

Sorry, probably too much time on my hands. Appreciate any help you can give me.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2006 at 8:12am
I am no 79Nautique but I have a bit of time this morning to start the replies.... A ballast resistor is there to limit the voltage you see accross the primary of the ignition coil to less than 12 volts, usually around 9. The coil is designed to run at nine volts so that you can get an effective spark during starting when the high current draw from the starter dips battery voltage to around nine. When the Ignition switch is set to run the ballast resistor is in series with the coil, when it is on start there is an additional wire that bypasses the resistor going right to the primary winding. That 3 or so extra volts might not sound like a big deal on the primary side of the coil, but its a 33 percent increase and can mean thousands of extra volts on the secondary side, it will work for a while, I have shorted a blown(or broken) ballast resistor to get home more than once but it won't last under load.

The condenser's function is a little less intuitive, it is a capacitor it lies across the points after they are opened. The opening of the points causes the magnetic field in the coil to collapse, the current from the primary circuit of the coil rushes out and charges the condenser the electric field of the condenser and the magnetic field of the coil bounce this current back and forth in a "damped oscillating LC circuit" (had to go to my old intro to EE notebook to look that one up). All this serves to extend slightly the length of the output of the primary coil past the opening of the points. I think most of that is right but I am a mechanical engineer not an electrical engineer.

As for coil matching on electronic ignitions my only reason is because the manufacturer says so... I would guess it has to do more with current limiting than voltage limiting... anyone else?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2006 at 3:59pm
The resistor also serves as a current limiter to prevent the coil from being burned up if the key is left on with the engine off and the possibility of the points being closed. The capacitor (condenser) is used to reduce RFI in the ignition system. Listening to a stereo in the boat without a condenser, would give you nothing but interference with the signal. Resistor plugs also serve the same function in reducing RFI.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2006 at 5:21pm
IMHO if your listening to the radio in a boat with a points style ingnition that doesn't have a condenser your going to have bigger problems than radio interference. If you can get it to run at all with the weaker spark, all the current rushing out of the coil on the low side after the field colapses that should be absorbed by the condenser is going to arch across the points making them toast in no time.
     I have seen some debate as to whether the condenser also plays an unintended role in RFI reduction but as they are on the low voltage of the coil I just don't see it being considerable. I do know cars have had condensers a lot longer than they have had radios so I am inclined to believe my intro to EE prof wasn't completely full of crap when he fed me the line about the "damped oscillating LC circuit". If he was someone let me know maybe I can get a tuition refund...
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2006 at 9:22pm
The purpose of the condenser is to eliminate arching across the points. Arching will burn up the points. I can imagine the side effect of arching points is a lot of radio interference.

Coming from a guy that does not like to deviate from factory original anything, trust me on this one: throw the points and condenser under your seat and install a Pertronix electronic conversion. You will thank me later. By-the-way, the Pertronix installation instructions call for the ballast resistor, is one exists, to be jumpered out (or removed from) the circuit.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 8:31am
I believe the ballast resistor is installed to limit current across the points. 12-15volts will burn the points quickly. Most coils will handle 12-15 volts without issues, so most electronic ignitions eliminate the resistor (no points to burn), but do not require that the coil be replaced. With this said, I believe there are coils out that do not handle 12-15volts and may fail.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 9:56am
If you read the instructions for installing Electronic conversion kits - most will state that you can bypass the ballast resistor, PROVIDED your system voltage at the coil when tested by this means reads this.

In other words sometimes you can remove the ballast resistor after you have tested the ignintion system per the manufactures methods and it meets the manufactures criteria.

So to simply state ( like a lot do ) that you can bypass ballast rest*tor when upgrading to a Electroninc conversion kit from points is extremely mis-leading and foolish.

The condensor's main perpuse is to redirect the current flow back to the coil once the points open. What NY joe said is pretty much on in regards to the condensor but I don't agree with the ballast resistor comments because there is no other wire to feed the coil that would bypass the ballast resistor.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 11:11am
If your objective is to bypass the ballast resistor you can simply connect a jumping wire from one resistor terminal to the other.

It may be that the internal impedence of the conversion kit is high enough to limit current flow eliminating the need for the resistor. This would, of course, vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. (Points provide almost zero impedence to current flow when they are closed.)

It doesn't really matter what the condenser does with it's current - it can send the current to Pluto as long as the condensor does it's job and prevents the points from arching.

In actuality the condenser absorbs energy from the primary coil winding created by the collapsing magnetic field within the secondary (high voltage) side of the coil winding. (Thereby eliminating an arch that would otherwise occur across the points as they opened.) The condensor discharges through the points when the points close. During the dwell portion of the cycle the points remain closed allowing current to flow through the primary of the coil. It is during the dwell when a magnetic field is developed around the magnetic core of the coil. It is the magnetic field itself in which the energy is stored and released through the spark plug when the points open and break the circuit. During the dwell portion of the cycle, when the points are closed, the condensor is shorted out by the points, effectivly removing the condensor from the circuit. When the points first open the charge level in the condensor is at zero - there is no current available within the condensor, to be sent anywhere. Sorry all - I couldn't help myself from the lecture - teaching electronics is how I butter my bread.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

So to simply state ( like a lot do ) that you can bypass ballast rest*tor when upgrading to a Electroninc conversion kit from points is extremely mis-leading and foolish.

Not sure this was directed at my post, but in case it was...you will notice I said "MOST electronic ignitions eliminate the resistor". I did not say "all". So, I agree that some manufacturers/kits may require the ballast to be left in place or risk burning out the module.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 1:03pm
No it wasn't, sorry for the confusion. It's just this topic has been talked about several times and like a most of us when we look at the instructions for anything we look at the diagrams and illustrations and install or build what we're working on. Only when and if we run into a problem or it doesn't work do we refer back to the installation instructions and there it clearly states the condition/test that have to be performed before you can by-pass the resistor in this case.

Ok correct me if I'm wrong which most likely I will be but as far as the resistance for the coil goes here's why V=IR voltage=current times resistance

So since the votage is constant under operating conditions (not during starting which can see a slight drop in voltage) the resistance of the coil effects the amount of current flowing to the electronics so if it is to large then you can fry the module, points, condensor and so forth. That's why manufactures specify the coil resistance for their particular set-up or distributor. Most are very close and almost all are commom.

it's these small little differances or specification from the manufacturers that get overlooked and can cause premature failure of coils, modules, points and condinsors and leave you scratching your head why you have to replace ign parts three times as often as your buddy does and you use your boat less.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 3:42pm
Man this is a good thread lots of information...

Quoting 79 nautique...

What NY joe said is pretty much on in regards to the condensor but I don't agree with the ballast resistor comments because there is no other wire to feed the coil that would bypass the ballast resistor.

I stick by my earlier ballast resistor comments however most of my ingnition experience has been with cars and trucks (well and way too much time with magneto setups on old outboards) so I hadn't seen a setup without the extra bypass wire to provide full voltage at startup that 79 Nautique refers to, after some research it turns out there are two types of ballast resistors. On some systems it seems there was no second wire, on a cold start the points would get current only through the ballast resistor which would have basically nil resistance when cold and eventually as the resistor warmed up the resistance would climb to 1.5 to 1.9 ohms or so.

In the early electronic ford setups the ballast resistor is retained (two wires) even though the points are removed. In that case its function is purely to protect the coil, although I can see how in earlier ignitions the function maybe more importantly related to saving the contacts of the points.

Good stuff all around...
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 7:12pm
I concur. I think all of the last comments are correct.

I had an old car in which the ballast resistor was bypassed by the ignitoin switch during starting. My CC is not wired this way. I think it is intersting. My belief is there is no "correct" or "in-correct" way to set this up. If we were racing the correct way would be the way that won.

So? Who knows? It may be the correct way is the way that results in the highest density of thongs per square inch. It should be noted that if the color of your carpet is neutral any color thong will look good laying on it. Anyone want to disagree with this?
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 7:15pm
Electronic ignition kits use "hall effect" pulsing elimiating points. Hall effect is no more than a coil of wire that is swept by a magnet. When this happens, you get a small induced voltage which is picked up by the module, thus no points. With this, if the key is left on, you wont burn out the coil as you would with a set of closed points with no resistor. This doesnt mean that the coil will handle direct batt voltage running. That Im not sure.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 8:37pm
J_I_H; Didn't understand a word of what you guys were talking about until you got to the "thongs per square inch" formula. It has been my experiance that thongs look good on your boat no matter what color your carpet or seats are. In fact thongs look good even if you don't have carpet.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 4:03am
Thanks guy's. 79 Nautique...always good info!Great posts all around! This is one of those subjects I ignored due to brain overload and really appreciate the help.

JIH....entertaining as always. When I return to Houston this year, I'll have to look you up.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 8:37am
Come on down 64. I'll be the guy ripping down Chocolate Bayou in a small old blue boat, grinning from ear to ear and leaving a small oil slick.

By-the-way, my new Acme prop just arrived. Now I guess I HAVE to pull the boat out of the water :(
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 9:00am
J_I_H: Make sure you post the results of the new prop. There are a few of us out here that have not moved up yet, and are interested in how much improvement you get....jbear
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 9:25am
No matter what the color of interior the boat has, the thong is stil going to look good and even better laying on the floor,

no tan lines ya know

Jim did you get the 470?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 6:26pm
79; I sure do like the way you think.

jbear
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic