Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Glassic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stringers
    Posted: January-15-2006 at 7:38am
I am working on my 1963 Ski Nautique. I have the 312 interceptor out of the boat and off to the shop for a rebuild. With the engine out... it's time to replace the stringers.

I am looking for tips, things to watch out for, and general advice, etc. from anyone who has tackled stringer replacement before.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 2:21am
Congratulations on the Project! I've done the stringer fiasco three ways:

Replaced the stringers on a '64. To date, it's one of the hardest projects I've witnessed on a CC. Trimming the stringer to fit was a pain and then laying glass over the top was no fun at all.

For local repairs, I trimmed about 12 inches of fiberglass off the top of the stringer where the mounts were. Dig out the rot and let it dry. Then pour in epoxy so you can tap and secure the mounts. The fiberglass provides the real support not the wood.

On a third boat, we put in a aluminum frame.

Overall, I think the frame was cheapest and quickest as well as the strongest (but I weld). Pouring in epoxy was the simplest and a do-it-yourself project. Replacing the stringer was a nightmare compared to the other two options and requires considerable woodworking and fiberglassing skills and two very large buckets of cuss words. Young kids will travel from miles away to hear the new vocabulary.

Good Luck and enjoy the 312.

Good Luck

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 7:37am
Whatever you do i would put PCM motor mounts back in place of the factory shimmed mounts. The PCM motor mounts are an aftermarket upgrade to help with alignment and are very strong! Call Bruce at midwest CC and he can tell you exactly what you need. I put them in my boat and man are they awesome! You may have to do a little welding on the front motor plate to match it up but nothing serious. Good luck.

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic