Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

454 V 351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lkhowell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkhowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 454 V 351
    Posted: January-16-2006 at 3:09pm
I am looking at a SN with a 454 and also one with a 351. Do you think the gas cost is going to be huge? Are then any other down sides you can see? Both motors have less then 20 hrs on them.

Thanks
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 7:27pm
I read somewhere on this site a saying I kinda like: "There's no replacement for displacement."

Yes, I think the gas cost is going to be huge. Go for it.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 8:30pm
Ikhowell; Ditto to what J_I_H posted. Never have to much horsepower. As to the gas cost, it's only money, what else ya gonna do with it? Can't take it with ya.

jbear
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
roadkingpuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadkingpuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2006 at 11:04pm
I have had two 87 SN's; one with a 454 and the other with a 351. There is a big difference in gas consumption. However, IMO, the fun of driving the 454 far outweighs the increased cost in gas. The 454 is like having a Harley on the water compared to a Honda (no disrespect meant to the 351 or Honda). Go for the 454. Your friends will help with the gas.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 4:08am
If you plan to have a Tower and weight up real heavy then go for the 454. If you primarily cruise and slalom ski get the 351.

Also, if installed, give the fuel injected engine more credit. A carbureted engine is tougher to maintain constant speed at wakesurfing and wakeboarding speeds especially when weighted heavy and running bow up.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
lkhowell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkhowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 7:50am
They are both '82 that I am looking at. I would just hate for the gas thing to kill me wallet wise.

Road King what would you say ball park you spent more for a day of sking from one to the other
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 8:04am
I've got the 454 in my Barefoot. We ride weekday evenings and fill up about every 3rd trip. I guess I don't notice the gas difference sice I don't have a 351 to compare it to :)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 8:06am
Sorry, another point I did not make clear....if you weight up big for wakeboarding and surfing the 351 is also a gas hog (so is my little 289) and there may be very little difference in gas consumption to the 454. Run a low pitch prop if you play like that and the consumption is even better.

If you keep hitting the secondaries on my 289 and wakesurfing with lot's of fat sac's that thing will devour gas....so I work overseas in the Oilfield to fuel my kids/my habits.

Compression test both engines. Also put a vacuum gauge on the intakes to see how well the valves are working. Check the fluids. Test drive them both if possible. Wiggle the rudder, make sure the drive shaft turns freely, check the motor mounts. Sorry if you know this already but get a jump on any repairs since it's winter. I was doing this on one boat and the PO got so nervous he started negotiating down!

Good Luck
64 Skier
71CC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 8:30am
You nailed it 64. Driving habits have more to do with fuel consumption than do bore & stroke. With a boat full of people and driving hard my 289 burns up a 20 gallon tank in 3 hours*. No doubt though, the larger mill will give you more when you want it.

Go for the 454. Resale is probably higher too.

*I just rejetted my Holley and went 2 sizes smaller on primary jets. The plugs were fouling black as a result of my last rejet. Maybe fuel consumption will improve???? (I'm hoping).
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 9:35am
I say gab the 454 to me it's a no brainer. Deep sound out the exhaust, More power, easier and cheap to add goodies. As far as the fuel consumption goes I would think they would be about even since the 351 would work hard pulling the same size person while maintaining the same speed than the 454.
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

You nailed it 64. Driving habits have more to do with fuel consumption than do bore & stroke. With a boat full of people and driving hard my 289 burns up a 20 gallon tank in 3 hours*. No doubt though, the larger mill will give you more when you want it.

Go for the 454. Resale is probably higher too.

*I just rejetted my Holley and went 2 sizes smaller on primary jets. The plugs were fouling black as a result of my last rejet. Maybe fuel consumption will improve???? (I'm hoping).

Jim, Are you running a stock ignition module on the hog?? Your fuel economy will definitely improve, but you should see a different in acceleration as well. I run a Power Commander programmable IM and dial things in.. Of course mine runs Fuel injection. My old Springer I used a SE ignition module and rejetted the carb and it ran like a raped ape !!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 3:57pm
Mojoman, I am running a Pertronix electronic conversion module which replaced my single set of points in my stock Mallory YL distributor.

My '68 289 Ford Interceptor is pretty much stock except for GT-40P heads, a SpeedPro cam, and Holley 450 CFM 4V carb.

I think the fuel economy problem is a combination of impropper jetting (which I am woking on) and my 1966 original prop (off my other boat). My new Acme prop is setting in a box in the garage waiting for me to pull my boat out of the water.

What is a Springer I? And just how fast can a raped ape run?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 6:34pm
J_I_H; Springer is a small Harley. And it don't matter how fast the ape runs as long as you're a little faster.

jbear
"Loud pipes save lives"

Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 8:15pm
Bwahahahahahahahahahahaah,,, I crack myself up.. Hear I'm reading Harley in my head instead of Holley.... Yep you can tell winter is already getting to me !!!! Doh'
Carry on J-I-H !!!

Moj'
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 9:04pm
Ohhh... a Harley? I figured a springer is an up-&-down spinner.... sounded pretty nice. Never had a springer... had a couple of spinners though.

D*mn right jbear... you better stay ahead of that ape. LMAO
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2006 at 11:13pm
Jim, I have the old boat as well and put on the Acme 542 and it will definitley outrun the ape now!
64 Skier
71CC
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 11:06am
If you dont get the 454. I WANT IT!!!! i dont care how much gas it burns thats why i have friends, besides im used to gas hogs i pull the boat with a 2500 hd with the 8.1 L.

I would sell my boat tomorow to have a 454 powered CC!!
Thanks Bobby

there's no replacement for displacement
roadkingpuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadkingpuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 12:03pm
Ikhowell,

Regarding fuel consumption difference between the 454 & 351; I would estimate approximately 25% higher with the 454. However, as mentioned on a previous post, it really depends on what you're doing. If there are only two skiiers and you use if for say, four sets each through a slalom course; then the fuel consumption won't be that different. If you have 4 or 5 wakeboarders and you are constantly doing stops/starts or if you are pulling all the nieces and nephews tubing all day; you will notice a bigger difference. However, the people I skied with always paid for the gas, since I provided the boat. So, the gas was never an issue. On a resale note; the 454 sparked a lot more interest than the 351. Definitely get the 454 if you have the chance.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 7:58pm
Some body said it on here somewhere; "there is no replacement for displacement". Besides, to much displacement would be like beer to cold or thongs to small. Go 454!...jbear
"Loud pipes save lives"

slalomguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 8:16am
454 makes a boat better for resale
[QUOTE=79nautique]
yea kiss me ass the rest of you sob's,
[/QUOTE]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic