NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

towers on old boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: towers on old boats
    Posted: January-18-2006 at 10:04am
Hey guys,

Would it be wrong to add a tower to my classic? Just pondering the idea and wanted to get all of your guys opinion. My boat is not all original anyway and would like the use of one??
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 10:11am
alot of people have, what yr and model. Some have used off the self universal towers and a lot of them look pretty ugly they don't flow with the lines of the boat and look like a jungle jim sitting on the gunnel. Others have made custom towers that look pretty sharp. If you are a do-it your-selfer then it's not that expensive to build, but if you pay someone to custom build one it gets a little more expensive then the off the self towers.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 10:21am

Mine is a 63 classic. I looked at the boat show last weekend and liked how the monster tower looks on mine, Monster tower has customer photo's on there web site and have a couple of 68's on there with the monster tower on them. Yea i would love to custom make one to suit my taste but not in the mood to tackle a project like that! Have you seen the towers on the Malibu boats? WoW if i could somehow make one of those fit on mine i think that would look awesome!! Check it out on there web. site

Paul,
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 10:34am
I like the forward swooping one myself pretty sharp looking but the only thing I don't like about it is that I don't think it folds down for storage and has to be removed not sure haven't looked into that much.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 11:09am
I installed a monster tower a few years back. It's rock solid....no complaints...and at the time it was only $895 w/free shipping (now they're a bit more spendy)....took about 3 hrs. and a six pack to install.

With that said.....this will ultimately be determined by what is most important to you. Form vs. Function....(the never ending debate).

Many Old Schooler's I've met on the water just can't understand the reason for putting 'roll bars' on an old boat.....(always an interesting conversation)    

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 11:16am
My $.02,

If you want the boat to be a show piece. Don't
do it.

If adding a tower will maximize you enjoyment of the boat, go for it. I'd just be sure that structurally your boat can handle it.

IMO, Monster is still the best price performance option out there. I think they are now up to about $1100 shipped. Malibu uses t*tan towers on many of their boats. If you like the t*tan, I'm sure you can find one to fit.

I like the newdimensiontowers for looks. They make custom towers which look like the new FCTs used on the newer correct crafts. Just makes the boat look like a correct craft IMO. However, they are about $2200.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 1:56pm
My '88 isn't the classic your boat is, but if I had $1100 lying around I'd slap a monster on it asap. I went the cheaper route (and less permanent if that's a concern for you) and put a skylon on it. it lests people sit in the back seat when boarding, has racks to get the boards up off the floor, and I can take it off so my cover still fits. Still though, $$$ is the only reason I don't have a tower on my boat.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 2:33pm
Its the classic original vs. functional thread, my personal taste is to make them look as close to original, but perform as good as or better than a modern boat. I ski/wakeboard behind my boat at least 20 hours a week in the summer, but 3-4 times a week I clean out the toys wipe out the interior, run a cloth over the chrome, put up the flags, and cruise with friends or family down to the local watering hole on the lake. This year I am adding a flite pipe which I hope will get me higher on the wakeboard but still come out for cruising. A compromise on the wakeboarding/skiing end to be sure, but I think my little mustang would look silly with a big tower. It's just too small. Its all about the compromise that works best for you I would never give anyone the business about doing something to thier boat that makes it more useful to them. Alright if someone puts one of those wooden 2x4 towers up on thier CC I might change my mind, but the kids that did that with thier no-resale-value-to-begin-with tri-hull are folk heros in my mind.

-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 6:52pm
I put a Monster on my 83 last year. It was a fairly easy job and it has greatly improved the enjoyment of my boat. They are called "pleasure boats" for a reason. I really like the new Bu towers, was at the Houston boat show last week and, yes they do fold down.
Bob Ed
83 2001
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2006 at 7:37pm
Paul; PLEASE say you're just kidding...jbear
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 1:52am
I'm also in the market for a tower, but will build it myself since some of the factory towers look like jungle gyms. I want the lines to match those of the boat and windshield.

After looking at about ten different styles and Brands what really struck me as odd was the price as compared to a Roll Bar for 4WD's. I must be missing something here and I'm not totally ignorant to this business since my line of work depends heavily on welding and materials, but a 6 point rollbar for a P/U is about $500. I know the "Towers" use aluminum, but assuming labor is the most critical component of overall price....what's going on with $2500 per unit. I'm not sure, but for an old CC you might take a picture to a talented TIG welder and get a much cheaper price.

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
slalomguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slalomguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 8:10am
Don't ruin your boat with a tower.
[QUOTE=79nautique]
yea kiss me ass the rest of you sob's,
[/QUOTE]
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 1:14pm
I havent made up my mind yet,but always thinking of ways to make it more fun! Maybee i could spend the money on a swim plattform and more ponies out of the motor?!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Shawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 1:26pm
Dude,

I put a tower on my 84 nautique, check it out im on the forum page as well(Shawn) I think second page. I know yours may look a little different but at leat it will give u an idea. I bought a Roswell tower,I think of all the towers i saw it went best with the boat and that was my main concern. Id definatly do it if I was you. I know alot of people dont like the idea of ruining their original look but i personally love the way it makes the older boats look by still keeping that real retro look, sweet! Plus if your lookin to start wakeboarding or already do then you know its a necessity. Anyway just thought Id give you my story either way best of luck and hope it works out for ya. Shawn
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 1:36pm
I just ordered a tower for my 81 today. I am getting one from new dimension towers. Normal, as BKH said, they are about $2200. But Wayne, the owner, doesn't have a pattern for an 81SN, but he said if I bring the boat to TN he'll do it for $1300... then, ontop of that he is taking off another $100 b/c of his January sale. It's 15% through the end of the month, but he said the lowest he could go was another $100, which was fine with me. hehe, as if the $1300 wasn't already fine.

What's the point of having a nice boat and not having all the fun you can in it. Get the tower. As important as form is, I think you should get all you can out of the boat.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 2:02pm
Paul,

You know I've been giving this some more thought. If you had a common boat, it would be one thing. But . . . you have a 43 year old boat, and a rare model at that. Assuming it is in pretty good shape, it would be hard to add a tower.

Then again, guys chop up classic cars all the time to make street rods.

Not a simple decision.

BTW, great deal on that tower Surroundsound.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 2:25pm
Paul, I'm kind with "Frazier" on this one. You have an older model that you don't see much and you have done an execellent job restoring it. It would be a shame to see a tower on that beauty of yours. If you want to wakeboard get a skylon or a different boat for wakeboarding and keep this one the way it is and show off all of that hard work you've put into it.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 5:51pm
Paul: I say again, PLEASE say you're kidding. I agree with BKH. I've seen pics of your boat. It is rare, almost one-of-a-kind. Keep it the way it is.

My .02

jbear
"Loud pipes save lives"

scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2006 at 7:42pm
Paul,

I agree with the guys that say you shouldn't alter a classic. You have a beautiful boat! However, I remember from reading some of your previous postings you know EXACTLY what color paint you have and can probably get an exact match on the paint. So we are only talking about drilling about 16 small holes. If you ever decided to sell the boat, pull the tower off, patch the holes and respray those areas. Keep the tower for your next boat or sell the tower seperately.

It really comes down to how long you are going to keep the boat.

Scott
mars88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mars88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2006 at 7:55am
I was just wondering if they made any "mini towers" for older boats. I remember seeing a smaller tower on a sport nautique a couple years back in the boat buyers guide. I thought they looked really sharp! I dont like the look of some of the sky scraper towers. They just dont fit the boats. If I were to put a tower on our boat it would have to be a "mini"

Also, How much stress do these things have on the boat? I have a buddie that has some bad spider cracks from a monkey bar. Just wondered if it was different from a tower.
mars
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2006 at 12:15pm
Yea Yea I know......I think i really just wanted to hear not to do it. It seems like i've always got to be Improving something Painting,increasing power ect ect... or i'm not happy! I think I'll by a late 70's or early 80's nautique to do that to. Thanks to all that replied to my thread, All input was very helpful!!!

Paul,
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2006 at 8:12pm
Anybody need to me to say my opinion on this? I'm with jbear - it's a joke right?

The classic CC police have been put on alert.

PS: My NOS Airguide speedo is all hooked up and still setting on the floor of my boat (between my feet) where it is waiting for me to cut a hole in my dash - I have not yet been able to drink enough beer to be able to point my drill towards my dash. (Although I did drill holes in the back of the boat to mount the pick-up. I am still having nightmares about that.)
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2006 at 8:51pm
Thanks J_I_H. I think you and I were the only guys who caught the joke.............AHHH right Paul, it was a joke.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2006 at 12:54pm
Hell yea....I thought i was the only one having nightmares about drilling holes in my boat....Officially I wont be putting a tower on my boat and thanks for the swift kick to wake me up!!! Oh and no it wasn't a joke...I guess....all in good humor! But i really did think about it for a while.

Thanks again!!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2006 at 12:18am
Hey JIH...send us a picture of you driving, drinking a beer and holding up that speedo so you can see how fast your going while navigating the Chocolate Bayou.

Kids...don't do this at home!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2006 at 6:39am
Thats funny stuff 64!!!
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2006 at 7:55am
LMAO 64. You got the picture. I'm impressed. That is exactly what is going on..... For all you lake runners, Chocolate Bayou is very narrow and winds like a snake. You never know when a 40MPH skier or a half drunk tube puller is just around the next bend and headed your way right down the middle of the bayou. It's exciting. I am sure they all talk about watching out for that old guy in the little old blue boat holdin his speedo in his hand.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2006 at 4:24pm
Oh, you mean THAT kind of speedo. I had a horrible image of an old man in a Speedo.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2006 at 5:14pm
I had the the same image Bob. I think I've been scarred for life.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2006 at 6:35pm
Mrs. jbear tossed out all my speedos years ago. Said they weren't for guys with a shape like mine. But they used to be all we wore. Big thrill footin' in a speedo. Had to make sure not to fall tho!

BKH; Glad to see your post. Hadn't seen ya for a few days.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic