Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery type/size

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery type/size
    Posted: February-09-2013 at 12:25am
Wondering if anyone with a 93 SN closed bow has bought a cranking battery lately? Been searching around for correct size. Maybe a battery model #? Thanks in advance. Ready to get back up and running.
93 Ski Nautique   SUCK MY WAKE
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 11:04am
Group 65
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 11:14am
Dave, the owner's manual for my 93 Sport states the following:
Engine size 351, cold crank 380 amp, reserve capacity 115, battery type 43 marine, 13"L x 8"H x 6 3/4"W.
The battery on my Sport is located under the middle stern seat base. Would think is would be the same on the SN.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 12:54pm
I have a 1993 SN closed bow, and a group 65 battery fits snugly into the box. I got one with 880 cold crank amps. 380 is a minimum. It looks like you know not to get a deep-cycle battery already. I told the guy at a Batteries Plus place up here that I was looking for a battery for a muscle car with a 351 Ford V-8 and wanted a group 65 size battery. I got exactly what I needed.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 2:15pm
Kevin, bought my boat back in June of '07. PO put a Sears Die Hard that is a little too big. Sits at a slight angle in my battery box in the stern. Have used that battery for the last six summers with no problem.
Figure it is getting about time to replace it. Yes, I know not to get a deep cycle (no trolling motor on my Sport!). Will be looking for a group 65 when the time comes.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 3:22pm
Hi, Jim. I looked through the owners manual for my 1993 Ski and all it says is a minimum of 350 CCA's. It also mentions that more information is located in a sticker on the underneath side of the lid that goes over the battery box. In the Ski the battery is located up front under the observers seat.

I don't want to jack a thread, but in the box are two plastic tie-down pieces that accept a strap used to hold down the battery. I don't have these plastic parts nor the tie down strap. Anybody have an idea where I could buy replacement parts for my battery compartment?

Kevin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

I don't want to jack a thread, but in the box are two plastic tie-down pieces that accept a strap used to hold down the battery. I don't have these plastic parts nor the tie down strap. Anybody have an idea where I could buy replacement parts for my battery compartment?
Kevin

Kevin,
You should be able to find webbing and buckles to match at the hardware or home improvement store.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 3:48pm
Thanks, Pete.

I also answered my own question as I did some more online research today and in 5 minutes I found this:

Amazon battery kit for under $8
LAKESIDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAKESIDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 5:59pm
Thanks guys. I also know to get a regular battery not deep cycle. I already have one of those running my sound system. Separate from starting system. And i found this after some searching from Wally world. Looks decent enough. EverStart Maxx 65S

Also on the straps try a upholstery shop or marine canvas shop we keep those in stock. There cheap also.
93 Ski Nautique   SUCK MY WAKE
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 6:09pm

Thanks, Pete.

I also answered my own question as I did some more online research today and in 5 minutes I found this:

Kevin,
That kit will do the job but just be careful of how deep those screws go. It may have been before you joined but we did have a member who wanted to drain his battery box into the bilge. What he didn't realize was the bottom of his box was the hull. Yup, he drilled and then hear water running onto his garage floor!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by LAKESIDE LAKESIDE wrote:

i found this after some searching from Wally world. Looks decent enough. EverStart Maxx 65S

Dave,
Just be careful with getting the largest CCA available in a given group size. Plate support is sacrificed for plate area for the amps. This makes the battery suspect to damage from the rough conditions in a small boat. Years ago, I made the mistake twice before I found out what they do inside to get the amps. If the CCA isn't needed, don't get the big one. I suggest one step lower in CCA for the group size needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 9:52pm
Not sure what the difference is between the 65s and 65n is, but I run the latter ever start max in nearly every boat I own. Good choice.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Not sure what the difference is between the 65s and 65n is,

From the Everstart website:
"The N & S designation means North and South. South are designed to withstand extreme heat & North the cold."

Still, doesn't really explain anything!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 11:52pm
Going on to 2013 with the original battery from a 2000 Lincoln cranking a PCM 302
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 3:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Thanks, Pete.

Kevin,
That kit will do the job but just be careful of how deep those screws go. It may have been before you joined but we did have a member who wanted to drain his battery box into the bilge. What he didn't realize was the bottom of his box was the hull. Yup, he drilled and then hear water running onto his garage floor!!

Oh no! That would be a real oops. Ha ha.

I narrowed in on this kit because it replaces exactly what is in a 1993. See the black plastic piece in the battery box on the right in this photo (this was taken as part of my floor repair project)? You can't tell here but that piece is broken, and on the other side it was completely missing. So I'd be attaching the replacement parts into the side of the box not towards the bottom. And a 1993 battery box already drains into the bilge.

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 9:52am

And a 1993 battery box already drains into the bilge.

My 88 has a drain, but it wasn't going to the bilge.   

Now it has bulkhead fittings and clamps.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 11:24am
Has anyone ever had a battery jump out of the box? With the cover on?

I haven't been tying my battery down at all.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 11:33am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Has anyone ever had a battery jump out of the box? With the cover on?

I haven't been tying my battery down at all.

No and I don't have anything holding down the batteries in any of my boats. However, there are some USCG regs on enclosing and retaining batteries.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 11:39am
I don't remember what group battery I have, but it is several inches shorter than the box.   I have some plastic blocks next to it to keep it from sliding around.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic