NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Nautique!!!!! Help!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Nautique!!!!! Help!!!!
    Posted: February-19-2013 at 11:57pm
Well it finally happened. After dreaming about these damn boats my entire life I just went to pick up my 1996 ski Nautique 176. I got it off a Craigslist add from Cedar Rapids from a couple that were getting ready to move out west.

It came with some items that need to be addressed. The engine has not been run in 2 years, that battery is toast, and the steering cable is broken. (Only mentioning boat items, trailer will come later).

I will post a bunch of pictures from the journey from Cedar Rapids to milwaukee as soon as I get home to my pc. I will also make a diary entry.

Now here come the questions.

I plan to drain the transmission this weekend. I built a drill pump with 1/4" tubing to suck it out. I read the FAQ thread on this process but I want to make sure that Dexron/Mercon is the correct fluid for this tranny? ATF is a requirement, no synthetic, no high mileage, and no additives.

Second, I will be changing the oil obviously. I plan to go with Valoline VR1 with ZDDP. Do I have this correct?

Third, the battery that I pulled was a Dura-Start 58R-2. Would you guys suggest I go with the same battery or is there something else I should be looking at?

Last for now, I will order a steering cable ASAP. Is there a good thread with any pictures of a replacement. My searches didn't yield anything. Mainly, does a new cable come with the pusher arm? If not, how do I separate mine from the teleflex cable? I don't see any discontinuity between the two pieces.

I really really really have to thank Chris (snobsessed) for going out of his way to help a perfect stranger (me). If it weren't for his help and advice, I would not have been able to pull this off.

Cheers Chris!

1999 Ski Nautique 196
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:23am
Chris - You are very much welcome - any of the guys on the site would have done the same, it was just my turn.

Tip - I find it easier to use google to search the site - just add "   +correctcraftfan.com" to your search term & it comes back with plenty of info.

No special battery is needed, some guys just get a Walmart group 65.

Looking fwd to seeing your progress on the cleanup.

Here is a pict of where the cable separates from the extension tube, from one of the posts:

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:33am
Is this the same thing?

http://m.flickr.com/lightbox?id=8490136937

1999 Ski Nautique 196
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:37am
Proper Link

I didn't see any pictures at the link Chris.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:40am
I know nothing about flicker, but I clicked the "view all sizes" on the upper right corner and it came up.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:43am
Obviously I know NOTHING about flicker. Thanks Dave, it worked.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:44am
Sorry for the bad link. I'm on my phone right now and that was sort of a test. Sorry Pete.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:46am
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:51am
Yes, that is the tube. It has a nut that attaches it to the cable housing.

I had trouble loading the picture since it came off the site. Funny, it shows up in my browser.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 1:14am
Great find Chris,I think she'll clean up great. Two suggestions though,others will confirm,I think the steering cable will need to be bought from a dealer,they are on some years a special length. And make your reservations now for the Green Lake reunion!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 9:54am
176's are cool.

I would look at the recent posts on lost tubing in the transmission before sticking plastic tubing in for drainage. The state of the art seems to be evolving to include copper tubing on the working end.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 11:07am
Congrats, i've always wanted a 96 176.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 12:58pm
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 1:00pm
Nice Garage, jealous!
1970 Mustang
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 1:37pm
Nice! Very cool boat.

Funny, I was able to open the photo in Google Chrome (which has flash baked in), but not on my Firefox (which won't install the flash plugin at work for some reason)

So, flickr must have an element of Flash, or something else that causes problems.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 2:01pm
Does it still have the original rudder? If so, changing it supposedly will make a significant handling improvement.

Never used one myself but others have said the everlast/everstart from Wal-Mart are good batteries at a decent price.

You might want to get a decent pump for oil changes, tried all kinds and the suk-up is by far the best, mine must be 8-10 yrs old and still working fine.

Congrats
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 2:39pm
I wish that was my garage. That is a heated airplane hanger. I work part time at a skydive company so the owner lets me use the hanger in the off season.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 3:00pm
Our Suck Up gets a lot of use and is way better than a drill pump or turkey baster... but a buddy of mine has a Mitivac and I think its probably a higher quality pump. The 1/4" tube is fine but be careful when sticking it down the hole. The copper trick may be preferred.

Youre good to go on the oil (VR1, their 20w50 is my 2nd favorite- right behind Mobil1 15w50, which also has the ZDDP you need) and the ATF (conventional Dex/Merc or DexIII).

Battery... Group 65 will fit the box best, as mentioned above. Go with a good starting battery and not a deep cycle ("marine") one. The Everstart Maxx batteries from walmart are pretty decent and reasonably priced.

Agree with the posts above regarding the steering cable- most likely a dealer only item.

Also agree with Quinner on the rudder... N3 should have the oddball 176 replacements with the 1-1/8" shaft. Assuming youve got one of those home made stainless ones on the boat now, that would be a good handling improvement.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 3:03pm
WHat does the suck up look like?
1970 Mustang
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 3:33pm
I was able to find an old car fuel pump and some hose lying around... hooked it to my jumper battery and it worked great.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

WHat does the suck up look like?

Don't know, never seen a picture of you??
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 3:57pm
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 4:45pm
Thanks for all the info gents!

I think ill find a bit of copper and just add it to the hose as insurance for now until I can get a better pump.

Ill check for the battery at Walmart and ill also look into the rudder this season. For now I also have to do a lot of work on the trailer to get it ready for more frequent use. The next month and a half is going to be a great learning experience and I'm really looking forward to it.

More pics soon.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 5:03pm
Hey Tim why not a deep cycle? Just wondering. Costco has good prices on batteries as well. Nice looking boat, best of luck!
1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by audiodude audiodude wrote:

Hey Tim why not a deep cycle? Just wondering. Costco has good prices on batteries as well. Nice looking boat, best of luck!

Deep cycles are for a slow drain over a long period of time. Some might run the deep cycle as seperate for there stereo. On bigger boats, they are used for the "cabin" electrical. Also good for trolling motors.

For the short term, heavy draw of cold engine cranking, you want the starting battery.

This is one case, where you just want a plain old automotive version of the part. A Starting battery. The reason a particular size is specified, is because of the typical dimensions of the battery boxes in these boats.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by audiodude audiodude wrote:

Art,
Hopefully you don't have a deep cycle in your boat now. Many have made the mistake of asking a very uneducated salesperson for a "marine" battery and end up with a deep.

As with anything you buy, it's always a good idea to do some research first if you aren't fully aware. CCfan is the best for CC related but the internet has ton's of info too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2013 at 9:47pm
A Blue top optima could serve well as a deep cycle alternative only if you really need it, which could be what art is referring too. Unless you are running a bunch of electronics like amps or led lighting, probably not required.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 9:48pm
So I've read all the threads about getting your tube stuck in a tranny :)

Side question.........I can't be sure what fluid the PO had in the tranny and I know it's been sitting for at least 2 years. How much of the 20w can mix with Dexron/Mercon before it causes a problem?

Is there a way to test which fluid is in there already?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

Side question.........I can't be sure what fluid the PO had in the tranny and I know it's been sitting for at least 2 years. How much of the 20w can mix with Dexron/Mercon before it causes a problem?

It won't. ATF is pretty much a 10 to 20 weight oil with lots of detergents.

Suck as much as you can. Run the trans for an hour or so and change the fluid again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 10:14pm
What Pete said. It'll be obvious what's in the tranny now. Oil is brown/gold and ATF is red.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic