NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Repair 1985 2001 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 10>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2014 at 10:28pm
Forgot to mention the bilgecoat...

I wanted to use gel as I also think it's the best skin for the bilge, but I didn't for lack of time and equipment. I used white BC without the flakes(if I remember right) and it's held up very well; much better than I expected. It's very durable and easy to clean.

Does the boat have the same attitude now as it will have in the water? Will it float like it is sitting?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I brought that cutting board up long ago, and I don't remember it being a topic, and it cost me a bit   (~$60 with the razor wheel), but it was super worth it. I started a few other ways...it saved many hours and climbs in and out of the boat.

+1 on the razor wheel /pizza cutter.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2014 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I thought I was clear, but somehow I am failing to make my point... From the transom of the boat to the front of the engine compartment, the mains are fully exposed- even when the boat is finished. The floor does NOT attach to them. They are exposed in the engine compartment, and a removable panel sits on top of them just aft of that. The gas tank sits on them all the way in back. Nothing "glues" on top of them, floor or otherwise. This is why they need to be wrapped over the top in these areas- to make them fully sealed, added impact resistance, etc.

Agreed, this is not rocket science.

+1
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2014 at 7:36pm
My '88 was the 'pink'? glass. It's an odd color.

Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

With the 1985 2001 Ski Nautique, there are a few places that water simply will not drain from (aft of the rudder connection had a 1 inch valley for example).

We have different hulls, though mine was probably similar to TRBenj's.

I filled that same spot, and a few others, with 'extra' (is there such a thing?-Whatever you think you need from US, GET MORE!; you'll order at least once more)epoxy from US and scraps from the cutting board I got.
I used a particular board(don't remember where I found it).

I brought that cutting board up long ago, and I don't remember it being a topic, and it cost me a bit   (~$60 with the razor wheel), but it was super worth it. I started a few other ways...it saved many hours and climbs in and out of the boat.

I don't know if anyone is using the pumpkin patch, and I'll look...

Someone may already know?
1988 BFN-sold

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2014 at 6:07pm
Isn't an '87 hull built with polyester? So the Bondo should stick to original hull laminate?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2014 at 5:20pm
I would guess that yes, you would have a problem with Bondo. The conventional wisdom is that epoxy can adhere to polyester, but polyester can't adhere to epoxy.

Of course this is not structural, but I don't know that anyone has concrete examples of being able to build something in poly over epoxy and having it stay.

I too would like to know about the bilge paint. I'm leaning towards using the garage floor epoxy that others use. With the Bilgekote, I'm unsure of what primer you need and which "flavor" to choose.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2014 at 5:17pm
Trying to get the bilge to drain perfectly will be an exercise in futility. Filling low spots as deep as 1" with low strength filler is impractical and ill advised. Poly based fillers like bondo won't stick well to epoxy either. I'd leave it be.

I've tried several bilge finishes and like gelcoat best.   With a vinylester conversion coat over the epoxy, gel can be brushed on. It'll lay down pretty well and look good with 1-2 coats. It'll also be very durable. Bilgekote will NOT stick directly to epoxy, it needs a special conversion/primer (ask me how I found that out). It's decent stuff as far as paint goes but gel is no more work, more durable and similarly priced.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2014 at 4:57pm
So while I'm waiting on my order of fiberglass tape from US Composites, I was looking at the way some of the guys did their bilges....

With the 1985 2001 Ski Nautique, there are a few places that water simply will not drain from (aft of the rudder connection had a 1 inch valley for example).

I was thinking of using a epoxy with a filler to improve drainage (of course this would be expensive), and then I saw where someone used "Bondo" ~~~ I did a bit of research, and saw that it uses a polyester resin.

I was thinking this could be a much less expensive solution, but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have any problems putting the polyester based bondo over my epoxy based fiberglass.

Can anyone direct?

Also, I was going to use Jamestown's Interlux Bilgekote Paint
(http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=119&familyName=Interlux+Bilgekote)
when I get ready to paint the bilge.... is this what you guys would recommend or is there a better alternative?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
Stringer replacement job completed July 3 2014.
Exterior painted June 2015.
The Trailer is next.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2014 at 11:47am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

I'm suggesting the same thing you drew last May with some additional layers of cloth over the top. If it is all laid down at the same time then is cures as if it is a single piece and should be strong enough to do the job. All you're trying to do is glue a board to the floor and keep it from getting wet and rotting, we're not building the space shuttle here.

I thought I was clear, but somehow I am failing to make my point... From the transom of the boat to the front of the engine compartment, the mains are fully exposed- even when the boat is finished. The floor does NOT attach to them. They are exposed in the engine compartment, and a removable panel sits on top of them just aft of that. The gas tank sits on them all the way in back. Nothing "glues" on top of them, floor or otherwise. This is why they need to be wrapped over the top in these areas- to make them fully sealed, added impact resistance, etc.

Not sure if youre thinking of the secondary stringers and how they tie to the floor, or if youre just way out in left field. Take a look at the pic I posted above, it should be pretty clear?

Agreed, this is not rocket science.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2014 at 11:34am
I'm suggesting the same thing you drew last May with some additional layers of cloth over the top. If it is all laid down at the same time then is cures as if it is a single piece and should be strong enough to do the job. All you're trying to do is glue a board to the floor and keep it from getting wet and rotting, we're not building the space shuttle here.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2014 at 11:17am

If you use the same cloth & resin in a composite lay up ,fiberglass,Kevlar(nomex),carbon whatever
The strongest part is determined by cure type, autoclave is far and away best. Second best is atmospheric pressure (vacuum bagging/ resin infusion , then wet lay-up.
With an autoclave you still use vacuum pressure at first and bleed off the vacuum as the external pressure is applied. External pressure can be as much as 100 PSI.
Bagged parts are very good quality with minimal porosity
The hang up is the time it takes to lay up the part with the bleeder schedule and bagging it.
Room temp resins will kick if you have a medium or large part.
So pre pregs are used (resin infused fiber) frozen rolls that are thawed the night before and cured in an oven. Usually temps are 250/350*f
When using a wet lay-up weigh out small amounts of resin never more than 400 gms. On a large lay-up
weigh out several cups then mix them as needed to avoid an exothermic reaction.    
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2014 at 10:58am

I didn't say don't wrap them, I said you don't need to have a complete piece of biax across the top. Use biax like tape on the floor and the sides and tie the layers together with cloth that covers everything. Not as strong as one piece would be. The only difference would be a little less strength in the direction the stringer is least likely to break, there's still fiberglass over the top.

Not saying you cant wrap the tops of the mains with multiple layers of thinner cloth instead of one layer of thicker stuff (mat or biax)... but it still sounds like you do not understand the construction of a pre-89 2001. The mains are fully exposed over a good portion of their length. By "fully exposed", I mean the top and both sides- the floor is 6"+ away on the other side of the muffler. Knowing the context of the repair/construction is step #1 when dispensing advice.

From page 1 (prior to tear down):

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2014 at 1:21am
Infusion can burn up a lot of money real quick and leave a huge mess thats hard to clean up, but if it worked it sure would be easy and it would leave you with a stronger end result. My thinking is that you would have to be familiar with the process from doing smaller parts first so you could work out the specifics of doing something as long as a stringer. I would guess a stringer would require some sort of manifold on each side to pull resin from the floor level to either the top or across to the other side from more than one spot. The benefit would be that you could use less resin and possibly less cloth and end up with as strong a laminate as possible.

If they can do whole boats with it then a stringer should be no problem, we just don't have the advantage of using a highly paid consultant or engineer to work out all the bugs for us in advance. It's definitely on the list of things I would like to learn to do, just don't have a reason to move it to the top right now.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2014 at 12:26am

Bagging a whole stringer would be quite a chore for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with the process. I think you would have an easier time with resin infusion,

I agree bagging is a skill. For resin infusion a vacuum has to draw the resin from one side to the other while the resin is pumped into the bag/mold. The clean up is very messy. The valves and fittings are a one time shot (mostly)

Fiberglass has a chemical finish (starch) on it for several reasons, resin compatibility, drape (stiffness), electronic protection, ect. There are dozens of finishes.

If the glass won't drape 90 degrees at the radius needed, the finish won't allow it or the size of the glass strand is to thick.

If that happens the tendency is to add more resin but ideally 60 percent fabric 40 percent resin by weight is best. (ish)

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2014 at 12:06am
I didn't say don't wrap them, I said you don't need to have a complete piece of biax across the top. Use biax like tape on the floor and the sides and tie the layers together with cloth that covers everything. Not as strong as one piece would be. The only difference would be a little less strength in the direction the stringer is least likely to break, there's still fiberglass over the top.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 11:31pm

If you have to start over, run a round over bit down the top of the stringers to make it easier. Since everything will act as one structure when its done, some biax on the floor and up each side of the stringer covered with some woven cloth to tie it all together would be easier. I doubt you need the strength of the biax going across the top of the stringer with the floor sitting above that.

Careful, it sounds line you are unfamiliar with how a '85 was built. The main stringers are exposed over 3/4 of their length- from the transom to the front of the engine compartment. I would most definitely recommend wrapping the tops of the mains where the floor does not bond to them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 11:12pm
Bagging a whole stringer would be quite a chore for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with the process. I think you would have an easier time with resin infusion, but its still something that you should work the kinks out of the process before you attempt a whole stringer.

If you have to start over, run a round over bit down the top of the stringers to make it easier. Since everything will act as one structure when its done, some biax on the floor and up each side of the stringer covered with some woven cloth to tie it all together would be easier. I doubt you need the strength of the biax going across the top of the stringer with the floor sitting above that.

I have looked at quite a few race boats where they used very little material to keep the weight down, but the boats still take way more abuse then our boats will see. I think we seriously over do it with materials to make up for the fact that we don't know exactly how much we need and if its being done correctly. I'm sure it will be fine, I've never seen someone post about blowing their new stringers out. There is an interesting thread on Wakeword where this will likely happen, but he glued new wood to rotten stringers and then covered it with bed liner.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 9:17pm
It helps if you pre fold or crease the mat and USE a fiberglassing roller.
If you're not using a roller, you're not getting all the air out. Once you roll the air out, it will stay in place. The roller also aids in pushing out excess resin.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 7:49pm

I think you'll find that mat is about 90% as difficult as the biax when it comes to curves. Try letting it tack up a little before molding it over the stringer.

I'm assuming you missed this note from before. The mat will not be appreciably easier to mold over the tops than biax. Both are thick, and thick stuff doesn't do sharp corners well- let alone 2 90's over an inch or 2 span.

Put it in place, wet it out, then form over the top. It will come off, as you've noticed, but the next part is key- wait a few minutes (allowing it to tack up slightly) and try again. Repeat as necessary.

Btw, if the secondary stringers will be capped by the floor and won't be exposed to the bilge (as is common), no need to wrap the tops of those. Most people don't.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I dont recall what the failure was, but if you are worried about layup nothing beats vacumm bagging for a pristine layup with minimal epoxy.

The failure was that the biax didn't bond to the wood on the tops of the stringers ~ in many places ~ so I had to sand it off.

What is "Vacum bagging?" I've never heard of it, but I love the sound of "pristine layup and minimal epoxy!"
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 7:28pm
I dont recall what the failure was, but if you are worried about layup nothing beats vacumm bagging for a pristine layup with minimal epoxy.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 7:19pm
Okay ~ well, I'm out of 2" and 4 inch cloth tape.

I have an abundance of 8" inch tape, and only the inside Secondary stringer to tape/ set....

So while the tape is on order, I was planning to put mat over the tops of the three taped in stringers. If you'll recall, I tried bi-ax, and failed once already. This is the part of the job I'm most worried about because of the cost of the epoxy ~ assuming a second failure.

I was also thinking of doing the bulkheads....Suggestions?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by captbob626 captbob626 wrote:

Great Post, Just began cutting the floor today on my 83 ski nautique, Was hoping the stringers were OK but were pretty wet under the observer seat. Guess I'll have to replace stringers. How far forward does the main stringers go? I cut up to about 1" behind the air box and haven't removed any foam yet. cannot see the forward end with all the foam.

Best thing you can do is to start your own thread, and post pictures as you go. Lots of very capable hands here to guide you (me not one of them).

lol

Good luck.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
captbob626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 8:01pm
Great Post, Just began cutting the floor today on my 83 ski nautique, Was hoping the stringers were OK but were pretty wet under the observer seat. Guess I'll have to replace stringers. How far forward does the main stringers go? I cut up to about 1" behind the air box and haven't removed any foam yet. cannot see the forward end with all the foam.
Bob Meimbresse
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 5:54pm
I agree you've done most of the hard work already..
And it could be worse ive owned mine through 2 seasons and am still yet to get it wet!!!!!!
'82 Ski Tique
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 5:48pm

Dont concede yet! Youre heading into winter- you can get this done before next summer. Stick with it.

While Im certain the local boat yard would be happy to take your money and give you back a working boat, I would be very skeptical of them "doing it right". I have not yet seen anyone pay for a stringer repair job that was done to the standards set by the worst stringer repair documented on this website. I have no doubt youre more capable of finishing the boat properly than someone who is paid to do it.

TRbenj ~~~ why are you always motivating me? lol

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

I think I'm going to get the stringers in, and take all my materials up to the local boat yard, and pay them to get it done ~ and done right.

Dont concede yet! Youre heading into winter- you can get this done before next summer. Stick with it.

While Im certain the local boat yard would be happy to take your money and give you back a working boat, I would be very skeptical of them "doing it right". I have not yet seen anyone pay for a stringer repair job that was done to the standards set by the worst stringer repair documented on this website. I have no doubt youre more capable of finishing the boat properly than someone who is paid to do it.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 4:35pm
Well, I'm back at it ~~~~ I had a dream that the automotive repair shop that is 'holding' my motor for me, sold it on eBay.... Nothing like fear to motivate one to aspire.

An update before I checked out of the repair project, I had both Starboard side stringers in and locked down. I was having trouble with the biax overlap, and failed twice... so I ordered mat.... It's been sitting in the shop since it arrived ~ unopened.

The Port side main stringer is in. It is not locked down, but it is sealed to the floor w/ epoxy & milled fiber.

The secondary stringer needs a one or two more treatments of Jamestown CPES, but will go tomorrow.

Looking back, I wish I had paid the man to do the repair.

In my arrogance, and desire to "save a dollar," I cost the family the whole boating season ~ and since we did not do a vacation, the lake was the only respite. It would have been worth the money to have the memories.

I think I'm going to get the stringers in, and take all my materials up to the local boat yard, and pay them to get it done ~ and done right.

Fair warning to anyone else out there considering the task.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 8:55pm
I think you'll find that mat is about 90% as difficult as the biax when it comes to curves. Try letting it tack up a little before molding it over the stringer.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 8:17pm
Update:

Port side secondary stringer looks good.

The biax over the tops of the stringers is officially a non starter for me. That material I think is good for seams, and general reinforcement, but was not designed to be contouring around a stringer..... at least not someone with my skill set.

I've changed my layup plans and am just doing 2/2/4/4/8/8/biax ~ and mat over the tops of the stringers on the mains.

the Starboard will be: 2/4/8/biax/mat.

Once this is done, I'm going to add some mat (or maybe that biax) to the starboard sidewall to beef that area up. It is amazingly thin!

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 10>
  Share Topic