NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Repair 1985 2001 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 10>
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by ATXMatt ATXMatt wrote:

Flap Disks Harbor Freight 36 grit - http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-36-grit-flap-disc-67642.html

Flap Disks Harbor Freight 60 grit - http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-60-grit-flap-disc-67641.html

Those won't cut it unless all you plan on sanding is paint save the flap disk for the final sand before paint.
These are what you want
http://www.toolup.com/makita_a-94580_4-diamond-blade-turbo-hard-material.aspx
and these Most autobody supply should have these
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/3M-Arbor-Mount-Sanding-Disc-2FWA1?Pid=search
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 4:08pm
Holy guacamole, is it just me or compression completely lost on the server that runs this forum? If its home served, might be the rope a dope. Bumba-dida...

Anyway, about removing the gelcost from the bilge and rear of the boat where the new structural glass will go for the stringers. Has anyone tried Soda Blasting? I have three boats to do, so the investment seems workable and since its biodegradable, no licensing required. Thoughts? Experiences?
ATXMatt - 1985 Ski Nautique Rebuild in Motion
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 4:10pm
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 4:55pm
I had some pieces soda blasted, I doubt you would have much luck using it on gel coat. Took a bag and a half to do my valve covers, pylon bracket and swim platform hardware.   That was using a big trailer mounted compressor, not the shop air in the garage.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2013 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Like I said previously, there are several layups that I have seen work. The one I like most is cloth tape (2/2/4/4/8/8 on the mains and 2/4/8 on the secondaries) followed by 12" wide biax up the side. Mains are topped with 12" biax as well.

Okay ~~ I laid biax up yesterday...... What is the secret to a successful biax layup?

I could NEVER get it to stick to the stringer (on the sides & top at the same time). The result is that over 50% of the material is not bonded to the Fir stringer like it should be..

I've got to take it all off ~ and start over.

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
Stringer replacement job completed July 3 2014.
Exterior painted June 2015.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2013 at 3:01pm

there are several layups that I have seen work. The one I like most is cloth tape (2/2/4/4/8/8 on the mains and 2/4/8 on the secondaries) followed by 12" wide biax up the side. Mains are topped with 12" biax as well.

Is there a ninja biax layup secret? My results are terrible so far. If you get the sides to stick, the top separates..... If you get the top to stick, the sides separate.

Really getting behind now.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2013 at 3:34pm
This Thread should help you....Laying Biax
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 1:45pm
Here are some great fiberglass videos.

Basics of Fiberglass, with detailed Material Breakdown and Explanation

The entire "TAP Plastics Fiberglass How To" series is really great place to get a deep understanding of everything from fiberglass to carbon fiber.
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 2:13pm
More Pics of Progress of the project

Some stuff I got via Amazon. It takes 30-45 minutes to get anywhere from where I live in ATX, so I let FedEx/UPS do my driving ;)

Just for fun and cause its easy, here are my other projects in order.

1985 Century Coronado with a 340hp Chevy 454 - 667hrs. These are Beautiful classics. Needs all new wood inside, stringer and floor job. Interior will get a refresh too.

This is a 1967 Chris Craft Sea Vee 21. Tell me this thing isn't going to be a cowabunga surfer, that's the Texas Spelling. It has a 220hp chevy 327 small block in it. New wood and transom and interior, probably engine rebuild. Only 500 of these were made, so it seems worth saving. First year for Fiberglass Hulls from Chris Craft.

Complete with Floor Shifter

Yes, when you pull up to my house, you do want to start whistling the theme from Sanford and Son, I do ;)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 2:37pm

Here are some great fiberglass videos.

Basics of Fiberglass, with detailed Material Breakdown and Explanation

The entire "TAP Plastics Fiberglass How To" series is really great place to get a deep understanding of everything from fiberglass to carbon fiber.

Unless I missed it in the video, I feel it's pretty pathetic they didn't go into resins especially epoxy. They only mentioned polyester and in my opinion is dated. CC as well as most boat hull manufacturers haven't used it in years. It's hygroscopic which is something you do not want around water! I would NOT recommend Tap plastic!

Matt, are you using epoxy?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 3:53pm
Yea, I should clarify, I used the TAP Plastic Vides to understand Cloth. While that was a bit of a dry video, it did teach me the ins and outs of fiberglass cloth, Mat, Weave, Directional, Combo. Can't speak to the rest of it.

8122pbrainard, I don't supposed you'd want to use the power of the hyperlink to point to a good source of product you'd recommend and maybe why?

ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 3:59pm
Does anyone know if this Ebay Store has good prices? http://stores.ebay.com/Polymer-Products
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 6:22pm
Matt,
There are many members here (and threads) who have used US composites For a great and reasonable cost supplier of resins and cloths of all types. Use the search about stringer jobs and you will even find material quantity lists.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 7:29pm
Us Composites, and Fiberglast have almost anything you might need. I use Aeromarine epoxy resins, good prices and I'm accustom to working with it now that I've gone trough about 9 gal over the years.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 8:37pm

This is a 1967 Chris Craft Sea Vee 21. First year for Fiberglass Hulls from Chris Craft.

Not true at all!!! Chris started using glass in 58 when they built the Silver Arrow. Sorry, but get the facts before posting. Are you an ACBS member? If not, it sure would be worth while joining. Plenty of knowledgeable people there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 8:42pm
That's why God made people like you, to get the facts for me ;P
ATXMatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATXMatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 8:45pm
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 8:17pm
Update:

Port side secondary stringer looks good.

The biax over the tops of the stringers is officially a non starter for me. That material I think is good for seams, and general reinforcement, but was not designed to be contouring around a stringer..... at least not someone with my skill set.

I've changed my layup plans and am just doing 2/2/4/4/8/8/biax ~ and mat over the tops of the stringers on the mains.

the Starboard will be: 2/4/8/biax/mat.

Once this is done, I'm going to add some mat (or maybe that biax) to the starboard sidewall to beef that area up. It is amazingly thin!

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 8:55pm
I think you'll find that mat is about 90% as difficult as the biax when it comes to curves. Try letting it tack up a little before molding it over the stringer.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 4:35pm
Well, I'm back at it ~~~~ I had a dream that the automotive repair shop that is 'holding' my motor for me, sold it on eBay.... Nothing like fear to motivate one to aspire.

An update before I checked out of the repair project, I had both Starboard side stringers in and locked down. I was having trouble with the biax overlap, and failed twice... so I ordered mat.... It's been sitting in the shop since it arrived ~ unopened.

The Port side main stringer is in. It is not locked down, but it is sealed to the floor w/ epoxy & milled fiber.

The secondary stringer needs a one or two more treatments of Jamestown CPES, but will go tomorrow.

Looking back, I wish I had paid the man to do the repair.

In my arrogance, and desire to "save a dollar," I cost the family the whole boating season ~ and since we did not do a vacation, the lake was the only respite. It would have been worth the money to have the memories.

I think I'm going to get the stringers in, and take all my materials up to the local boat yard, and pay them to get it done ~ and done right.

Fair warning to anyone else out there considering the task.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

I think I'm going to get the stringers in, and take all my materials up to the local boat yard, and pay them to get it done ~ and done right.

Dont concede yet! Youre heading into winter- you can get this done before next summer. Stick with it.

While Im certain the local boat yard would be happy to take your money and give you back a working boat, I would be very skeptical of them "doing it right". I have not yet seen anyone pay for a stringer repair job that was done to the standards set by the worst stringer repair documented on this website. I have no doubt youre more capable of finishing the boat properly than someone who is paid to do it.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 5:48pm

Dont concede yet! Youre heading into winter- you can get this done before next summer. Stick with it.

While Im certain the local boat yard would be happy to take your money and give you back a working boat, I would be very skeptical of them "doing it right". I have not yet seen anyone pay for a stringer repair job that was done to the standards set by the worst stringer repair documented on this website. I have no doubt youre more capable of finishing the boat properly than someone who is paid to do it.

TRbenj ~~~ why are you always motivating me? lol

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2013 at 5:54pm
I agree you've done most of the hard work already..
And it could be worse ive owned mine through 2 seasons and am still yet to get it wet!!!!!!
'82 Ski Tique
captbob626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 8:01pm
Great Post, Just began cutting the floor today on my 83 ski nautique, Was hoping the stringers were OK but were pretty wet under the observer seat. Guess I'll have to replace stringers. How far forward does the main stringers go? I cut up to about 1" behind the air box and haven't removed any foam yet. cannot see the forward end with all the foam.
Bob Meimbresse
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by captbob626 captbob626 wrote:

Great Post, Just began cutting the floor today on my 83 ski nautique, Was hoping the stringers were OK but were pretty wet under the observer seat. Guess I'll have to replace stringers. How far forward does the main stringers go? I cut up to about 1" behind the air box and haven't removed any foam yet. cannot see the forward end with all the foam.

Best thing you can do is to start your own thread, and post pictures as you go. Lots of very capable hands here to guide you (me not one of them).

lol

Good luck.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 7:19pm
Okay ~ well, I'm out of 2" and 4 inch cloth tape.

I have an abundance of 8" inch tape, and only the inside Secondary stringer to tape/ set....

So while the tape is on order, I was planning to put mat over the tops of the three taped in stringers. If you'll recall, I tried bi-ax, and failed once already. This is the part of the job I'm most worried about because of the cost of the epoxy ~ assuming a second failure.

I was also thinking of doing the bulkheads....Suggestions?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 7:28pm
I dont recall what the failure was, but if you are worried about layup nothing beats vacumm bagging for a pristine layup with minimal epoxy.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I dont recall what the failure was, but if you are worried about layup nothing beats vacumm bagging for a pristine layup with minimal epoxy.

The failure was that the biax didn't bond to the wood on the tops of the stringers ~ in many places ~ so I had to sand it off.

What is "Vacum bagging?" I've never heard of it, but I love the sound of "pristine layup and minimal epoxy!"
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 7:49pm

I think you'll find that mat is about 90% as difficult as the biax when it comes to curves. Try letting it tack up a little before molding it over the stringer.

I'm assuming you missed this note from before. The mat will not be appreciably easier to mold over the tops than biax. Both are thick, and thick stuff doesn't do sharp corners well- let alone 2 90's over an inch or 2 span.

Put it in place, wet it out, then form over the top. It will come off, as you've noticed, but the next part is key- wait a few minutes (allowing it to tack up slightly) and try again. Repeat as necessary.

Btw, if the secondary stringers will be capped by the floor and won't be exposed to the bilge (as is common), no need to wrap the tops of those. Most people don't.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2014 at 9:17pm
It helps if you pre fold or crease the mat and USE a fiberglassing roller.
If you're not using a roller, you're not getting all the air out. Once you roll the air out, it will stay in place. The roller also aids in pushing out excess resin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic