NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Repair 1985 2001 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 78910>
Author
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 11:34pm
That does make sense. But the dye for epoxy was like 5 bucks a pint. I think it took about 3 quarts or less to do bilge. I know for a one time application buying the gun for gel is not cheap. And a high volume air compressor is not cheap either can't believe I am about to say this but You might actually make out better paying someone
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 11:35pm
The pint mixed with the epoxy not 3 quarts of dye.
Lakedog55
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 11:56pm
2 part epoxy paint color matched to Silver Cloud. I used about 1 gal for 2 coats, but my area is at least twice the size of a DD and I went all the way to the fuel tank.

iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

We did a tinted epoxy bilge in the BFN. Epoxy doesn't start opaque like gel, it took 3 coats to cover. The 3rd ran, made a mess, ended up looking terrible. No idea what happened. Good enough for the bilge, but gel would have been a lot less work, looked nicer and would have been UV resistant (epoxy is not).

I brushed gel on several other pieces, piece of cake. Not sure why you'd say that gel is more work. Petes recommendation on the rollers is probably a good one!

Last question on the floor assuming a gelcoat floor ~ what am I going to use for a traction mechanism???   

I was planning on putting something like "Interdeck Non Skid" on top of the gelcoat in the areas that needed it but I wondered if that was an extra step (or 3 when you count primer, etc.). Thoughts? Trying to get my order (hopefully my final order) in today.
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
Stringer replacement job completed July 3 2014.
Exterior painted June 2015.
The Trailer is next.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 5:02pm
Ask your supply house about gel coat non skid... pretty sure there are a few options to get a textured surface. Havent used any of them, personally.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 5:14pm
Gel only starts opaque if you order it tinted you can get it clear as well. It is more work. First you got put down a bonding agent. Then you got to mix the stuff perfectly.Then you got to hope it lays down other wise you will be sanding again. Every bump you have in it will be magnified. Not saying that it wont be way cool. Everybody uses there boat differently, but I would be worried to death about a wake board or anchor getting dropped on it. Not to mention the center board in the aft at least in mine has some flex, that's with two layers of biax. For me carpet and spend the money on motor that's where the real fun is anyway.
Lakedog55
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2014 at 3:46pm
okay ~~~ getting closer every day.

while I'm waiting on the shipment from Jamestown Dist., I figured I'd go ahead and begin preparing the plywood pieces of the floor.

My floor will be fiberglass laminated plywood (no foam).

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get a pattern so I don't burn through 50 sheets of plywood trying to get it right?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2014 at 3:55pm
large pieces of cardboard (refrigerator box)? to use as a template and then make your cuts from the cardboard.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2014 at 4:25pm
I just took some measurements to get it close (larger) then used a compass to scribe along the hull. Once I got that fit I just traced from underneath along the stringers. Then put it in place and used a sander and grinder to get the fit exact.
For the front piece I used 1x8's that I joined with biscuits. To do this I measured up each stringer each board width measured the long and short points and cut.
If your using ply up front you can mark parallel lines with a framing square up the stringers every 6" or so and take measurements then transfer to the ply.
Or as stated above make cardboard patterns.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2014 at 11:11pm
Up front the the square and measurement works good. That front piece can be tricky to get in and heavy when trying to set it buy your self. This is a good time take sure you leave enough overhang in the bilge for your dog house to sit on. Also make sure where your floor joint falls you have a joist or should say rib under it. I double up a rib so both pieces had plenty to rest on.
Lakedog55
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 12:20am
Question to Gundriver: Do you have a picture showing your solution for the lift out center piece that allows access to the transmission?

Or, could you explain how you did it. It has occurred to me that I will have a seam there since I am not going back with carpet.....and I don't want a seam if possible. No idea how to get around it though.

As far as updates: Significant progress was made today. I woke up at 7am (having already had a dream in which I was working on the boat and making good progress), and went to right to work.

Aside from a few errands, and waiting for epoxy to tack up, etc. I was at it for 14 hours!

I used cardboard for the mock up flooring, and have the starboard and port side plywood flooring cut and needing just some tiny trimming ~ all the way up to the bowside of the engine cradle. CPES'd them and they will be on standby.....

Tomorrow, I'm supposed to go to my Dad's after church, and do some turkey hunting.... I may take a rain check.

My goal is to be done by Easter (April 21st).

For some reason my new cell phone camera will not take a "small" sized picture (that can meets the upload restrictions of the forum), otherwise I'd be demonstrating my "experteeeezzzzzzeee" and progress.

Many many thanks for all your help. Especially the guy that convinced me not to quit (not that long ago).

I'm out!
iPlan
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 3:07am
I put mine back the way it was originally to include the rubber trim strips.
You need to be able to access the area under that removable section for maintenance purposes. Just make sure that when you cut the ply to allow for the carpet thickness x 2 (floor and removable piece) I had such a nice fit and seam I thought about leaving off the rubber strips but then mini Pete popped up on my shoulder and made me do it as original.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 1:38pm
Gun-driver, I thought you went back with a gelcoat/ painted floor. Must have been mistaken.    

It did occur to me last night, that I could still use the rubber trim strips in the absence of carpet, and I think that is going to be my plan.

Four questions:

1. Where would I get new rubber trim strips? Mine are looking a bit ragged.

2. I am trying to replace steering wheel ~~~~ but can not for the life of me figure out how to get it off (though I haven't tried in awhile). Is there a secret ninja trick I need to be aware of?

3. I'm thinking I'm going to replace the gauges.... Recommendations for brand/ proper fit, etc?

4. I also need to replace this: Any thoughts? It's in line between the pitot tube and the dash (originally mounted behind the gas tank.

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 1:51pm
I would fix the tube with some JB Weld if you can't get one cheap, not like anybody will see it.

The steering wheel may need a puller, there is a nut behind the center cap and that should be it. Mine comes out real easy after that's gone but I have a splined connection and I'm not real sure when they started using those.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 1:52pm
The carpet turn is used to hide the edge of the carpet. Christine's sells it. I don't know how or why you'd use it if you're not using carpet though? If you're doing a gel floor, just get that panel sized appropriately and then gel that too. Ditching that removable panel would be a big mistake, IMHO. You need that access for the packing, exhaust hose, etc.

Post a picture of your steering wheel and we can help. 85 was an oddball year, cc used a few different styles.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 2:05pm
Jonathan,
That split brass tube is a pulsation damper for the speedo. It's a common problem when then boat hasn't been properly winterized. If the pitot tube isn't plugged, the system will drain by itself. I would not try to use JB weld as suggested. I don't feel the epoxy is a good product and epoxy certainly is not the best for a substantial repair. You can sweat solder a patch on it or make a new one out of sweat solder copper pipe and fittings. I believe several here have done it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 9:07pm
Hey, I am getting ready to go in with the plywood floor... and quick question ~~~~ Is that gelcoat on the walls, and does it need to come off so that the fiberglass will stick to it?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 9:18pm
It's carpet glue and yes it needs to come off.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 9:32am
Alright... well, I've cut templates for the stern starboard and port sides, and they're glassed down. I'm going to glass them to the wall and secondary stringers, and skip the screws.....

Seems like driving screws into the decking above the secondary stringers is not worth the inherent water leaks..... so the plan is to biax the top of the floor, and attach to the hull and secondary stringers with mat.

Also the 1x6s that went across the front of the doghouse ~ (where the rot was in my boat). I'm fitting that part out right now, and was wondering the best way to lock those down. I was going to use mat to tie it to the hull on the sides, and mat underneath the contact points on the primary & secondary stringers (so no screws here either).

Does this sound like a plan, or would anyone suggest any mods?

?

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

Seems like driving screws into the decking above the secondary stringers is not worth the inherent water leaks.   
Does this sound like a plan

Yes, screwing the sole to the stringers is not needed nor recommended. It's been mentioned in several threads. Besides a potential water ingress point, the screws also set up a high stress area. Get your stringers done, glass the sole and bed it to the stringer tops with thickened epoxy. Weigh the sole down and let it cure. Most here use 30 packs of their favorite brand of brew for weights. Then of course when the epoxy cures, you can crack open one of the "weights"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:55am
Test fitting the engine Wednesday morning. Pray for me! Specifically that "everything" is where it is supposed to be (or at least not too far off) with regard to the engine mount location.

I hope to have the bow => battery boxed area all fiberglassed in, and locked down by Tuesday night. Drilling the 3 holes for the air vent pipes is harder than I thought it would be, and I need to make up my mind about what material I'm going to use (drier vent hose ~ original specs ~ is out of the question). I was thinking PVC pipe, conduit, or some flexible rubber hose. Anyone care to weigh in on their preference for the air vent pipe?

Test fit looks solid to me. I appreciate all the encouragement. I really could not have done this with all your expertise (but most importantly your encouragement to stick with it.

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 11:44am
Well conduit pipe isn't going to work. I was thinking about this all last night, and my suspicions were confirmed this morning in Home Depot.... I think it is too stiff and rigid to get it to line up and conform to the limited space around the battery box.

Does anyone have another air vent piping solution/ recommendation?
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 12:01pm
This is pretty good 3 inch flex. HTS Heavy Duty RV Sewer Hose

pipe
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

This is pretty good 3 inch flex. HTS Heavy Duty RV Sewer Hose

pipe

Awesome! There is an RV dealership near my home ~~~ went there and got everything I needed. Thanks!
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 9:34pm

Well conduit pipe isn't going to work. I was thinking about this all last night, and my suspicions were confirmed this morning in Home Depot.... I think it is too stiff and rigid to get it to line up and conform to the limited space around the battery box.

Does anyone have another air vent piping solution/ recommendation?

Home Depot! That's as bad as shopping as Autozone!   
Bend the PVC. It's done every day most commonly by the electrical trade. I've done some very nice bends with simply a heat gun.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 1:40am
So... A list of accomplishments:
1. Bulkhead fabrication complete

2. Sewer pipe (air box vent hose)connected. One of the lengths of sewer pipe is cut about 6" too short to connect all the way to the outlet in the bulkhead, but I've got extra, and will complete that tomorrow.

3. Center flooring is cut, CPS'd and now has has 2 layers of fiberglass on the bottom side.

4. Checked fit for the ski pole..... Man it was close. Initially it was about 1/8 of an inch off ~ and I was HORRIFIED!!!! lol Then I remembered the tilt in the pole towards the bottom so I straightened it up, and it was really close ~~~~ so I got out a my sledge, and tapped on the top of the pole and it seated all the way in. Then I pulled it back out because I'm painting the pole garnet to match the trim in the boat (applied 3coats of etching primer, and will come back with 4 - 5 coats of garnet, and a couple coats of clear to seal everything.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have a picture of what they "found" behind the gas tank? The only one I have is "before" the gas tank was removed and I wanted to go ahead and get cracking on installing a new blower, but wasn't sure what it was supposed to look like when it was done.

2. There is a hole in the female mount that the ski pole sits in ~~~~ and a hole in the male part of the ski pole. I can not find a bolt that would have gone through there in my "paper sack of bolts" ~~~~ Was it a through bolt, or maybe a pin?

My goal is to be on the water this Sunday ~ after church.... the final push is NOW!

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 9:14am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Well conduit pipe isn't going to work. I was thinking about this all last night, and my suspicions were confirmed this morning in Home Depot.... I think it is too stiff and rigid to get it to line up and conform to the limited

Home Depot! That's as bad as shopping as Autozone!   

Ummm, Home Depot? Home Depot sells the same type, brand, and style of all the conduit I buy at all my suppliers and often, at just as competitive price. It's ok to buy somethings at Home Depot as I'm sure it's ok to buy somethings at Autozone.

Iplan, Try bending the conduit with a paint stripping heat gun. If the conduit is too big, the heat gun just "can't do it" (lol, sounds better with a British accent). Big pipe takes a heat box. Keep in mind plumbing pipe is more bendable without heat.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 9:30am
Don't paint the ski pylon!
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 9:36am
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Don't paint the ski pylon!

Why Not? (Hopefully this is not a bad thing) ~ because I already did it, and it looks gorgeous!

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2014 at 6:07pm
The hold up:
1. The Bulkhead (I'm waiting on two 3" through hull fittings ~ to give air access to the engine compartment without letting water past the bulkhead) before I can install the bulkhead and the portion of the floor between the ski pole and the link underneath the dash. The fittings should be here Thursday afternoon.

Today's Projects:
1. Install Blower Fan & Blower Air Hoses
2. Change out bow light
3. Fiberglass Topside of the Removable Center piece of the floor that sits aft of the engine compartment. I did 2 layers of cloth on the bottom. I think I'm going to do the same on the top. The factory just had a plywood or particle board wrapped in carpet....

The Concerns:
1. I'm not sure I've got enough Epoxy resin to complete the job
2. I'm out of CPES

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 78910>
  Share Topic