NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whaddaya think? Southwind 18

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mercrewser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whaddaya think? Southwind 18
    Posted: January-20-2006 at 11:17am
Look closely at the floor pics. Under the ripped carpet it appears to be fiberglass? Did these come with glass floors? How much would you offer? http://www.navcompany.com/pre-owned_detail.cfm?id=336
1969 Chris Craft Commander SS #39
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 11:23am
Yes it came with the fiberglass floor, IMHO, if everything works on it its a pretty good deal at the asking price.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 11:30am
Thanks. Its either this or a 1977 Mustang 17.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 11:33am
Doesn't look like a bad deal but I bet you could get them to come down some more. It'll cost about grand for a new interior which it does need but that looks like about all it would need beside some elbow grease and cleaner. Check out the motor and make sure the bolts mounting the motor mounts to the stringers are tight and the engine sounds and looks good and give them some cash and buy that puppy.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 2:50pm
They accepted an offer I threw at them. 2500. They say there is a soft spot in the floor behind the engine. Should I go for it? 5 hrs away. Or do you think I can do better? I dont want to get into stringer repair, and I said that bad stringers will nix the deal.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 3:55pm
And so the plot thickens... Definitely more of a project boat now, interior and a floor. Still not a bad deal if your handy and willing to attempt such things. However you would have to be that much more sure on everything else. Add any motor work or transmission issues on top of what you already know about and you will run out of time and money before boating season. Of course waiting for a better boat to come along can waste a season pretty quick as well. Tough to be sure your not going to get into the stringers once the floor is up, although if you follow 79's advice and make sure you can snug down the engine mount bolts tight you can be reasonably sure your at least not going to have to replace the stringers completely, and that you can probably leave the engine in. Looks like they have been a correct craft dealer for a long time someone there should be able to give the stringers a good inspection if they want to... good luck .
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 5:23pm
If it needs any more work done. other than what is known.The price would have to come down some. Also, check out the water line. Good luck to ya. I hope it works out.
Scott
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 7:08pm
Merc: $2500??? Whata ya waitin' for?????? Get it and get started on it.

jbear
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2006 at 7:19pm
I'll keep you posted
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2006 at 8:15am
Depending on where the soft spot behind the motor is? if it is in the middle inbetween the stringers then isn't that panel removable anyway? mine is, aren't all models? That one would be a quick and easy fix by replacing the whole panel, your going to have to re-carpet anyway. But check the floor out real good everwhere because if it's soft along the outside edges and around the drivers/observer area then the whole floor needs replaced. If your able to take out drive it and see how it runs pay attention to how it starts, comes out of the hole, idles, whatch the temp (160-190), stop turn it off and restart it after it's been warmed up and see if it starts right back up. Lift the motorbox up and run it for a minute and listen for knocks and pings. That way you have a real good idea on the motor's condition.

$2500 is a good deal depending on where the floors soft   .02
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2006 at 6:39pm
Mercrewser - Have you seen this one yet?

Go to www.boats.com and search for
1972 Correct Craft Southwind 17 ft.
Listing ID 10197711

You may have seen this before, I have. I think its been for sale awhile.
Scott
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2006 at 7:42pm
Yup. Saw that one, but thanks Scott. Little far for me. I'm hopin to find one closer so I can inspect before I buy. I'm waiting to hear back about the SW mentioned above. I'd really like to have a Mustang or Ski Tique though. Something lite I can pull with my car and small enough to fit in the garage. I had a tow vehicle lined up, but the purchase just fell through. So did that Torino in FL. There is a Mustang in NC I'm waiting to hear back on. We'll see. Havent ruled out the SW above though. But I would have to get a truck to pull it.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2006 at 9:25pm
What was the deal with the Torino in Fl? No good? Good luck with the SW. I'll keep an eye out for ya.
Scott
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2006 at 5:52am
I've seen the one listed above in Cumming, GA. I wasn't in the market when I saw it, so I didn't really "check it out". I remember the pylon with the rope spiraled around it - pretty cool idea for refinishing a pylon. The interior has more of that same rope sewn in place of piping on the seams.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2006 at 3:19pm
It would be a pipe dream to pull a Southwind 18 with a Saturn, right? I had a cheap pick-up lined up, but the deal fell through. What do you think? I've been under the weather for the past few days, so I'll blame this line of thought on my "medicine head". I pull 1800 pounds of sailboat around as it is now with no problem, and fully legal. I realize a Mustang or Ski Tique would be better, but this SW is awfully appealing. I really dont want to buy a truck, otherwise I would get something in the 23 foot range, like what I used to have But I gotta stay on budget.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2006 at 5:29pm
Tongue weight can't be that much. That trailer doesn't have breaks, does it? What is the weight of the whole package..2700-2900lbs?
Everyone in my house, has a cough and cold now...can't wait till summer. If you want that boat bad enough. you'll find a way to get it.
Scott
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2006 at 5:49pm
Wouldnt happen to be a saturn vue would it? What kind of saturn (and what transmission) and how far/ how often do you plan to pull. Probably crazy, but I did very with a custom weight distributing hitch on a 300zx for a lot of years with a heavier boat than the southwind.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2006 at 6:08pm
Saturn SL2, 4 banger with auto. I wouldnt expect much. I dont even care about performance. I'm interested in safety and if its legal. I would not even think of doing it without good trailer brakes.
I mean, its only an 18 footer. It really handles the 1800 lb trailer that I have now well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic