NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New '88 Graphics and Polish

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Toothstud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toothstud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New '88 Graphics and Polish
    Posted: March-25-2013 at 1:52pm
Just wanted to share some pictures of the new graphics Zach hooked me up with. Also sanded, compounded, and polished with the 3M Perfect-it system. I did 3x rubber compound, 3x machine polish, and finished up with Collinite 924 wax. The paste wasn't available were I was. There is also a Ultrafine machine polish which is the next level, but did not find it necessary with my color scheme. No sun this weekend, so the polish doesn't show too much, but I'll take some again next time I'm out.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 2:02pm
Oh but it shows...
She looks gooooood.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 3:10pm
looks great....the 3m stuff is pretty amazing...lots of work but works well.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 6:58pm
Looks good, that last step of 3M just gets you more shine it doesn't really brighten things up like the other 2. I did the same thing and then went back with the last step the next year, it so fine it even shines the stripes.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 7:04pm
Might give that 3M a shot on mine instead of wetsanding the whole thing.
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 7:09pm
Maybe this is a stupid question, but the polishing process doesn't damage the decals?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 7:17pm
They were all removed while he polished. He installed a fully new set I sent him.

The 88 and newer decals (besides part of 94) are easier to damage with a buffer because thecolor is printed on the vinyl. The 87 and older graphics are solid colored vinyl so as long as you don't burn it you can buff over them.
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2013 at 7:44pm
ahhh, makes sense. Thanx :)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 3:31am
To the OP:

Screw you and your year-round open water/warm temps.

Yep, that just happened. I went right there.

---------------------------

Ok, so I'm in a jealous rage, but can you really blame me?

The boat looks fantastic. Your hard work really paid off. Congrats!
Toothstud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toothstud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 4:00am
Don't forget no state income tax either
'88 SN 2001
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 11:03am
Hey, it almost looks as clean and polished as Hollywood's boat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 1:36pm
Says the guy who is at home recovering from ankle surgery due to a waterski fall. And just learned to drive a boat. Whatever Skip.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 1:45pm
Hollywood, the only thing you're good at polishing off is a twelve pack and your knob. It's ok to wash your boat ever few years, HW. Wax on wax off.
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2013 at 6:33pm
Tooth, hey I am going to do this same process in a few weeks. What grit sand paper did you start with? Also the 3M process.... Is there a kit or just a process following steps? I have read a lot but not sure which compounds and waxes to get in all. Can you help? Thanks, Bones.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2013 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Bones71 Bones71 wrote:

Tooth, hey I am going to do this same process in a few weeks.

Tony,
There's a great thread on FAQ's. There are links to most anything you may need to know. Take a look and if you don't find the answer, get back to us and we'll see if we can answer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic