NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 won't start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 won't start
    Posted: March-30-2013 at 8:31pm
was hoping to launch today, but not start at the ramp...just cranking. got it back home (only a few miles) and pulled a plug to check for spark...had spark. pulled the plug on the FCC and it was bone dry. key on/ignition on low pressure pump does not pump. i changed the relays since i had spares and no change. looking through a bunch of the GT-40 threads i saw that both pumps should run if you jump the STO (i think) on the EEC test connect to ground...nothing happended. it seems i have no power to the pumps. i'm going back to the GT-40 manual, but wanted to start this in case anyone can help.
so much for march wakeboarding this year
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 8:32pm
also, boat is a '99 SAN with ~700hrs.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 8:34pm
also, I did change the FCC filter last fall and with key on/ignition on I could hear the low pressure pump pumping.
i did get a good bit of water in the bilge over the winter...so maybe a bad connection somewhere...but where...
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 9:26pm
Is the 15A breaker for the pumps popped? Can you verify 12v at the pump lead with a multi tester?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2013 at 10:27pm
breaker not popped (unless you have to push unreasonably hard to reset it). 0V at the pump lead.
the manual references a 20A breaker...but I only have 60, 15, and 12.5...is the 15 for the pumps??
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2013 at 12:32am
Our boat has two leads on the battery. One large cable for the starter and a smaller one for other things. We had exactly the same problem and later came to realize that the smaller lead was not connected to the battery. Once reconnected, the pumps worked and everything ran fine. I have no idea if what I have is stock configuration..? But may be worth checking. Perhaps one of your leads came loose or disconnected all together.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2013 at 2:38pm
well...i don't know what to say...i went out this morning armed with circuit diagram and multi meter determined to track down the problem...turned the key and hit the ignition switch and to my surprise I heard the LP pump kick on...jumped the STO to ground and heard both pumps run
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 12:32am
boat started and ran fine in the driveway tonight...eventually. at first it just cranked and cranked. i heard the pumps running...but, i checked the FCC bowl again anyway...got a couple drips out and that was it. disconnected the feed line from LP pump to FCC, stuck it in a bucket, unplugged the HP pump, and jumped the STO to ground. no fuel coming out of the LP pump. the pump was running and sounded fine, but no fuel. disconnected the feed line from the tank, connected a small hose to the feed side and stuck that in a small can of gas. jumped again to ground and it pumped out my little can pretty quick. hooked the feed line from the tank back up, jumped it and it pumped fuel just fine. hooked everything back up and hooked up the water hose and hit the key...just cranked and cranked again. $%^^%$$$#!!!!!!! i was checking everything out with a flashlight (of course it was dark by then)...and realized i didn't reconnect the HP pump connector...fired right up and idled fine. now i'm relaxing with a tall glass of jameson and wondering why the LP pump lost it's prime...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 3:22pm
Had a similar problem starting an Excal after changing the FCC filter. I ended up pouring small amounts of fuel down the throttle body, after the 3rd or fourth gulp of gas it started and stayed running, never another problem.

Had previously reinstalled the filter into an empty canister, cycled the ignition on/off several times, and fired right up, not sure why that time it was different.

Next time I change one, will definitely put some fresh fuel in the canister before reinstalling.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 4:12pm
Check the antisiphon valve on the tank? Is there gas in the tank?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 4:29pm
tank was 1/2 full...i'm not THAT dumb.
you did read the part where it started and ran fine, right??
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 5:34pm
The manual states that if you run out of gas you need to turn the key on/off several times to purge the air/prime the pump. Emptying the filter would be like running out of fuel.
Also does yours have an additional in-line fuel filter my '95 does yours may not.
You can see it in the pic below on the left side by the stringer.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2013 at 5:37pm
i did the key on/off cycle many times. the LP pump didn't start pulling fuel until i hooked up a short (12") fuel line and stuck that in a small can of gas. then it would pull fuel from the tank.
no inline filter on my boat.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2013 at 10:04am
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

breaker not popped (unless you have to push unreasonably hard to reset it). 0V at the pump lead.
the manual references a 20A breaker...but I only have 60, 15, and 12.5...is the 15 for the pumps??

The GT40 manual in the reference section was for the early GT40's without the FCC. The 20 amp breaker is now replaced with the 15 amp and it is for the fuel pumps.

I would also remove and clean the anti syphon valve.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2013 at 3:17pm
fired up and ran like a top yesterday. boat is on the lift for the summer.
i did order a spare anti siphon valve just in case it starts happening again...
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2013 at 7:05pm
Was it the anti-siphon valve?
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2013 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Was it the anti-siphon valve?

i think it had more to do with draining the FCC for a filer change and not putting fuel in the FCC bowl when I put it back together.

i'm speculating (given other members' reports) that the anti siphon may have contributed...they are cheap so I ordered one as a potential replacement if the condition happens again. could be a waste of money or a quick and easy fix...
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2013 at 11:41pm
well...similar thing happened again tonight. i pulled off the lift and was idling around waiting for a friend...just as i pulled back on the lift, the boat stalled out. i cranked it and it would start briefly and die...then not start at all. i bought a code reader due to my previous problems and did the KOEO test...code 11, no faults. disconnected the line from the LP pump to the FCC and jumped the STO...no fuel coming out. i did the same business where i disconnected the feed line and used a short line in a can of gas...which the LP pump quickly emptied when I jumped the STO to ground. it MAY have discharged a chunk of something like a 1/4" piece of leaf...maybe. i also changed the anti-siphon valve since I had a spare (old one seemed to be fine...ball moved freely). hooked the feed line back up to the tank and it would pull fuel from the tank. hooked everything back up and it started and ran fine for ~15 minutes (i had about 4 trouble free hours prior to this). what could cause this to happen??? i'm glad it's running fine again, but worried it will happen again.
75 animal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 animal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 9:36pm
To prime the FCC just turn the key a half dozen times or so. Leave the key on long enough so the low pressure pump has time to pump. Works for me!
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 8:17am
Originally posted by 75 animal 75 animal wrote:

To prime the FCC just turn the key a half dozen times or so. Leave the key on long enough so the low pressure pump has time to pump. Works for me!

i appreciate the effort...but this really has nothing to do with my problem. and to clarify, the LP pump should only run for a couple of seconds when the key is cycled from off to ignition. leaving the key on (ignition) has no effect for either pump.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 9:04pm
Have you tried replacing the fuel pump relays?
75 animal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 animal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 6:43am
Sorry but my input was to only aid the priming of the FCC. It was said that you would put fresh fuel in next time. I don't need to do rid as I prime the FCC in the way I described. Priming the FCC was the only point I was trying to make. Sorry for the confusion
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 11:21am
Nick food for thought.

Maybe some debris in the tank is getting picked up intermittently? Inspect and clean tank if required. While your in the tank check if you have a screen on bottom of fuel tank pickup line that is partially blocked.

Have you checked fuel tank vent? Try removing the fuel cap next time it happens to help diagnose.

Possibility that the LP fuel pump is on the way out if it only happens after a couple of hours use.

Note the GT40 computer assumes it has correct fuel pressure at injectors. It does not store a code for low fuel pressure. Would be a nice feature if it did.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 2:38pm
i did try removing the fuel cap last time it happened and it did not help.

relays have been replaced.

i bought a new LP pump just in case...i want to try to induce the problem and then change pumps and see if the new pump will pull fuel from the tank.

i'm thinking the pump is going...it "should" be able to pull fuel from the tank even when dry.

debris is a possibility, but I'd like to avoid pulling the tank just because it would be a big hassle...i have been thinking about adding and in line filter from tank to LP pump...
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 10:53am
i think i may have it figured out. last night i was able to re-create the failure by disconnecting the feed line at the tank and then running the pump dry. i hooked the feed line back up to the tank and let the pump run for a good 20-30 seconds...would not pull any fuel from the tank. swapped in the new pump and it pulled fuel from the tank almost immediately. i pulled the cover off the old pump and found a good bit of junk in there. i think this has more to do with restricting/limiting flow than the pump itself...but at least it works now. hopefully i don't have to open this thread up again.

LP pump with the cover off and screen removed...pretty gunked up..

LP pump filter screen...also pretty gunked up...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic