NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If one Flyhigh is good, two is better!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Has the optimum height been realized yet?

Yes
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 12:23pm
I am just a little worried about the safety of it. I have been standing next to a sail boat mast that buckled and it was the closest I have come to death (and believe me I have done a lot of stupid things).

What does the joint look like between the two tubes?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 2:43pm
Slip joints, Stainless steel tube...there are 4 slip joints total.

I was more than just a little worried with that 250lber on there but it looked fine.

I don't think this will make it on to the long list of stupid things I've done.

Maximum height has been set by the rules. 4.0 Meters.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 3:01pm
I have no idea if it's allowed in the barefoot racing. My guess would be be that it would be allowed. Seems like racing has dwindled since Chuck lost his finger.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 3:03pm
The tow plane photo is a perfect illustration:

Do any of you think there is any less weight on his feet?
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 3:04pm
A high pull from a bouncing boat sure sucks. This is also a reason I prefer PE rope over spectra. Andy has made mention if this as well, how Willie still uses it because its got some stretch.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Do any of you think there is any less weight on his feet?

Physics says yes.

Please tell us more about this lost finger.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 3:18pm
I'm not aware of the exact details but during a race last year or year before Chuck lost a finger to the rope somehow.

Please then do the physics and tell me if a 75 foot rope hooked to a 4M high pole is able to reduce the 150lbs of the skier's weight and by how much.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 3:26pm
A general statement skiers have made is that it feels like it adds 2 mph

I'd say it feels like it increases your margin of error (Barefooting is always skiing on the edge of disaster)

I think the place I notice it the most is front one foot wakes feel "safer"

This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 3:26pm
As long as there is tension in the rope the answer is yes. You would need to calculate the drag (probably impossible to do), measure the tension in the rope (much easier) or measure the stretch of the rope (with known properties) under such skiing condition to get a close enough answer. You get me one of these 3 and ill do the math!

The answer is absolutely yes Andy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 3:36pm
my guess would be that the rope is not inclined enough to reduce the skiers weight on the water by even 1 pound.

I've skied it enough to know too.

here's 245 feet of rope drooping while I ski on it.

This is the life
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 4:03pm
Please be wary of the using mid-attachment point - the mast sections could buckle without cable support there.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 4:09pm
Outboards are bouncy compared to inboards. It's surges on the end of the line which is worse with stretchy rope and skiing backwards.

Willie told me that when we put Mike Corral (250lbs)out there it was going to stand my Sanger DX inboard up and then bounce up to speed. I just laughed and said "It ain't no Malibu Willie" as Willie accelerated even with a 12ft pole the Sanger jumped immediately on plane and took off no bounce.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Please be wary of the using mid-attachment point - the mast sections could buckle without cable support there.

I may add a cable or two along the length, but we watched that and tested that mid towpoint too and it did not move.

I think we will get out tomorrow and I will take pictures at least if not video.
This is the life
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 4:21pm
Not to throw a wrench in here but if a 12' fly high is so great why then do they not sell one? Why not add 3 or 4 together if higher is better. If you got the rope high enough I bet your feet wouldn't even touch the water. Thus another new trick!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 4:30pm
Because they want to sell you a tower and an extension for 3000.

2 together is rickety enough, 3 or 4 it would be leaning over.
This is the life
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Not to throw a wrench in here but if a 12' fly high is so great why then do they not sell one? Why not add 3 or 4 together if higher is better. If you got the rope high enough I bet your feet wouldn't even touch the water. Thus another new trick!

Its a small amendment to enhance the sport. Kind of like surfers who go out and buy a $130,000 boat and then add a $3000 NSS to enhance a 10 mph, stand there on a board like a lump, sport. Well, no, maybe its not like that at all.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 5:07pm
I went ahead and assumed line tension to be equal to the skier's weight. This calculates to a 17.4% lightening effect skiing a 75' line 4m off the water (which is ~10 degrees).

weight loss = line tension x (pull height/rope length)
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 5:29pm
So what your saying is to make things equal, when I foot next to HW his line should be tied to the underside of the platform and mine should be on the super fly me higher!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 6:35pm
I think the math is fuzzy, get out there and barefoot on the high pole and then tell me how much "lighter" you are on the water.

I don't feel lighter.

There is some low pole footing in here, some SN wake crossing(treacherous) and alot of footing.

I owe tons of thanks to Roy for putting all the videos up on the tube.

This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 7:00pm
I feel lighter. I notice that I can foot farther, or the same distance with less fatigue, when using a higher tow point. Thats just physics. Hopefully Joe will draw a free body diagram for us... Im a little rusty.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 7:14pm
You are certainly entitled to your feel, but the free body diagram doesn't lie. I already threw the FBD I drew with the trigonometry in the recycling bin. An experienced footer going as fast as you do just might not feel it.

I ski from a variety of heights and line lengths. Come ski 90' from the waterline with me... You might feel a difference. When I need to get my DXII SFH fix I ski with 2 from this picture.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 8:44pm
Now Those girls are more than 17.4% lighter LOL
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 8:47pm
Look at Billy Nichols endurance record, low pole, 2 hours and 45 minutes...
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 8:59pm
I ski with one of them in the picture too(not the same two as Hollywood)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 11:57pm
I've been a slacker with my camera lately but the Double Stack has worked just fine, easy to set up and take down, looks decent, satisfies my friends who ski on tower extensions.

As I understand it one of the towerless boats at Nationals this year will be outfitted with a double stack.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 12:00am
It will be this one from the beginning of the thread. Probably set up exactly like it is here.   

[/QUOTE]
This is the life
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 2:00am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

Now Those girls are more than 17.4% lighter LOL

Speaking of mathematics depending on which 2 you choose I'd wonder if their avg. age was over 17.4 lol.
'94SN Restoration underway...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 12:51pm
That's what I love about these high school girls man.
Toothstud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toothstud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 1:21am
if the position of the rope does not affect how "light" you feel on the water, I'd like to try an underwater attachment.

In all seriousness, theres different forces involved in the above scenario. The tension of the rope provides a combination of 2 forces, horizontal and vertical. A low pull provides mostly horizontal force, and as you raise the height of attachment, vertical forces are increased. Whether that increase in vertical force is felt by the skier is subjective and depends on a lot more factors that I'm sure most non physicists/engineers are aware of.

'88 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic