NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator upgrade advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator upgrade advice
    Posted: January-28-2006 at 7:21pm
Have 1988 looking to upgrade the alternator searched forums found nothing any advice thank you.

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 8:23pm
   What do you mean by upgrading? Do you need more current?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2006 at 8:26pm
I got mine from skidim alt, conversion kit and new wiring harness pretty easy swap.
Some have gone the route of a single wire alt but you have to do some wiring routing as well I believe.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 12:11am
Just guessing, but I bet Tony's looking for a bigger alternator to power the stereo's etc. If you don't find the answere here, you may check wakeworld.com, or planetnautique.com. There have been many posts there by guys putting massive stereos in the boats as to what alternators, etc. BKH
Livin' the Dream

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 4:38am
If your alternator is a Motorola the GM SI 10 alternator (marine version of course) is a direct replacement. These alternators are very common and available up to 100 Amps. Also available in "one wire" hookup. I see them on e-bay all the time. Replaced mine with one last summer and it works great. If you want more than 100 Amps you should go with the GM SI 12. It has much better cooling capacity. One thing you'll want to remember,...if you are pulling heavy amps from these alternators (big honkin' stereo amplifiers) you'll want to increase the size of the B+ wire coming from the alternator to the battery cable. If it's currently a 12 AWG wire go with a 10. If it's 10 go with and 8. And don't forget to use a circuit breaker.

To have a ball park idea of how much amperage you'll need from your alternator use the simple formula I = P/E. That means
I (current in amps) = P (power in watts) divided by E (volts). So if your stereo amp is 500 watts continuous you'll want to increase your alternator's output capacity by approx. 36 amps. 500/14 = 35.7.

Notice I said increase it by this much. Because you're already using your alternators capacity to charge the battery, power the ignition, lights, blower, bilge pump and whatever else. In the case above I'd use at least an 80 amp alternator. 100 is better. Also, don't be afraid to go bigger. The alternator will only put out (in amps) what is demanded from your electrical system. So a 100 amp alternator will not put out 100 amps all of the time. So the only fear of burning something in your wiring system should be if you have something short circuited or drawing excessive current. The only thing your limited by here is the size of your wallet! Hope this helps.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 7:31am
don't know that I would size the alt based upon the size of the amp. Seems odd that a 550 watt amp could draw 36 amps when it has a 20-25 amp fuse on it, wouldn't the fuse blow, yes it would. Most problems that people have with the electrical system when they add amps and stereo equipement is the way the wire it up. If you run power and ground leads directly to the battery then you really don't have an issue and if you do then add capacitor for when the load is needed. I'm not sure that a 10 SI or 12 SI alternator would be a direct replacement for a '88 ford engine. You could have issues with the mounting holes, bracket and pulleys. If memory serves me right the majority of them went out the door with multi-vee pulleys which don't work very well with single groove pulley's.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 11:12am
What about powering my live well and trolling motor
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 12:07pm
I love this site everybody's got great insight and yes I rewired the entire boat (so I don't have issues later). The last project replace alternator (increase demand from stereo amps) clarion ax480 pushing 4 polk MMC650 and a 10" powered sub. Just wanted to make sure if I should go with the one wire off the alternator Or do what 79 Nautique did with his alternator.

I have not tried staying with the factory 35amp but I think it might become an issue. I beleive in preventing problems not repairing them in the middle of the lake.

Thanks to everyone for advice
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 1:12pm
What 79 said.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 7:37pm
   Watch out for wattage on steroe amps. There are several means of measurement (RMS, Peak, Peak to peak) and most will give you the absolute watts output at a particular frequency. I worked on those amps in school and its funny to see 100 watt amp with 7 watt output amplifiers. Some of the real $$$ amps are in RMS and are accurate and will draw tons of current. Like 79N said, It may have a 25 A fuse for a 400 watt amp, which would mean the amp is not really 400 watts!! Just for your info, in loudness, a typical police car siren is 100 watts.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 7:49pm
I better learn how to spell stereo!!!!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 8:07pm
Jeff; There sure is lots of interesting stuff on here, just not sure how much of it I understand. I just thought all I hadta do for more volume is crank up the knob on the left.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2006 at 8:11pm
    Jbear, you keep this site rollin!!!!                            Jeff...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 6:26am
Tony I would go with the 50 amp model from skidim with the internal regulator. You could use a 80 or 100 amp 10 or 12SI alt if you want. The one from skidim is going to be the easist(sp) to wire that is provided that when you re-wired everthing you basicly kept the stock configuration. The main thing is getting rid of the external regulator.
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 8:12am
79 look at my profile email please I want to forward a drawing.

I rewired the boat like a newer style boat meaning have postive from battery to a fuse block setup 12 circuits so I'm no longer using the old wiring system I know if I did will have problems down the road.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 9:18am
   I have the same amplifier that Tony is talking about above (clarion apx480m), it puts out 4x80 watts rms at 14.4 volts, a fair amount of power. The unit has (2) 25 amp fuses, and draws according to the manufacturer 46 amps at peak power. Between the head unit, the powered subwoofer and that amplifier your going to be 65 amps easy on the stereo alone, forget about it when you add tower speakers and another amplifier down the road (alright that might not apply to you but it is how I am thinking) you should go significantly bigger than a 50 amp alternator IMHO.
      I also doubt the polk mmc650's will handle the amplifier your using, they are only rated for 60 watts rms continuous. They are quality speakers and I am sure if you don't crank on them they will last a while but they wont take continued abuse at that power. Maybe return them and buy some JBL ms920's from Overtons... they are 6x9's so they might not fit, but they are 100w rms and overtons currently has them on sale very cheap. I like the idea of changing the wiring to a fuse box like setup, I think I will borrow that on my project, I will probably power the amplifier seperately though and rely on the two built in fuses. I haven't sourced my alternator yet, so if you find something good let me know..
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 9:21am
I will be using at least 100amp alternator also Joe if you decide to rewire shoot me an email I will send a drawing that might help we you get ready to change your set-up
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 10:19am
Joe does the amp have two power feeds? I would doubt that it does and most likely all that the amp will draw at most is 23 amps. theres no way that it can draw more. I have a sony explode 300w continous 800w peak amp which has two 25 amp fuses as well and I have a ampmeter as well and have never seen it draw more than 20 amps with the engine running or off. And you won't find anyone that drives a stereo harder than I do. I have mine adjusted so that I can run it a max volume without any noticable distrotion and It does stay at this level for hours on end and I have never had a problem. Personally I think the 100 amp is over kill and a 50-80 amp model would work fine, but to each there own. Tony I'll have to look at your listing and get back with you. It sounds like you have done this under the dash and it would have nothing to do with the engine wiring harness but I'll take a look and get back to you.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 12:12pm
You can't compare amps by their rating without reading the fine print. There's no regulations on how companies rate their product. Most are rated at the peak, the most it can put out,(short bursts)and some are rated at RMS which is the most continous power with both channels driven. Then you have to look at the frequency at which it is rated. Most rate their amps driving only one frequency, usually a easy to drive midrange tone. The better amps are rated driving a signal 20 to 20k hertz, which is the human hearing range and alot harder signal to drive. Then you have to look at the total harmonic distortion, which should be at .01% range. Anything higher and they are overrating the amp. Most people don't notice distortion at 1%. And remember to raise the volume 1 decibel, you have to double the wattage. Of all the things the government regulates, it's a shame they haven't set standards for amps.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 12:34pm
Where are not talking about output voltage or watts, we are talking about consumption by the amp or what current the amp will draw under loaded conditions. So how the amp is rated for output is not relavent.

Bottom line if you are only adding one amp the stock 51A alternator is going to work fine, you could even add another smaller amp and not have a problem, now if you are going to use three or more then that's another story. You should be more worried about what size battery you have in the boat than the alternaotr's output because a group 24 battery isn't going to get the job done for very long and you'll be sitting with the boat idling to keep the battery charged enough to crank it over.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 1:02pm
It only has one power input, I would assume that one fuse powers the the fronts, one the back. The manufacturer lists 46 amps at max power but I haven't installed it yet, I would not doubt that it will draw no more than mid 20's underway, still pretty significant especially when you add on the powered sub. I am positive any one of us could drive around all day stereo blaring with a 50 amp alternator and never drain our batterys. However I run the stereo a lot when the boat is off, both when sitting at our dock and inbetween wakeboard sets especially when the girls are screwing around with bindings, having a larger alternator should get the battery back up to full charge a lot quicker, lessening the chance of me having to swim back to the camp to retrieve a jetski to tow the mustang home, that happened last year without the amplifier and powered subwoofer, and the half mile swim was not nearly as fun as the wakeboard set was going to be. This year I am coming back with a bigger battery (after i enlarge the box) and a bigger alternator...maybe 80, maybe 100 depending on what I find, might be overkill but that v8 is damn hard to pull start...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 1:04pm
Geez I took to long to write that one, two responses while I was typing...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 1:25pm
using a 100A alternator isn't going to change the rate of charge to the battery by enough to charge it any faster or slower than what it currently is being charged by the 51A unit. I betting that you have a deep cycle battery as your cranking battery and thats a mistake because a deep cycle doesn't have the CCA rating that is needed especially if it is discharged. I don't see that your set up is going to draw more than the set I have in my boat (your amp is rated lower and your sub is smaller) and I can sit at the sand bar all day long jammin and still crank it over at the end of the day and get back to the dock with no problem. Now I do have a fairly serious battery in mine though (group 32 950-1000 CCA) it will crank over any heavy equipement you throw at it. A bulldozer, front loader, grader anything with a Caterpillar name on it and I can jump start it with my boat if needed. and the best thing about the battery is that it was Free, brand new and un-used.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 2:06pm
Tony,
   There is a standard for amplifier output, the CEA 2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Rating Standard. It is voluntary and not perfect (i dont think they should rate at 14.4 volts personally) but it is a good step, I decided only to buy certified amps and decks since the standard came out. Might as well patronize those that try to compete on an equal footing..
79 Nautique,
    Lets not start comparing the size of our subwoofers ;-)... I haven't even bought any yet... Haven't found anything marine grade that is powered and worth the effort yet, am in the hunt now. Would like to stick with some powered ones simaler to the basslink IIs that I have in my truck so I can avoid a second amplifier, they are 250watts rms each. Might eventually just buy the automotive ones and get my friends in the electrical lab here to conformal coat all the boards. My battery is a marine cranking battery.. its just pitiful in size since that is all that would fit after the last owners hack job on the battery box. I have a few 1000cca (1300 mca) marine cranking batterys in the rotation for my outboards, the Decoy will get the same this year. The rectifier on a mid seventies outboard makes a 35 amp alternator look positively awesome, luckly the outboards can be pull started with a little ambition.
    As for charging quicker, I think it depends on how much power you are pulling when you are charging and how fast you are driving. At 2000 rpm where I am wakeboarding I am only going to get about half the rated output of most alternators, that would give me maybe 30 amps while I am running the stereo, perfect pass, depth finder, and the ignition which could be drawing that much or more if I am cranking it I could see this being a net loss or at the least not enough to help me recharge the battery after running the stereo all day.. and of course I still havent ruled out those powered tower speakers somewhere down the road yet..
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 2:29pm
Joe wasn't trying to compare just trying to point out that what your looking at doing is already what I have and from a power consumpt*tion aspect they would be simular.

Your thinking that the faster it spins or the more amps it can kick out will drive how quick the battery is going to be charged is flawed and not correct. The regulator compensates the current thru the field coils (stator) to meet the electrical demand on the output side and this cannot and will not effect the rate of charge for the battery it is only going to take so much just regardless of how much amperage you throu at it. You've already stated what your problem is, has i see it, in that your battery is undersize and the only reason for the is the fool that owned the boat before you otherwise i'm sure you would have a better battery. I'm sure once you get the floor re-done and can get the proper sized battery in it you won't have to swim back and get the jet ski.

I'm not a big fan of powered subs and would rather have a quality set of speakers and amp to drive them at there full potencial with the clearest sound. low distortion. i've got a couple of suggestions for subs but I'll have to get back with you I have to finish a coulpe of things here at work first.
tonydjd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonydjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 4:03pm
Slow down you mean to tell me if I only want to use 1 amp and a small powered sub no reason for me to upgrade alternator. Sweet I do have 2 batteries on board using a contionus duty solenoid to help keep both batteries charged I like this set-up better than the isolator been there done it.

79 rewired under dash installed inline protection 50 amp before going to fuse block.

still have the 50amp circuit on rear of engine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 4:06pm
Joe about the only powered subs that I have seen are the bazooka tubes that look like dive tanks and I think they can be mounted to a tower as well. Again I'm not a big fan of the powered subs, I would rather use a quality multi-channel amp and bridge two channels for the sub and run the other channels through high quality speakers. I don't subscripe to the theory the more speakers the better and I wouldn't go for component speakers either unless you like cutting holes everywhere. The advantage of an adjustable cross-over in a boat is a waste of money for a free air-space system that you cann't adjust out the accustics anyway. Now if it was a big cruiser and you wanted to address the enclosed cabin that's different.

Not sure exactly what your plans are and how you feel about cutting holes into the fiberglass but I didn't care to make any when I installed my system. The PO already made one for me so I had to fill it. But I made a sealed enclosure and mounted it on the floor under the dash just in front of the vent hoses. I used a Blaupunk transparrent series 12" sub-woofer in a 1.25 cubic ft seal box. I wanted it to be removable. Also I use outdoor home speakers Klipsch HS-II, I would have bought Polk Atrium 55's if I was paying list price. Water proof vs. water resistant. The sub can be used as a free-air, ported or sealed and is completely plastic (polycarbonate) so all of the electronics are completely sealed with the exception of the voice coil that is which cann't be otherwise it doesn't move. I also don't subscripe to the theory that the speakers and head unit have to be be marine grade, you can take any head unit and make it marine grade your self which I'm sure your aware of, now if it was on a fishing boat or one that would be exposed to rain uncovered then ya they would last longer. My speakers are only in the boat if I'm using it and when in storage the are back into there box until the next jam session.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 4:16pm
Tonydjd, if you are only going to use that clarion amp then you don't need a bigger alternator, but you do have to worry about the type and size of battery you have. If you are going to add more amps later then ya maybe a bigger alt might help, but when your sitting there with the engine off and the jams kick'n it doesn't matter if you have a 200A or 50A alternator they are going to charge up the battery at about the same rate when you start it up. Now if you have several amps and are crank'n it then you can have an electrical issue and loose power to the ignition and engine if the alt is capable of producing the need amperage.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 4:18pm
man I need to slow down and proof read more.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 4:21pm
Sorry if this is starting to bore people, I can't go out boating or even working on the boat for a couple months so I have nothing better to do...

The way I see it if the max output of the alternator is reached (and it is dependent on alternator rpm, which is determined by pulley size and engine rpm) by a combination of the various loads and the current that will flow into a battery at 14.4 volts (dependent on the internal resistance of the battery at the time) then the voltage will begin to fall below 14.4 and the regulator will not be able to keep it up. Once the voltage begins to fall the battery will charge at a slower rate, eventually with greater loads the voltage will drop below battery voltage and the battery will actually drain even though the alternator is putting out its max current at that alternator rpm.
     I used to be able to see this first hand in my 1985 RX-7 which had a very high current ignition system a lousy little alternator, and would idle around 500rpm. In the winter at night with the lights on and heat blowing I would have to rev the engine to keep it going, and that was with a new alternator and the biggest battery that would fit. The claim from the mazda garage was that the alternator pulley needed to be smaller due to the 7k redline, so it would never charge at such a low idle and that was only a problem if the battery was too cold to provide enough cushion at idle.
     Thanks for looking into the subwoofers, I think the 80w rms each to the 4 jbl 6x9s will be strong and sound good, but I would like to relieve them of the burden of also carrying the low frequency, the amp has a built in crossover and I would like to set it at about 400hz and find some subs that would still get some lows out to off the boat.. I don't think it will be enough for a wakeboarder to hear over the straight pipes, but maybe a wake surfer?
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic