Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage Regulator

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hughes26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughes26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage Regulator
    Posted: April-17-2013 at 7:32pm
I have a 77 Nautique with the PCM 351. I replaced the voltage regulator last year and corrected my charging issues. Worked great the rest of the year.
I took the boat out of storage this year and put it on the water. I am not charging again. I am assuming that the voltage regulator has gone out again. Is this common or is there something that I should look at that may be taking out the voltage reg?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 9:12pm
How did you determine the problem? I'd suggest you take both the alternator and regulator to an auto electric shop and have them test both.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 12:17am
If you find out that you have to replace the alternator, I suggest you get an internally-regulated alt, do a bit of re-wiring, and get rid of the voltage reg completely. BTW, NAPA has an exact replacement for the (expensive) regulator from PCM sources for 1/3 the price. Only thing is, it does'nt have the plug for the engine harness. Splice on the old plug.
"Art"
hughes26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughes26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 6:53pm
I have had the alternator checked and it was good. I was not getting and charge to the battery so I replaced the voltage regulator and it fixed my charging problem. I got it out to use it for the 1st time this year and I was not charging again. Is there something that would cause the regulator to go out?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2013 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by hughes26 hughes26 wrote:

I have had the alternator checked and it was good. I was not getting and charge to the battery so I replaced the voltage regulator and it fixed my charging problem. I got it out to use it for the 1st time this year and I was not charging again.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

How did you determine the problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

How did you determine the problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hughes26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughes26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 2:01am
Can't say that I have fully diagnosed it this time around. The 1st time I was not getting a charge to the battery so I had the alternator checked. When it tested good the only other thing I knew it could be was the regulator. I replaced it and it started charging. So this time I am assuming that it is the same problem.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 9:24am
You might want to take another look at the alternator. The diodes solder joints can get cracks, which can give intermittent problems. It is easily resoldered yourself. Look on the back of the alternator for the 6 big solder joints.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 10:00am
Belt tight? Sometimes you overlook the obvious. Mine wasn't charging, turns out belt was a bit loose, tightened and now charging fine.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 1:25pm
Do you have a good connection at the battery?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 6:20pm
All of the above are good suggestions. Another test you can perform is to apply 12 volts from any convenient source to the "Field" terminal of the alternator. If you immediately see a high charge rate, you can look to the voltage reg as a possible/probable cause of the lack of charging. Also could be wiring, battery, etc. One good place to look for trouble is at the plug where the engine harness plugs into the boat harness. It is near the rear starboard engine mount, just behind the starter. It is an 8-prong plug. It is common to find corrosion on the pins and in the holes that they fit into. This is a case of water + electricity = electrolysis = corrosion.

I have forgotten ....Does a '77 have an ammeter, or a voltmeter? In the case of an ammeter, the charging current has to flow from the alternator all the way to the dashboard and back to the engine, then to the battery. Lots of chances for a bad connection and lots of resistance even in a perfect situation. That is why most boat manufacturere changed over to voltmeters.    
Art
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

I have forgotten ....Does a '77 have an ammeter, or a voltmeter?      
Art

Ammeter if he has the original gauge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 10:27pm
Thanks, Pete! In that case, the charging current has to make its way to the dash and back, lots of opportunities for loose/corroded connections, etc. Also we mustn't forget the main ground where the battery ground cable lands on the block. A popular place for rust/corrosion/looseness.
"Art"
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 11:09pm
In the case of an ammeter, the charging current has to flow from the alternator all the way to the dashboard and back to the engine, then to the battery. Lots of chances for a bad connection and lots of resistance even in a perfect situation.

Not to hijack this thread, but it raises a question. My ammeter does not function. if per above, current passes up thru the ammeter and back to the engine, and I have no charging issues, does this simplify the troubleshooting to the guage itself? (too simple of course..I know, get out the multi-tester, but I found another set of original guages, would be great to just swap it out...)

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 11:53pm
Since you don't have any charging issues, that leaves two possibilities: Either the ammeter itself has failed, or someone has put both the alternator wire and the battery wire on the same terminal of the ammeter, thereby taking it out of the circuit.

The most common fault with an ammeter would be simply a stuck pointer needle. If the meter had "burned out" meaning that the connector between the two wires inside had open-circuited, you wouldn't have any charging and none of your accessories would work.

The easiest troubleshooting would be to swap out the ammeter.

Art
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 6:51am
Jeff,
As Art mentioned, check the wiring on the back of the ammeter.

You're lucky you found a set of original gauges. When I got my Tique, I had some non functioning gauges and ended up replacing them with new. They are a close match to the original but an ammeter wasn't available so I now have a volt meter. I prefer the ammeter since I believe it gives you a true reading on charging/discharging.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 8:47am
I didn't find them all. Got amp/oil/temp/fuel. Got whole set for 25 bucks as I recall. PO had replaced tach,speedo and fuel guage(also new tank & line), so it doesn't all match. Hourmeter does not function, need to check that out too.

Thank you both, will check the back and/or swap.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 9:28am
One thing I realized:
The original poster said he was "not getting charge to the battery."

Just wondering if he was checking charge AT the battery with a voltmeter or if he was going by the ammeter.

Art brought up an interesting possibility with the ammeter potentially being wired out of the circuit. I didn't know if the poster was not getting an "indicated" charge or not getting an "actual" charge.
hughes26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughes26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 10:25am
I was checking the charge at the battery with a voltmeter. I noticed the problem by watching my gauge. Checked the connection at the volt regulator and then the charge at the battery. I will be checking some of the other connections that have been mentioned this weekend when I get back to the lake.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

I didn't find them all. Got amp/oil/temp/fuel. Got whole set for 25 bucks as I recall. PO had replaced tach,speedo and fuel guage(also new tank & line), so it doesn't all match. Hourmeter does not function, need to check that out too.

If you are still looking for a matching gauge, lend me a photo of the style you are looking for, and the type gauge you need. I have a number of the old Teleflex gauges from the '70s; might have what you need.
Art
"Art"
hughes26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughes26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 12:57am
If I change the alternator to a single wire with an internal reg, what alternator should I use?
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 9:26am
The current alternator that PCM is using is a Mando brand. If I were looking for one, the first thing I would do would be to consult with they guys at Discount Inboard Marine. Their website is www.skidim.com
and their phone is 803 345 0996. They are well informed as to what fits what. You might also take your current alternator to a local shop and see what they have that is an internally regulated single-wire alternator. I'm referring to a shop that repairs and rebuilds alternators and starters, not to the typical retail auto parts store.
"Art"
hughes26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughes26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 5:59pm
Discount Inboard Marine was very helpful.

www.skidim.com part numbers:

1206 - Aletrnator
1208 - Wiring Harness
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2013 at 10:21pm
Glad they were able to help you. They have their information straight and are very nice to deal with. Also have decent prices.
Art
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic