Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

woo hoo!!! reverse 351w assembly

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nw78nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: woo hoo!!! reverse 351w assembly
    Posted: April-21-2013 at 6:12am
Hello i have a 78 ski nautique with a reverse rotation 351w.

Block was cracked - removed reverse cam and crank, timing chain, and front timing cover.

I got the crankshaft machined down in reverse rotation.(20/20)
I got the camshaft reversed polished. (was in good shape)

Im using a running 351w that i removed from a 78 cougar. (YES I KNOW IT ROTATES THE OTHER WAY.)

I ordered fel-pro marine reverse rotation seals for a 78 351w-
received them and they are labeled for 260/289/302.

Front timing cover seal.   rev. rotation seal 17795
Rear main seal 2pc. rev. rotation seal 17746

Im about 90% sure 302 and 351w use the same lower gaskets. Can anyone confirm???

I got 20/20 crankshaft bearing kit to install.

I got brass freeze plugs to install.

Im not going to replaced pistons rings, not pulling the heads.
Just swapping the Auto cam and crank to the marine reverse cam and crank, and re using the reverse timing chain set.

Im reusing rev. starter, rev. distributor, marine intake and carb.
reusing oil pump and pickup tube from rev. engine.

I live in Washington and the boat won't get many hours on it.
I understand auto to marine specs are slightly different, but this will be a low hour, low budget build.

Running 78 cougar with 351w - $500
crank reverse grind - $125
cam reverse polish- $25
brass freeze plugs- $10
marine felpro gaskets - $85
bearings, 1pc oilpan rubber gasket, valve cover gasket, assembly lube, $100

ANY SUGGESTIONS???? Im putting the engine together this week. The auto 351w is still a complete longblock. Finally have all the parts, seals and bearings.

Need torque specs for crankshaft mains/ caps, timing sprockets, and front timing cover.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 10:32am
Sounds like a good plan.   I would put in a new oil pump & timing chain, as those are wear items & critical to function.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 11:32am
A 78 should have the wick lines in the crank, and uses a 2-piece rear main seal, yes? Make sure that is the configuration of both engines you're swapping between, otherwise the blocks/cranks aren't compatible. If they're the 2-piece, then the RMS is not rotation specific- only the later one piece styles were, as there were no oil control grooves in the crank. I was not aware that 302 and 351 rear main seals were the same... Outside chance that is possible on the 2-piece version but I know the one piece styles are different.

I agree on replacing the pump and timing set, won't cost $100 extra.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 6:06pm
thanks for the replies!!.    the reverse wick lines on the crank, go with the reverse rear main seal, as the seal wick lines are different than a normal rotation seal.

i understand the correct rotation rms is very important when there is no wick lines present on the crank,    but even with the wick lines,

i think running rev. rms with rev. crankshaft is still very important.

oil pump-   boat pickup tube is different than my auto.   Buy a normal car oil pump, and use the boat pickup and pan? sounds good.

timing chains- ive read alot about rh and lh timing gears, chains, ect.
   Boat had metal sprockets with timing chain. (reverse)
Car engine had plastic sprockets with timing chain. (normal)

Plan was to reuse the reverse timing chain/metal gears, since im reusing the cam and crankshaft.    

But if its a good idea, i might change it out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 8:06pm
fel-pro marine...
ok the front reverse cover seal is the same part number for 302 and 351w. 17795
the reverse rear main seal (2pc)
302- 17746
351w- 17748

new seal comes in later this week.   
bearings- $45
timing chain set- $35
oil pan gasket - $13    (didnt want to spend $42 on one piece rubber)

I priced oil pumps....   the car 351w had great oil pressure, may just reuse it
oil pump - $50 for regular, $90 for high volume.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 9:19pm
Don't waste your $$ on the HV oil pump. If all the bearing clearances are within spec, it's not needed. Typically all they do is rob HP.

When are we going to see some pictures???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 9:28pm
I Like to think of contrarian view points -- Maybe the old OEM oil pump is better than the replacements that come from China??

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 11:32pm

engine from the cougar.

boat motor pulled out last summer

all the krusty old boat parts layed out in the garage.

the boat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 11:43pm
TRBenj - ok i now see there are no differnces in the rms, since its a 2pc with wick lines on the crank.
so i normal car rear main seal will work?

Front timing cover seal -   c9je-6700-a

replacement seal from felpro (same part number for 302 and 351w) does not have the outter lip on it.

maybe i'll just put a normal rotation front cover seal on it too. ???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 6:44am
ordered new bearings for mains and rods.

plastigauged mains - all were even .002 crank spins freely.

plstigauged rod bearings. they were .001   

crank wont turn over if i tighten rod caps.

i left all the caps loose and turned crank over with bar both ways about 10 times.      snugged rod caps, crank wont turn even with a bar.

.001 is tight. but within spec i thought.

Crank is turned down .30 on rod journals. .30 bearings installed.

if i buy new .20 rod bearings wont it be too loose?
i've read .002 - .003 is what im looking for.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 6:49am
all my rod caps are on correctly, numbers matching, bearing grooves matching.

assembly lube was used, besides where plastigauge was tested.

with rod nuts slightly snug, the rotating assembly moves as it should, no binding.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 9:58am
Could the rod ends be out of round? Some guys have them re-machined to get them round again.

Ben Franklin
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 10:29am
Thanks for documenting this is really interesting
I replaced my front cover (crank) seal with a standard rotation one, decided it wasnt a major concern as thats what was in there before..
'82 Ski Tique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 10:39am
Are the piston rods “indexed” correctly?
One side has a radius to fit the radius on the crank journal.
The other side does not so the rods fit close to each other.
If there not installed correctly you may break the crank.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 4:56pm
rechecked all my bearing locations, and directions.     

#1 rod is stamped 13 on rod and cap, all other #'s match the cylinder number   (maybe was replaced at some time?)

#1 rod/cap have the same part number as all other rods/caps.

2 days ago the engine turned over fine with the CAR crank, the rod bearings when removed were in great condition with no visable wear.

if a rod was out of round it should typically show wear on the old bearings.

back to the garage to figure this baby out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 6:23pm
ok i found something.   thanks for the help guys!! keep it coming!

my new bearing are still in the block,    

so i layed out all the 78 car bearings(the engine im going to use) - mains and rods

then i layed out all the bearings from the original motor (reverse motor that cam and crank are out of)

all other mains only have 1 offset slot, and both sets of main bearings are the same. (chamfer edge the same)

...the #3 main that has the alginment bearing...

The Main cap has 2 slots in it,
the car engine bearing has the groove in the middle of the bearing
the old engine bearins has the groove on the offset

SO now i have to pull my machined crank and new bearings back out and see if the Center crank bearing is in the CENTER or OFFSET groove.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2013 at 4:45am
i read online that 69-73 351 have 2.31 rod journals and
74-81 have 2.32 rod journals. (so i bought .030 bearings)

my machined crank measured 2.29     so 2.32- 2.29 = .030 bearings.

everything seemed correct...    besides what i thought was a tight .001 plastigauge clearance, im guessing the plastigauge can only can squish so far.

so i measured the old crank from the car, = 2.31
2.31 - 2.29 = .020

stupid me either got the wrong info on crank journal sizes or didn't bust out my handy cheapo digital caliper early enough.

=======================
so i measured the bearing thickness' to double check my measurments.
stock bearings .057 x2 (upper and lower) = .114 (.00)
boat bearings before i had crank turned .062 x2 = .124 (.10)
the bearings i need .067 x2 = .134 (.20)
.030 bearings i bought .072 x2 = .144

been awhile for me.....    does it sound like im on the right track?

sry for being a posting whore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 3:22pm
The motor is in the boat!!!      have to finish up a couple things, and then pop it off.

by the wiring plug / sileniod   there is two orange wires that are connected to each other.   looks like it used to have an eyeloop that corroded off
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by nw78nautique nw78nautique wrote:

by the wiring plug / sileniod   there is two orange wires that are connected to each other.   looks like it used to have an eyeloop that corroded off

I feel you will need to be more descriptive. Where are the wires going to? A picture would be great. By "silinoid", do you mean the start relay? Some do still call them a solenoid. The "eyeloop", do you mean a ring terminal?

Orange wires have been used to connect to the NSS (neutral safety switch). Is it hooked up? It's the cranking feed from the ignition switch to the starter relay coil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 10:18pm
im guessing the nss is near the rear of the intake/ bell housing area.

looks like the previous owner removed the switch, and just hooked the two wires together.

makes sence now! thanks should work fine w/o the switch as it always has.

------------------
The pleasurecraft exhaust manifolds have the water inlet towards the front of the motor.   
they also have a port on the rear of the manifold (guessing to be on rh or lh side)   The rear port is NOT plugged.

Rear ports are not plugged on either side, looks like they never have been.

Are they supposed to be plugged or left open??

I'll have motre pictures soon, when the weather is nicer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 2:02am
i bought new plugs for the back of the ex manifolds.

almost done, installed risers, fuel line, distributor and some other stuff today.

I forgot to put STUDS on the intake for the throttle bracket! so i'll fix that tomorrow.

I noticed the steering is Froze up today so i'll be looking into that too     

Have to put some oil her, flush out the gas tank, and Might be starting it tomorrow!!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 7:40am
The rear ports on the exhaust manifolds need to be plugged. I'd say they were removed for draining. The ports on both ends make the casting fit ether side, Water enters the forward end, enters the riser out the top and towards the aft end of the riser enters the exhaust cavity.

I recommend getting the NSS wired back in. They are installed for safety. You do not want the engine starting in gear. The NSS is on the port side of the trans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 12:03pm
Your first picture of the old motor shows the NSS hooked up with the two standard white wires.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 1:43pm
Ha, ok thats the nss! well thats wires in,   if you look at the same picture, you can see the two orange wires that are connected together.

I couldnt tell if they are connected, or if a ring terminal corroded off.
   The 8 pin plug has a orange wire coming out couple inches and is connected to the orange wire that goes to the ALT. Looks like something used to be there, but they just hooked them together?!?!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 2:19pm
Maybe this will help

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 2:46pm
i've looked at that, lol still cant figure it out.      maybe these will help..
Both orange wires go to the circuit breaker??

HA and then this 3 wire plug (green black brown) only have the green wire hooked up.

The boat used to run fine.... just tryin to figure out these wires!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nw78nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 9:46pm
i finished up everything today. filled it up with oil. and flushed the gas tank.
Not even close to running.
Engine barely turns over with starter, tried two good batterys, and a load charger.
Soleniod had 12v in, 7v out while cranking, so i replaced the soleniod.

Double checked tdc #1, compression stroke- rotor pointing at 1 on cap. (even tried it 180 out with no difference)

Pulled the plugs, turns over alot better but not enough.

Double checked firing order,   Starter/distributor is from original reverse 351w. (both were replaced 2 mo before motor died)

I guess i'll pull the starter back out and get it tested.
---------------
edit. motor spins over freely, starter is drawing power.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 2:09pm
I just looked at my '85 the orange wire that comes out of the plug goes to one side of the ballast resistor the other end down stream goes to the automatic choke on the carb.
That plug you show I assume is at the front of the motor and goes the the receiving end on the alternator exc post.
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 6:28am
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

Thanks for documenting this is really interesting
I replaced my front cover (crank) seal with a standard rotation one, decided it wasnt a major concern as thats what was in there before..

Any issues with this installation subsequently, or did the standard rotation seal work fine?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic