Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transmission slipping

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
scott colby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission slipping
    Posted: April-21-2013 at 11:31pm
I have a 1979 ski natique. new transmission. It skips under load. overfilled with transmission fluid. Way over filled to the top of the stick. Doesn't skip anymore. Wow, what a difference. Any problem with doing this?
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 11:45am
How long was your boat sitting?when was the last time your trans fluid was drained?I would drain the fluid,refill to proper level and test.If slipping still occurs,you have a front seal leak,and possibly the start of pump failure.Good luck
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Irydslow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irydslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 5:03pm
first, sorry for hijacking your thread, but my problem is related to a slipping transmission, which led to my post...

So, I pulled the tranny, bought the seal kit, have the schematics, but can not for the life of me figure out how to get the front of the pump off. I've tried force, just not 'brute force' yet. Is it just frozen on there? Seems like it should just slide off the shaft after the bolts were removed...anyone?

78 Correct Craft Southwind 20
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by scott colby scott colby wrote:

Way over filled to the top of the stick. Doesn't skip anymore. Any problem with doing this?

I'm not "way" overfilled but do run my velvet drives just over the full mark to avoid skipping. A fresh rebuild shouldn't be skipping as easy as yours seems to. It'll spill out the vent if it gets too full anyway.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 6:07pm
To the second poster, you will likely need to break the pump free by rotating it, but then it'll slide right out. Place a hunk o wood up to the side of one of them there screw bosses and hit the other side of the wood with a hammer. It might resist for a quarter of a rotation or so but then it should turn easy and slide right out for you.

Edit:

If you havent taken off that bell housing yet go ahead and do that now as it will make it easier to handle the transmission and to hit the hunk o wood with a hammer.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Irydslow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irydslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 6:27pm
Okay, so put the 'brute' in the force I'm using. Got it! I whacked it pretty good with a hammer and socket extension, but was worried about possibly cracking the pump. I also noticed a screw which you can see at the 5 o'clock position in the photo. I have not been successful in getting that out. It's flat head and small. I'm worried about stripping it, and being so small, figured its probably holding some pin in the pump, not structural. It doesn't appear in the schematic either, which is frustrating.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 8:58pm
Chris,
Leave the screw in until you open it up. It is an retaining pin.

You said you bought a seal kit but no clutch packs. That's what's warped causing the slippage. Don't be surprised if it still slips after you get it back in.

You are a brave man to undertake the transmission project. I only know of two members who took on a rebuild and one of them failed. Don't feel bad if your's fails too since we know of a couple so called pros who didn't fair well ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 9:12pm
Pete - I think you are confusing the second poster with the leaking transmission with the first poster who had the slipping transmission.

To really get into the transmission you have to have a press and buy or make a few special tools but it's no more rocket science than anything else. I am on my 4th rebuild in 3 weeks (no they arent all of the same transmission). None of them have the screw that is on the pump in that picture. and there isnt really anything there that needs to be pinned. My guess is that there was porosity in the casting found after machining and they drilled and pinned it is a repair, or it is something only on earlier tranmissions.

If you are not getting into the forward clutches or piston that elimnates a lot of the chances to destroy snap rings and the need for a few tools for the press.. however you wont be able to change the seal around the forward clutch piston.

Pay close attention to the manual and take a few pictures.. IIRC the first time I did one I had to take it partially apart and put it back 2 or three times to clear the work bench of leftover parts.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Pete - I think you are confusing the second poster with the leaking transmission with the first poster who had the slipping transmission.   

I could be confused but this is the statement where I thought his trans was slipping:
Originally posted by Irydslow Irydslow wrote:

my problem is related to a slipping transmission, which led to my post...

So, I pulled the tranny, bought the seal kit,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Irydslow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irydslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2013 at 12:26am
Slippage was me, in addition to initial poster. Sorry for the confusion. I figured both of us could benefit from the groups wisdom given our similar tranny issues.

So, my boat sat for 5 years. I got the engine running like a top, but first ride heard grinding coming from the tranny and slipping out of engagement. It would engage when I added fluid, but was leaking like crazy, then would slip as the fluid ran out. I figured it was probably just the front seal. I was just going to replace the front seal and pump seal and see if that would do it. I wasn't planning on a complete rebuild. If you guys were trying to freak me out, consider your mission accomplished...
Irydslow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irydslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 11:03am
Okay, I got the pump off. For those wondering how to get this off too, a block of wood and a hammer and brute force worked to get the pump to spin, then it came off. The front seal fell apart in my hand, I'm thinking that was the culprit. However, I separated the front housing off of the unit in order to replace the seal between these two halves. I figured I might as well do this while I have the unit in pieces. The question I have is, when I took the halves apart, the fluid started leaking out, we lifted the unit on it's back to keep it from leaking, but in doing so, got oil on the pressure plate shown in the photo. I was surprised to find how dry it was in this area of the transmission, so I became concerned that oil is not supposed to be present here. Can you tell me if I should now be concerned that the pressure plate has oil on it? There weren't any scorch marks on the steel ring that the pressure plate presses against, which made me think oil is present here during operation. If it wasn't lubricated, I'd expect to see scoring and scorching. Input would be greatly appreciated...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 11:58am
All that gets bathed in fluid- no worries
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Irydslow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irydslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 12:10pm
Thank you! I had no idea how I'd be able to get that dry without completely replacing the parts. Your input is much appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic