Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reverse Rotation Crank Seals

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reverse Rotation Crank Seals
    Posted: April-14-2004 at 6:43pm
Are there any visual difference between RH and LH rotation rear main and timing gear cover seals?

I picked up all of my parts for the engine rebuild yesterday the machine shop ordered me a Victor Reinz RH rotation 351W Marine gasket kit. The kit has 2 sets of rear main seals and 2 timing cover seals, both have different part numbers and neither say which one is for RH rotation and which is LH rotation.

My next step is to call Victor Reinz and ask them, but I'm having trouble locating a phone number.

Thanks
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2004 at 9:58pm
the manual says they are color coded. whatcha got? yellow and red?
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2004 at 11:45pm
awhite- when I did my overhaul I used a fel-pro rear main seal and ordered from secc it was about $80. The front main seal is the same for either direction. I compared the rear main seal that came in my overhaul kit to the $80 reverse rotation seal and the difference was clear - the direction the flutes were pointing.
hope this helps.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2004 at 2:09am
Your rear main seal had flutes? As far as I can tell mine doesn't. The original I pulled out of the '79 (Ford pn D1JE 6701 AA) doesn't appear to have flutes, and the 2 rear main seals that came with my rebuild kit don't have flutes. Both appear identical. The crankshaft does have flutes however. I haven't been able to locate the part number for the RH rotation seal, but I did get the pn for the standard LH rotation seal, so I know which one not to use, I'm just not positive that the other one is correct.

As far as front seals go, if rotation doesn't matter then why does skidim sell 2 different seals for LH and RH rotation?

Thanks
danman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2004 at 1:33am
awhite - I called secc today to find that direction does matter for both front and rear main's on the seals for lh or rh rotation - I am going to have to replace my front main, because I used a lh seal in it out of my rebuild kit. I also started to notice a little bit of an oil dribble off the seal. I have ran the motor about 4 hours since my overhual....
sorry for the bad advice. I am going to order my seal from skidim tommorow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic