NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission fluid leak at the linkage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Halvey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission fluid leak at the linkage
    Posted: April-23-2013 at 7:35pm
After floating around these forums for a little over 2 years now and reading through many maintenance threads to help a buddy with his boat, I've finally taken the plunge and purchased a Ski Nautique.

It's an '83 SN 2001 with a PCM 351 and Borg Warner 1:1 trans. The transmission and top end of the engine were redone by the previous owner approximately 3 years ago. Buying it, I knew there were a couple projects that I needed to tackle before the season kicked off. Especially since it had been sitting for 2 years.

This weekend I will be doing all the basic maintenance (full fluids flush, filters changed, belts/plugs/impeller/soft hoses replaced, etc.) but also want to look into a transmission fluid leak at the linkage. In this picture, you can see the fluid pooling up towards the back. Running it for 20 minutes left a small pool in the bilge.

Before posting, I scoured through the forums and found this:

Topic: tranny fluid/pressure

Eric's response on that led me to order Item Number: 92908 and the gasket for the NSS cover so hopefully that fixes it.

My questions are:
Is there anything I should know going into this?
Is there anything else that should be replaced/inspected around it?
What other seals should be replaced/checked after a boat has sat for awhile?

Thanks in advance, and hopefully this helps someone else in the future!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 7:48pm
Awesome brown is beautiful.

There is also a seal on the other side for the cover of the shift shaft. Call me if youd like.

It's a pcm only piece. I have tired to use o rings that are close but if the size isn't exactly right it will still leak.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 8:14pm
Ryan nice boat and welcome to the site. I just discovered the same leak, will be tackling it soon. Good luck!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Halvey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 10:21pm
Zach, do you stock the exact part at N3?

Jeff, good luck!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 5:44am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I have tired to use o rings that are close but if the size isn't exactly right it will still leak.

Zach,
This surprises me since there are 933 standard O ring sizes in the AS568A system.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 5:46am
Ryan,
Congratulations on getting the boat and a formal (to posting) welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2013 at 11:18am
Yes sir

I know its weird Pete. I tried 3 or so different brands of similiar sized O rings and the thing leaked every time we put it back together. The only reason I tried locally is because it needed to leave that day which didn't end up happening.
Halvey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 11:47am
Just a final update to this:

Got to pull everything apart a couple weekends ago and got all the work on the list done (while finding some more, of course). After replacing the gasket and o-ring, and tightening it back up, I have not had any more fluid leak issues.

Side note - Thanks for the heads up on the ball detent, Zach! The spring behind it shot it out as soon as the linkage was removed. Found it behind the water intake hose...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic