NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why so many classic CCs in the east

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why so many classic CCs in the east
    Posted: January-30-2006 at 9:17pm
Here's a question I was thinking about: Why are there so many Classic Correct Crafts East of the Missippi? We really don't see many in the California. About the oldest you'll see are Ski Nautiques from the 70s. Very rare to see an older CC.

1 - Good weather in CA. We put a lot of hours on the boats and use them up?

2 - Perhaps CCs distribution was limited in the west during the early years?

3 - Long cold winters in the east - nothing better to do than work on old boats?

4 - Because the east got first pick?

5 - Hey, it's CA. We always have to have new?

Thought it might be an interesting conversation. BKH
Livin' the Dream

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 9:33pm
   bkhallpass, well some of it may be that we are poor here in the east and have all the old iron, where you guys have the nice stuff!!!lol I think CC being relatively small in the 70's made sales greater around here in the east since they were New Hampshire/Florida bound. Good topic to discuss!!!
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 9:35pm
The real question is: why does everyone in California have a hot tub? How many folks does your hot tub hold BKH?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 10:06pm
No hot tub here Jim, though the wife does have one of those Jacuzzi tubs in her bathroom BKH
Livin' the Dream

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 12:58am
Maybe folks in CA wouldn't be seen in a boat older than say five years. Plus, after paying $2K a month for a 2-bedroom apartment, there's not much jingle left to buy a used row boat. Maybe it's beause Regular Unleaded is $3.50/gallon. Maybe it's because Califorians think the internal combustion engine is evil.
Ok, just joking on all that.
I live on a small lake in Central Texas in a town with a population of about 50K. Correct Crafts are by far the most popular. Most of the people that live on the lake have a SN greater than 10 years old on their lift with a large majority from the mid 80s to mid 90s. There are several out of the 70s and at least two out of the 60s. (I think one of those 70s models is the only resident boat that is faster than mine.) Some have one out of the '80s parked next to a 2004 Air Naugtique. Then there's the odd Mobius and older Mastercraft. I see a lot of newer boats on the weekends during the summer.
Now-a-days all I see are glittery bass boats and center consoles (the only time of the year we can fish past noon without getting sea sick from a three foot wake!). Speeking of which, I'm headed to the Gulf to do some real fishing. Tired of catching these scrawny freshwater fish.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 6:04am
It might just be another one of those regional things, not sure of the cause, although I do concur with the comment above that they were marketed more in east. I like old woodies, the only places you see those are central New Hampshire, Adirondacks in NY and I believe (although I've never been there) up around Michigan. I also like vintage V-drives. Scarce as hen's teeth around here. Every ad I see, the boat is in CA. Brian, I think CA tends to attract the newer, higher performance "go-fast" boats as they are referred to in the boating mags. Despite the argument above, I think there are probably a few more bucks available out west, hence, the 25-30' twin engine go-fast boats...which I don't understand at all. Seem worthless to me. Can't ski, can't fish, can't overnight. All you can do is burn about $400 bucks of gas a day. Oh well. I guess that's my 2-cents on the topic... good question.
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 7:46am
There's your answer right there BKH:
You're wife has a jacuzzi tub in HER bathroom.
We're just getting rid of the outhouses!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 7:57am
I'll take 75tique's regional thinking a little further.

Central New Hampshire/Lake Winnepesaukee area was a hugh vacation destination for Boston people.

Upstate New York/Lake George/1000 Islands area was a hugh get away from New York City.

Wisconsin is the get away from Chicago

Those places are where a lot of well off people way back in the 20-30's spent their summers so it's only natural to see a lot of old woodies up there on their lake houses and I would think that when the glass boats came into production they just replaced a lot of wood boats.

Michigan has a ton of woodies because a lot of them where and still are built in Michigan. I was driving by the Grand Craft factory in Holland Michigan a few years ago so I stopped in to check it out. Actually sat down and had coffee with the owner. Little tiny boat builder that puts out a few dozen boats a year, it was like stepping back in time, he actually contracted out to build boats for Criss Craft at one time.

Minnesota has tons of boats I think simply because of the amount of lakes up there.

That's just my thinking but when these older wood boats were being built you had to be pretty well off to own one and I think a lot of them ended up in vacation spots away from everyday life.

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 8:16am
The west coast doesn't have anywhere near the number of fresh water lakes as the east coast, midwest, or southeast regions of the country.

Life is Good.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 8:33am
Scott (Nauti84)

I just revisited your diary entry and saw the sad commentary that your boat didnt see the water this past summer. We cant let that happen again. I'm over on the Cape. Another member is a little further out on the Cape, the guy who has the featured boat on the home page is only about an hour away up by Framingham. I think maybe we need to get together this summer, just in the interest of enticing you back to the water. Maybe we can get Keith to come with his silver anniversery boat, he's only a couple hours away. I'd suggest a cape lake, but they are all pretty small and get nuts on weekends. Although as close as we all are, an evening could even work. Just something to think about.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 8:56am
I love wooden boats. Would LOVE to have a Woodie or a Garwood or a Chris Craft.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 9:01am

Another fact is, in the Northeast, we don't get as much boating time as the south and west. Our season is June - September, unless you're a die hard skier. Less hours are racked up on the hour meter, thus the boats last longer. That's just a thought.

Scott, my boat is featured this month. I take my boat to a lake in Natick. I plan on taking it to Mashpee this summer. I have family that live on a lake there. I'm not opposed to getting some members together for a day on the lake. Keith is about a half hour from me. We can bounce the idea off of Keith. The lake I ski on is 90% compet*tion ski boats. I'm game for any location.

Ken
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 9:23am
Ken,

I didn't intend to hijack this thread. (Sorry Brian) Have you come to Mashpee in the past, or would this be a first? And by in Mashpee, do you mean Mashpee Wakeby Pond or one of the smaller ones. Before I started spending most of my summer in NC, Mashpee Wakeby was my regular haunt. Like I said above, nice on weeknights, bedlam on weekends. One ramp, restricted access once parking lot is full. I've seen lines of boats on trailers waiting for someone to leave before they can get in.
If you get in early, its ok just for hanging out, but you wouldn't get any skiing in, except early in the morning. Anyway, might be fun to get a few together....or Natick.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 9:41am
Scott,

Yes, I've skied on Mashpee Wakeby. My uncle owns the first house on the left hand side as you depart the boat ramp, right next to the beach. It's a perfect ski lake. I plan on skiing there a few times this summer.

Definately, we should hook up this summer. I'm always looking for ski partner. My wife doesn't like to drive the boat, nor is she a big skier.

My e-mail is gonautique@charter.net. Sorry to all for breaking the original topic. Stay in touch.

Ken
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

The real question is: why does everyone in California have a hot tub? How many folks does your hot tub hold BKH?

Ever swam in the pacific ocean? Hot tubs are need out there to bring your core temp back up!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 11:10am
People in the east were cooler back then. They knew a good thing when they saw it.
Tim D
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 12:48pm
50 percent of the population (US) is in a 500 mile diameter of Ohio...Saw that on a tv special promoting amusement parks last year.
Scott
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 2:06pm
I think you guys have some of the right thoughts.

Much of CA's population growth occured after WWII when GI's moved here and started families. Their kids weren't grown and established till the 60's and 70s.

There aren't a lot of natural lakes in CA, AZ, etc. While we have a lot now, most are reservoirs built concurrent with the post war population increases.

Old School Money. While there is a lot of wealth in CA now, much of the old school wealth came out of the east, as suggested.

Need for speed. Good one. CA is rich in history for flatbottom, V-Drive type boats. Hondo and Sanger, come to mind, there are a lot of others. Also, speed skiing in the US grew up around the Catalina race and Clear Lake in CA.

One place where you will see a ton of classic boats is Lake Tahoe. A natural lake, and a playground for the wealthy during the first half of the century.

Ultra runner, not only swim in the Pacific, I surfed it for years. So-Cal is alright, but No-Cal will give you a chill, even with a 4mil wetsuit.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 3:04pm
Hey 75tique and nautique2001

I skiied Mashpee Wakeby many moons ago. We used to show up after work friday night and sleep in the lot at the boat ramp overnite to get the nice water first thing in the morning. I bet you couldn't get away with that anymore and they later put in a 10:00 am speed limit on the pond. Guess we pissed off one too many fisherman. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time and I hope it's not the last
Luke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 3:33pm
where are all you guys from the cape live, i lived there for 9 years and then moved 10 mins north of boston(worst mistake ever) loved the cape life, but anyways i only every saw i think one or two CC's there and one was in salt water.
74 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 7:48pm
Luke, where do you live? I'm currently in Medford.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 9:02pm
BKH; Great topic, lots of comment. But just for the record, how many does the wifes jacuzzi tube hold?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 9:05pm
Just two John, just two

BKH
Livin' the Dream

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 5:20am
BKH - looks like you woke alot of us EAST guys out of our long Winter's nap (Although it's been more like a long Spring so far!) and got us thinking about Summer - Thanks.
So not to hijack BKH's thread, it's looking like we need to get another thread going to bring all these Southern New England boys together.   
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 5:42am
81 nautique...

Surprised to hear recollections of Mashpee Pond from someone in Illinois. That also explains your familiarity with Central NH and Adirondack boating, I guess. No, I don't think camping at the ramp would be such a good idea any more. Speed limit in morning isnt such a problem any more. I have a friend on the pond and we used to (he still does but I don't hook up with them much anymore) get in some very early runs, weekdays or weekends, on his slalom course. Pretty rude fishermen out sometimes. They would either charge right up the middle of the course, or drop anchor right at the entrance gates. And they say skiers are rude. My friend dropped quite a few bucks on an accu-sink course which was virtually always submerged unless being used. The harbor master took it upon himself one early morning (when the course was sunk) to cut up the mainline into several pieces...just to make a point I think. Anyway, early mornings or late summer evenings are great. I've had a lot of fun out there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 6:06am
75tique,

Grew up in Rhode Island. spent 30 years there before moving to Illinois. I still get back about 4 times a year to visit family. I love the east coast, funny thing though when I lived there I couldn't wait to move away and now I can't wait to visit every year. The salt air and coastline gets in your blood and stays there forever.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 8:57am
BKH; Nice and cozy, just like me and my favorite driver like it also. Mrs. jbear is home after 10 long days in Hawaii and boy did I miss her. No adult supervision usually means trouble for jbear.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 9:20am
Brian,John,

Boy life is tough. Hottubbing for 2 in southern Cal and having to escape those brutal Florida winters for a stay in Hawaii. Meanwhile us Yankees are huddled in our burrows, burning the furniture to stay warm and dreading those middle of the night trips out to the outhouse. Good thing we have our daily dose of CCfan to give us something to look forward to.

Counting the days to the real and final move to NC, but unfortunately its still several years away.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 9:41am
75 tique; It is tough but someone has to do it. Godd thing you are burning the furniture. Mrs. jbear had to have all new "Florida" furniture when we relocated here. But believe me, start planning now, my 33 years with Ohio Bell went so fast. So , sooner than you know it you'll be down South here enjoying it with the rest of us. But I say Ditto on the C/CFAN, don't know what I'd do without it, to get thru these long warm nites. Sorry, couldn't resist!

john

PS: Does NC count as the "South"

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 11:42am
CCfan gets me though till May. This photo of the "back yard" in NC needs to get me through till 2011.

PS: When you live in MA, anything south of I-80 is the south.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic