Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Fuel Pump Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Fuel Pump Issue
    Posted: April-30-2013 at 6:17pm
The last couple of times I started the boat up I had erratic fuel pressure that leads to an eventually stall. Now, the fuel pumps will not prime with key on or inconsistently prime. Pumps will not/inconsistently prime even when grounded to STO.

I worked through Lewy's fuel pump thread:

lewy-amb

I cleaned all the grounds. With meter set on 200 ohms, I have a reading of .01 on pin 40 and 60 at ECM.

I have proper voltage on pin 37 and 57 at ECM with key on.

The one thing I noticed is that on 85 terminal of the fuel pump relay, voltage is less than 2.0v. The funny thing is that I sometimes get proper voltage and the fuel pumps work. Pressure is 32 psi when pumps work.

What would you recommend from here.

Also, no codes from tester. I did have to jump STI to ground to get code reader to work.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 9:40pm
Terminal 85 on FP relay is the 12V relay activation supply that is switched by the EEC relay. I assume you have replaced the relays in your trouble shooting.

By grounding the STO and the fuel pumps not running you have a problem with the power or 12V supply side of the circuit. Check voltage at pins 30 & 87 of EEC relay. You will need to make up some leads to gain access to the terminals on these relays.

What year GT40 do you have? Check for the presence of the large EEC fuse at the battery. These fuses were a known problem and PCM did a modification to the wiring.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2013 at 10:30pm
99 GT-40 and I do not have the fuse at the battery box. Power goes directly to starter relay. I swapped the relays and tried a spare that I have (cheap e-bay bosch style) and no difference in voltage. I'm getting 12+v on terminal 30 of ECC relay. Wouldn't the 11+v reading on pin 37 and 57 confirm the ECC relay is working?

I noticed that if I wiggle the wire (85 on fuel pump relay) I sometimes get a jump in voltage. Could it be possible there is a bad connection somewhere?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2013 at 1:40am
Originally posted by flipflop flipflop wrote:

I'm getting 12+v on terminal 30 of ECC relay. Wouldn't the 11+v reading on pin 37 and 57 confirm the ECC relay is working?

I noticed that if I wiggle the wire (85 on fuel pump relay) I sometimes get a jump in voltage. Could it be possible there is a bad connection somewhere?

James a positive way to eliminate the EEC relay is to make a jumper wire up about 4" long with a suitable spade connector on each end. Remove the EEC relay and jumper terminal 30 to 87 on the EEC relay plug harness. You should now have 12V at terminal 85 of the fuel pump relay.

If the voltage at this terminal jumps around while wiggling the wires to fuel pump relay. You either have bad connection at terminal 85 or the wire has a break in the harness somewhere.

89 Ski

flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2013 at 10:38pm
Alright, I jumped terminal 30 to 87 on ECC relay harness and I have less than 2.0v on each pin. When I remove the wire voltage goes back to 12v on terminal 30. I guess I need to check some components and/or wire down the line.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 3:19am
James, all jumpering terminals 30 to 87 of the EEC relay does is simulate a activated relay.

If it drops to 2V at terminal 85 of FP relay and 87 & 30 of EEC relay you have a problem somewhere in the circuit after the EEC relay.

Did you measure the voltage at fuel pump relay with the relay removed? It could be a faulty relay or pump. If you tested voltage with FP relay removed the voltage drop is coming from elsewhere in the EEC power circuit. Remove the big connector at the bottom of ECM (computer). Mentioned in AMB's old thread how to do this.

Is the voltage at terminal 85 of fuel pump relay harness now 12V? Also test the voltage on pins 37 & 57 of the ECM connector.

I assume you are working from the circuit diagrams in the reference section.

89 Ski

flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

James, all jumpering terminals 30 to 87 of the EEC relay does is simulate a activated relay.

If it drops to 2V at terminal 85 of FP relay and 87 & 30 of EEC relay you have a problem somewhere in the circuit after the EEC relay.

Any recommendation on where to start troubleshooting?

Did you measure the voltage at fuel pump relay with the relay removed?
It could be a faulty relay or pump.

Yes, it was under 2.0v. (I ordered two relays anyway. They should be here this weekend.)

If you tested voltage with FP relay removed the voltage drop is coming from elsewhere in the EEC power circuit. Remove the big connector at the bottom of ECM (computer). Mentioned in AMB's old thread how to do this.

Is the voltage at terminal 85 of fuel pump relay harness now 12V? Also test the voltage on pins 37 & 57 of the ECM connector.

Still 2.0v with ECM removed at both terminal 85 and pins 37 & 57 (check with grounds 20, 40 and 60. I also checked voltage on TFI module and ignition coil connector and got the same reading.

I assume you are working from the circuit diagrams in the reference section.

I was able to print everything out so I can look at it while I work.

Thanks for the help Lewy. Everything was running great until I brought the boat back from its last trip. I was flushing the engine and it starting having problems.

----------------------------------------------------
05-11-13 - Edit Post: Just to update. I ended up replacing the 12.5 AMP breaker which helped resolve my problem. Had a .40 resistance with ohm meter. Voltage was fine with key off, but dropped with key on.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 9:54pm
James we better make sure we are on the same page here. Now back track a bit and confirm where you are up to in trouble shooting this issue.

With both relays and ECM connector removed. You have 12V at terminal 30 of EEC relay harness.

Now without changing anything jumper terminal 30 to 87 on EEC relay harness (simulates activated relay) and the voltage drops to 2V at EEC terminals 30 & 87 and basically everywhere else in the EEC power circuit correct?

Does wiggling of the FP relay wiring harness still cause this 2V voltage to fluctuate as you mentioned previously?

89 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic