NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drill-A-Lift

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drill-A-Lift
    Posted: May-03-2013 at 12:19am
Thoughts? It's 45 bucks.

YouTube
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 12:58am
$45 + replacement drills when they go off the edge of the dock. Add a guick release drll safety teather hanging from the canopy and it might be cool.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 4:18pm
Just don't get anything caught in that wheel while spinning that fast.
Wonder how well it would work with a heavier boat though and the load spinning from dead center has got to be huge.

Interesting, if it works sure is cheaper then the $800+ motors.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Wonder how well it would work with a heavier boat though and the load spinning from dead center has got to be huge.

That's what I was thinking. I don't own a lift, and don't have a ton of experience, but I've spun a few in my day and I can't see a drill having the torque to do it, especially as Chris points out, having like 0 mechanical advantage. I am very suspicious.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 5:01pm
In the video, the boat goes from the water to being raised.... perhaps the gradual application of load allows it to look "effortless"?

Ok, all you engineers - here's your opportunity to wax eloquent .........
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 5:21pm
I don't buy it. It may work on a very light boat or jetski but not a 3000lb boat. I used my 19v drill on the bolt holding the wheel and got my boat halfway up in torque mode but then the drill was really hot. It definitely wouldn't go that fast either. Sure I don't have a Dewalt drill but that's also $200-$300.

I modified my Hewitt Hi-Lift lift for an 1100lb harbor freight hoist. I removed the normal cable reel on the hoist and bolted a small atv chain sprocket to it. Then I bolted another sprocket to the lift handle that is similar to the one in the video and run a chain between the two. I first ran a small sprocket on the hoist and a big one on the lift handle for max torque (roughly 1:3). I later added a slightly smaller sprocket on the lift handle (roughly 1:2) and it definitely bogs the motor down more but the wheel turns faster now.

Here is a picture of my first generation DIY boat lift. I've improved it since but don't have any picture readily available of it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

Here is a picture of my first generation DIY boat lift. I've improved it since but don't have any picture readily available of it.

How's your homeowners insurance when someone gets their hand caught in the sprockets and chain?

What do you do if you have a power outage?

You will note in my motorizing, the chain is completely enclosed. Also note that the driven sprocket can be disconnected via the "T" handles in the center hub. If the power goes out, I can still get the boat up. I also used a DC drive since it doesn't care about the voltage drop all the way to the lake. The DC (not pictured) is up under the canopy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 12:08am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

How's your homeowners insurance when someone gets their hand caught in the sprockets and chain?

:Insert smiley rolling his eyes: Really? Why are you always so cynical? I'm not saying do this... I'm saying a big powerful 110v motor designed for hoisting engines would struggle to get my boat out of the water with a 1:1 drive so I don't see how a hand drill would do it. <---that's my point and I felt saying "it won't work" wasn't enough justification.

I feel for you if you constantly worry about your "friends" sticking their hands in a moving saw tooth that you're blocking and then suing you. What happens when someone puts their head through your wheel when it's moving? Maybe you should put a shroud over the openings on your wheel...

What do you do if you have a power outage?

I can remove the chain in a couple seconds and go by hand if the motor or something tanks. If the power is out, taking shelter is usually on my mind more than taking the boat out.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 12:51am
We recycled my old garage door opener and found a lift motor cover
floating by one day that really finished it off. I do need to change
the gearing to speed it up since it was set up to lift a heavier boat

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Waternut Waternut wrote:

:Insert smiley rolling his eyes: Really? Why are you always so cynical? I'm not saying do this... I'm saying a big powerful 110v motor designed for hoisting engines would struggle to get my boat out of the water with a 1:1 drive so I don't see how a hand drill would do it. <---that's my point and I felt saying "it won't work" wasn't enough justification.

I feel for you if you constantly worry about your "friends" sticking their hands in a moving saw tooth that you're blocking and then suing you. What happens when someone puts their head through your wheel when it's moving? Maybe you should put a shroud over the openings on your wheel...

I may sound cynical but yes, I do think about safety and potential law suits. It's the world we live in. My statement was because you have not taken any precaution guarding the chain/sprockets. If you are "not saying do this", don't post a picture.

Regarding the "moving saw tooth", I thought of that as well. My using a DC control was not only because of the voltage drop but also because they have a torque limit setting. The torque limit is set just above the point needed to power the lift winch. As an extra precaution, I also used a torque limiting drive sprocket on the gearmotor.

Regarding your sprocket ratio change, did you start with a torque wrench on the wheel? Gear ratio and HP of the winch?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 10:00am
It isn't just a matter of getting sued. Keeping people safe is the goal - bad things can happen really fast when you aren't around to tell someone to 'watch out for that'.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 12:43pm

I may sound cynical but yes, I do think about safety and potential law suits. It's the world we live in. My statement was because you have not taken any precaution guarding the chain/sprockets. If you are "not saying do this", don't post a picture.

Regarding your sprocket ratio change, did you start with a torque wrench on the wheel? Gear ratio and HP of the winch?

I originally posted the picture because I didn't think people would understand my whole point with a description alone. My current setup is more protected now with chain guides but that was more to keep the chain from jumping off. Call it a safety feature if you like since you can't accidentally get caught in the chain now if that's what you're worried about. At the same time, the motor stops instantly when you let off the button so if someone or my dog gets close, I do instinctively stop the lift but that's more for the cross bars on the wheel than the gears.

No the initial gear setup and follow on gear change were very unscientific. I first started out with a 1:1 replacing the wheel with my motor and that didn't work so I went to a block and tackle setup which also didn't work because I ran out of cable before the boat was up. Knowing it had to be geared down, Gen 1 of my geared motor setup was based on readily available predrilled sprockets suitable for my application. Gen 2 used a readily available sprocket of smaller size but I had to drill the holes. Everything has come a long way in only 2 years and I'm always improving.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2013 at 2:09pm
Try lifting your boat with a 6" wrench on the wheel center bolt. If you can turn it with the wrench you will know the torque that needs to be applied by the drill, since it has an arm of about 6". I don't buy it! There are some really nice 12V systems with a battery and a small photovoltaic panel that work nicely, and it doesn't require 110V on the water, a safety advantage in my opinion even if the 110 is wired with the correct GFCI. These systems are becoming quite popular on my chain. I prefer to keep the manual system, keeps the shoulders limber.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic