Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speedo Pickup & Gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gsyogi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsyogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedo Pickup & Gelcoat
    Posted: May-08-2013 at 11:33pm
Ok, I think this is my final question before I send our '94 off next week for gelcoat work (wet sanding, polishing, waxing, new graphics, etc., etc.)—I wish I could do it myself, but I don't have the time or the space, (and two little kids) ... I just purchased a PerfectPass Precision Start GPS Speedo. The left (port) speedo pickup is a non-OEM unit and there seem to be some plugged holes already in the hull from the removal of the OEM pickup. So, here is the question: Remove it entirely, along with all the mounting hardware and have the hull/gel repair or leave it there and just plug up the tubing under the dash pod? Thanks again for all the great help. I WILL post pictures when I get it back!

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2013 at 10:00pm
My vote - Leave the pickups and remove the speedo hose at the balance tube - that way if your cap fails, it will leak into the bilge....I hate the idea of leaking into/under the dash.....

My boats have the tanks low enough to get to the balance tubes easily.....not sure if your tank might be in the way for that... if it allows you to get there....that's where I would go. That way you can go back easily and if the next owner finds an OEM Pitot, he's GTG..... Or if your pitot breaks, your spare is easy to find. Seal the holes only when you need it off..... Just my 2 cents.
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 12:01am
FWIW if you're having gel-coat work done, make it look pretty and have it pro. finished. Why would the next owner want to make any changes if you UPGRADE? Worry about what YOU want while you own the boat.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 9:05am
Originally posted by snipe snipe wrote:

Worry about what YOU want while you own the boat.

Totally agree - if you want it off, get it off.... I am doing the exact same thing in my 91, adding PrecisionStar. I am doing what I recommenced to you...leaving the pitot. I am also doing gel work on the Barefoot..... so it's a good time to take it off, but I don't want it off.

Why would the next owner want to make any changes if you UPGRADE?

Snipe - not everyone likes, or considers PrecisionStar an upgrade........ I do, but there's a small, vocal "Keep it original" contingent on this site. They buy our old simple boats from us when we upgrade to new boats - Ha!
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 9:38am
Skip over this thread Pete.
Sorry didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 10:06am

Skip over this thread Pete.
Sorry didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Ha..... and I was trying to be subtle!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2013 at 10:16am
It would be pretty easy to redrill the pitot mounting holes at a later time.

I myself would get rid of them - just another leak point.

The PO of my boat had replace the pitot & drilled new holes, filling the old ones with some sort of caulk - which was leaking. I filled the holes & regelled the small spots with a evercoat kit.    Not a perfect match but it is under the platform & usually has some lake stain anyway.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic