Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any tips for replacing wet exhaust hose?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Alcarlaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcarlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any tips for replacing wet exhaust hose?
    Posted: May-14-2013 at 6:23am
I've noticed a slight leak from one of the exhaust hoses. On Inspection it turns out that the hose doesn't go far enough over the fibreglass exhaust manifold so the jubilee clips cant seal properly. I've tried to free and move the exhaust hose to see if it will slide down a little but absolutely no chance this is going to happen, it seems to be stuck fast as I would have expected.

Plan B is to replace the hose, it's only 30cm long, no bends etc so I am hoping replacement is relatively straight forward. From the looks of it the hose can be placed over the fibreglass manifold then eased back up a little and onto the exhaust riser. I was thinking on sitting the new hose in boiling water to make it a little more supple, heat the manifold with a hair dryer etc to try to keep everything warm whilst working and add a little diluted washing up liquid to the inside of the hose. Any other tips?
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 7:26am
Soapy water has been known to lubricate hoses
Brian
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 7:59am
Al,
Check the fiberglass real close for any cracks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 9:46am
You sound like you are on the right track for the re-install. The trick is freeing up the old hose to remove it. I found something has to be inserted between the hose and whatever it has been attached to to break the bond. With fiberglass that is very hard to do without doing damage. Be patient and no prying what-so-ever. Happy wrestling!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 9:48am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Al,
Check the fiberglass real close for any cracks.

^^ this^^
Im with Pete 100%.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic