NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wrong firing order???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrong firing order???
    Posted: May-14-2013 at 4:18pm
I bought a '91 Excel with a PCM 351 last summer and put 30 hours on it. I put a new Holley on it this summer and put a 450CFM instead of a 600CFM accidentally. The boat runs good except that it is hard to start when it is warm and there is a slight hesitation coming out of the hole.

So I checked the plugs and they look great and checked the rotor and cap and in doing so I noticed that the firing order does not match the tag on the motor.

The tag on the motor: 18456273
actual firing order: 18724365

So any ideas why the firing order is different than what the tag shows? Could this be causing a problem?
1991 Nautique Excel
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 4:46pm
Not a ford guy I would guess that the factory tag is LH and the running order is RH. Pure conjecture with no research.
I shall be soon held up or knocked down by those who know.

Stand-by....
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 5:05pm
purely a guess, maybe since you accidently put a 450cfm on you might have accidently put the plug wires on wrong?

probably should follow the firing order on the engine.
This is the life
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 5:17pm
First step is to confirm whether you have a Left Hand (Standard) or Right Hand (Reverse) rotation engine.
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 6:11pm
I am pretty sure that it is a LH rotation motor in this boat. I did not touch the plug wires when I replaced the carb, so this is the firing order it has been the whole time I have had the boat.
1991 Nautique Excel
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 6:19pm
18456273 = RH 351w
13726548 = LH 351w

18724365 is not a firing order of a Ford Windsor of any sort, LH or RH.

Hopefully you were mistaken when you determined your firing order. Tell us how you numbered the cylinders, and which direction you followed the distributor cap around.
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 7:06pm
Thanks for chiming in TR. So I guess it is a RH 351w since the tag on the motor has the RH order that you listed.

So if I were looking at the motor from the back of the boat, which would be the front of the motor where the crank pully is, the left bank would be 1,3,5,7 and the right bank would be 2,4,6,8. I found the plug wire that went to plug number 1 and then went around counter clockwise. I did that because that is where plug #8 was connected. If it goes in the other direction then the firing order would be 15634278.
1991 Nautique Excel
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 7:12pm
Ford motor--- is   1,2,3,4 Right Bank 5,6,7,8, Left Bank. This is looking from behind the motor.

Looking from the front of the motor with the pulleys #1 is front left
#5 is right front.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by 1StopJeff 1StopJeff wrote:

So if I were looking at the motor from the back of the boat, which would be the front of the motor where the crank pully is, the left bank would be 1,2,3,4 and the right bank would be 5,6,7,8. I found the plug wire that went to plug number 1 and then went around counter clockwise.

Fixed it for you.

Once you correct for your (Chevy layout) cylinder numbering, you have the correct FO (18456273).
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 7:21pm
Yes, I am a Chevy guy. How silly of me to think that cylinder numbering was standardized.    Thanks!
1991 Nautique Excel
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by 1StopJeff 1StopJeff wrote:

Yes, I am a Chevy guy. How silly of me to think that cylinder numbering was standardized.    Thanks!

Ha! It's a Chevy guy looking at a Ford that's backerds in a V-Drive....

Enjoy your Excel - Fun boat!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic