Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rope snap back=ER trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
skirunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rope snap back=ER trip
    Posted: May-28-2013 at 9:04pm
Anyone heard of rope snap back??? I was learning how to wake board this weekend(having a hard time getting up) The rope handle recoiled into the boat and hit my wife in the head who was driving. When I got in the boat there was a lot blood and I was looking at two inches of her skull. We got a lift to the hospital in Johnson city via ambulance. Two CT scans later, she didn't have a skull fracture, obviously a lot of stitches were required. She has lost all of her hearing in her right ear and a little in her left, she also has vertigo and balance issues. We were using a wakeboard rope. I have skied for the past twenty years never had anything like this happen. Anyone ever experienced rope snap back to this degree??

I am currently looking for a new driver. Pay is min. with no hazard pay and must carry own medical insurance ... brain damage is possible. Anyone in TN Mountains need apply.    On the other side where would I get GT40 heads for a 93 HO ???   
79 nautique 93 nautique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by skirunt skirunt wrote:

Anyone heard of rope snap back???

I think most here would have. If you have been around water sports, you've dodged a handle. Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she recovers quickly and this does not affect her desire for skiing.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 9:18pm
Never happened to us, ever. However when dragging the line in the water after a fall, to return to skier, it will drag and "catapult" forward some, never even close to the boat. Good you still have a sense of humor, while your wife is possibly plotting to have attempted murder charges brought against you, divorce, and own that boat, wakeboard and all you have!!! Better get her some flowers!!
Js
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 9:26pm
Flowers, chocolate, jewelry, lots of jewelry. Hope she is OK.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2013 at 9:42pm
Slingshots happen when you hang onto the rope too long after the point of no return. Acceptable in a pro tournament, and the reason you used to see optional safe-t tops and nets on tour boats in the 80s and 90s. Much less acceptable in a recreational setting. When you fall, let go!

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 12:57am
I use a shock tube on the rope at the pylon which has a chance of deflecting the projectile handle away from the passengers. But I've seen a bloody lip when the rope snapped and just 1/2 f the rope recoiled into the center front seat observer. I've also shattered the mirror on the 88 at Tyler Lake, many years ago, as there is always a fine line between trying to pull it out and hanging on too long. Hollywood has experience with both.

Best wishes to your wife!

Todd
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 7:46am
Somehow this would be all my fault.
You will never ever ever hear the end of it.... ever.
I hope she gets better soon and the ER didnt hack up her hair doo.
You are in deep Bandini my friend. How deep remains to be seen.
You said "wake board rope"
I have never heard of the Dyneema cored or other zero stretch ropes snapping back... Hmm Ill have to investigate. I always thought that was trait of stretchy or poly ski ropes..
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 9:35am
Kinda unusual to see and hear about a zero stretch rope slingshotting back into the boat but I guess anything can happen. I sure hope your wife is okay and tell her the guys here are wishing her a speedy recovery. That had to hurt!

I've often wondered about the shock tubes and wheter or not I should use one. I did notice that all the slalom skiers in the masters were using them.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 9:48am
Morfoot,
A couple of years ago at White Lake you were behind that new 200.
Townsend was driving and I was in the observer’s seat , the rope broke ,
recoiled into the boat and ended up in my lap – remember?

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 10:11am
Shoot me an E-mail--- I'll take that challenge!-( Being the driver )
I'll get you up on that wakeboard in no time--- even it we have to pull the Skylark out
Again- Tell the wife- we all hope she makes a speady recovery ....

Oak Hollow Lake in High Point will be Ground Zero......
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 10:18am
I am glad she is recovering. The site store sells the shock tubes that some have spoken about on this thread. I have one, but have not used it in several years. However, I will start using it again.

Guys,

Would pulling from the BI High Fly help reduce the chances of this happening or just increase the chances of it happening? I realize that you can not go too far outside of the wake when being pulled on the High Fly, but we are skiing right behind the boat for now as we ( Family) are all learning to carve it up.

Donald
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

I've often wondered about the shock tubes and wheter or not I should use one. I did notice that all the slalom skiers in the masters were using them.

If my understanding of the shock tube is correct it's not going to prevent the handle from springing back. I believe it's there to prevent the first few feet of rope from looping around the driver in the event of a recoil.

Sorry to hear about your mishap and hope she's doing better. Tell her guys dig scars!
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 11:14am
Happened to my dad about 15 years ago. Hit him in the side of the head while he was driving. Luckily my mom was in the boat to drive it back...he couldn't speak English for 12 hours. Vomiting after standing a minute, was in the hospital for a couple days!

Anytime we have a new/bigger skier I put them on a no stretch cable rope.

Hope she's doing better!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 11:18am

Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Morfoot,
A couple of years ago at White Lake you were behind that new 200.
Townsend was driving and I was in the observer’s seat , the rope broke ,
recoiled into the boat and ended up in my lap – remember?   

Now that you mention it;..... I do... Isn't your memory the first thing that goes...or is it your eyesight?...... I forget!

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

If my understanding of the shock tube is correct it's not going to prevent the handle from springing back. I believe it's there to prevent the first few feet of rope from looping around the driver in the event of a recoil.
Sorry to hear about your mishap and hope she's doing better. Tell her guys dig scars!

Makes since Alan, I do know that a shock tube won't prevent a handle from recoiling back. I thought that through some sort of weird physics law that the tube reduced recoil somehow.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 11:34am
Used to send ropes back in and/or over the boat quite often years ago including a few head shots, took a chunk of gel out of the stern once.
Hasn't happened in years and always attributed it to better quality ropes. Perhaps one of you guy's in the rope know could list the best lines for slalom (skiing) and wakeboard that would reduce the chance of recoil.

Hope your wife is doing OK Runt
skirunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 1:37pm
This is Dave ( SkiRunts) wife. There is nothing to forgive, it was an awful accident. Trust me, no one could beat Dave more up over it than he's already doing to himself. I will tell you I was was very lucky, this was a glancing frontal lobe blow. If it had hit me in in the side, back or dead on, things would have been much worse. I didn't see it coming and it literally sounded like the world exploded in my head.

Thank you for the well wishes. I still am having hearing/neurological problems and have a consult today at UNC. So everyone please becareful whether you are the one in or out of the boat. This stuff happens quick and has the potential to be very detrimental to everyone involved.
79 nautique 93 nautique
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 2:39pm
You take care there Dave's wife. You are a trooper, I'm sure glad you aren't blaming, you are right it was an aweful accident.

Wishing you a full and fast recovery, hopefully it will just be a story to tell leaving no lasting effects.

Make sure your wakeboard ropes are spectra or dyneema. They will not stretch or recoil.

It's the Poly P that will stretch and shoot back into the boat.

Could we clarify what rope was being used, it was said it was a "wakeboard rope" which should have been spectra or dyneema...but they do not recoil like that.
This is the life
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 3:22pm
Polypropylene (Poly-P) ropes are notorious for recoil as they have a preengineered amount of "give" to reduce shock at the handle for tournament slalom and jump skiers. I've taken chunks out of the front of my slalom ski trying to get an extra half buoy and popping the handle.

A shock tube can help, but for wakeboarding, tricking, barefooting, etc., the rope should be a minimum of polyethylene (Poly-E, or Poly-E with Kevlar) or better yet Spectra/Dyneema because they have very little stretch and will not recoil. Hope your wife has a speedy recovery.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 7:18pm
Shock tubes work; reduce handles in boats by probably 80%. If you are especially skittish about it, use two of them on the rope.
Art
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 7:20pm
Shock tubes work; we have proven it time and time again in competition skiing. Probably cut handles in the boat by at least 80%. If you are really skittish about it, use two on the rope, and use low-stretch rope.
Art
"Art"
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 8:02pm
I had a similiar experience last weekend only without the handle. The ropr recoiled into the boat and across my back and right arm. My effects were nothing in comparison - I had roughly 1/4" raised welts and looked like my wife had been whippin the tar out of me.

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 8:04pm
A speedy and full recovery wishes to Dave's wife
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 8:25pm
Oh, I forgot the most important thing: I have two pairs of GT40 heads that I'd like to turn into some green paper.

One pair is on (the remains of) an engine that went swimming and then was left to sit with water in it. They are still on the engine, so I have not seen their insides. I would sell the pair for $150.

The other pair are off an engine and were replaced because one of them has some small external cracks into the water passage. Most of us who have dealt with these engines for a long time know that this is not unusual. We also know that they can be welded up and seldom ever crack again. As far as I know, the other head is useable as-is. I would take $100 for that pair.

All we need to do now is find a free ride for them from Orlando to wherever you are. Know anyone going to Dizzy World anytime soon?
"Art"
skirunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2013 at 8:38pm
Thanks for the kind words. I am sure I am not the only one when buying a wakeboard rope, if it says wakeboard rope, then you think it is a wake board rope.(d*cks Sporting Goods) I grew up water skiing, when we had kids we got away from the water. Thirteen years passed by quickly, a lot has changed. Back then a rope was a rope as long as it was thin. The education on ropes has been very helpful and hopefully helpful to others. Heather's appointment went well though they do not understand her hearing loss. Off to the neurologist for further testing if it doesn't return with in a week. Marty Mabe ,I will be in touch. Thanks for the offer!
79 nautique 93 nautique
wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 5:53pm
David, Sorry about wife's injury. I haven't heard of snap back with that serious of injury. I would be glad to be your driver if I could only get on lake . We usually go to lake Watauga but wife had knee replacement surgery two weeks ago and I haven't been on water yet this year. Now i have the kitchen gutted in a total remodel.
Watuugasn84
skirunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 9:33pm
Thanks maybe we will cross wakes sometime. We keep our boats at lakeshore. Fast recovery to your wife. Heather is in no condition to travel so my lake trips are on delay. A good time to fix the boat though. Art thank you for the offer but I am going to buy new. Just looking for a source to get them at a reasonable price. Bought the protech conversion, new lifter pump, steering cable, and have a sticky valve. Not bad for the first weekend out and took out my wife. Its going to be a great summer
79 nautique 93 nautique
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:03pm
Out of curiosity today I called Clearwater Cylinder Head. They offered rebuilts with all new valves and guides for $300 each. They said that they used to be much higher when the supply was low, but now they are more available so the price has dropped. Obviously I'm 'way high with what I had hoped to get for mine! Don't let anyone talk you into buying the aluminum ones. They are fine in automobiles with coolant in the system, but lake water will cause you unending corrosion problems where the aluminum meets the cast iron!
Art
"Art"
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:08pm
Ropes can get ya. I've been an old-school kinda guy forever and had never been in a tower boat until last year at Lanier. Riding in the rear seat of Buffalo's BFN, right when i was thinking "this tower thing is pretty cool and keeps the rope up high and outa the way" he turned to pick up someone who had fallen. Guess I shoulda been paying more attention, but the rope skipped quickly across the wake and wacked me real hard in the face. I recovered quickly and never said anything, but remember wondering, "what if that'd been a kid".......
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:21pm
Jeff, you are supposed to snag that handle with your teeth and never spill a drop of beer
skirunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2013 at 11:22pm
Art sounds like a good deal. I was quoted 700 ish per head for a new one. Accidents do happen never would of thought it would have such force. I will buy new ropes, and find a new driver maybe one of those homeless fellows looking for food
79 nautique 93 nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic