Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First day issues..am I on the right track?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First day issues..am I on the right track?
    Posted: June-02-2013 at 1:51am
Took my 97 sport with the GT-40 to the lake for the first time this year, which is a 50 mile trip.   2 issues.
1. Steering very stiff. I am guessing I need a new cable. (Wow those are pricy).   Any other ideas on what it could be before I buy one?
2. Engine got hot. I got it shut down right away because my main reason for going out was to check everything so I was watching the guages pretty close.   I just replaced the impeller last year and water seemed to be going through the engine still. Got her home and checked the water pump and impeller. No visual issues.   Pulled the thermostat out and it seemed pretty rusty. I put in in a pot of hot water to see if it would open.   It did open but when I dropped it in, I heard it pop so I am guessing it was stuck.    Put the water pump hose intake into a bucket of water and ran the hose in it. Started her up with out the thermostat and let her run for 20 minutes. Temp never got above 120. Water flowing through the system well. Ordered a new thermostat.
Just looking for verification and words of wisdom that I am on the right track here.   Thanks guys.

2006 SV 211 (sold) went to the dark side
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
05 Four Winns H180 (sold)
89 Four Winns 180 Freedom (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 2:03am
GT40 requires a 160F thermostat.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 6:52am
sounds like your thermostat is fine. rusty looking thermostat is OK, Don't run it without a thermostat. 120 means nothing.

air leaks, or pieces of old impeller impede flow is what I would look for.
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 1:23pm
Actually Andy sounds like he isolated the problem and it is/was a bad thermostat! Uncommon but possible.

Probably a bad steering cable but to be sure disconnect the cable end from the tiller arm that is bolted to the rudder. If the steering is still stuff without the load of the rudder it is indeed bad. They don't last forever.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Probably a bad steering cable but to be sure disconnect the cable end from the tiller arm that is bolted to the rudder. If the steering is still stuff without the load of the rudder it is indeed bad. They don't last forever.

+1 Rudder packing can be bad causing hard steering. A couple dollar fix over a couple hundred dollar fix and you have to tear it all apart anyway.
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 5:42pm
I love this site...type a question at night, go to bed and have answers in the morning. Thanks for your help.   Disconnecting the cable is something I hadnt though of.
My only reason for running with out the thermostat was to see if it made a difference and it sure seemed too. Unless the muffler was plugged I dont think I would have any impeller piece issues. The impeller is good and the previous one was still very much in tact.
How does one go about checking for air leaks?
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2013 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by *mtrbtr* *mtrbtr* wrote:

How does one go about checking for air leaks?

There really isn't a good way to check for actual leaks. Double check all the suction side hoses for tightness. Use a ratchet and socket on the hose clamps and not a screwdriver. Check the gasket on the sea strainer. Any air getting into the suction side of the RWP will reduce it's capacity.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 11:29am
The cable for 97 and older is $$$. The cable for 98 and newer not so bad. It is possible to convert the rear helm section to the newer style pinion gear to match the larger cable rack which will make subsequent cable replacements less pricey. They both have about the same service life. The original rotary style cables seem to last much longer for only god knows why. Pack some grease in the support tube on replacement to keep water intrusion to a minimum.
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 3:29pm
Zach,
Do you know what it takes to make the modifications to the helm?

By the way, attached is a picture of the cover you sold me after I made tower modifications. Very happy with it. Trailered very nice on a 100 mile round trip at highway speeds.

Also threw in a pic of the water Saturday. Wish the boat would have worked.....
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 4:19pm

2. "Engine got hot".

How hot? what temp did it go to?

"I put in in a pot of hot water to see if it would open.   It did open but when I dropped it in, I heard it pop so I am guessing it was stuck.

bad guess...it opened so it was not stuck. if it jumped out of the water and ran away...it still opened...youcould have repeated it a few times to cure yourself of thinking it was stuck.
This is the life
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 4:57pm
Yeah maybe but for 15 bucks I will put a new one in.   I will tighten all the hose clamps and connections and see what happens. Maybe I had an air leak somewhere.
I will let you know how it does.   
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 4:59pm

Zach,
Also threw in a pic of the water Saturday. ]

THAT is what your lake looks like on a SATURDAY! What was the water Temp, cause we never see a Saturday lake/sky conditions like that unless it's No Wake hours.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 5:07pm
Montana!
This is the life
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 5:44pm
That was taken at about 8:00AM and water is probably only about 45 degrees. A few fishermen on the lake is all. Water will get up to probably 65-70 degrees in the dead of summer.   This particular lake gets pretty crowded on a weekend afternoon but most mornings and weekdays are just like the picture. Summers are short and cool here but living in MT where cows outnumber people has its benefits.   
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
*mtrbtr* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *mtrbtr* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:56am
Took the boat out today and it ran perfectly right at proper temp. Not sure if that was to the new thermostat or because I tightened all the hoses.   Earlier this week I unhooked ther steering cable from the rudder. The steering cable was definitely the problem.   The rudder could still stand to be taken apart and greased.
97 Sport Nautique (sold)
89 PS 190 (sold)
75 MFG (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic