NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut WTD

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut WTD
    Posted: June-03-2013 at 10:13am
Im after a strut/'p-bracket' for an 82 Tique if anyone has one up for grabs?
Have tried to straighten my bent one but not having much luck.
It can be found here:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28682&title=bent-strut

Thanks
'82 Ski Tique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 7:57am
Graham,
What problems are you having with trying to straighten your strut? I just went through trying to do my 6A but it sure was worse than yours. A crack showed up so I ended up getting a new one (6A6).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 9:47am
Hi Pete, due to not having a workshop at home I'm limited to using what I can get away with at work (vice and a big hammer).
Ive had a couple of attempts without much improvement, in fact here it is has been sitting on my desk for last month!

'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 9:50am
Oh, and along with the banana shaped tiller arm, bent strut and shaft and broken trans mounts the PO even manage to bend the cable support tube!!!

Just got a new one ordered, it seems they come with a rubber seal on the end.
Anyway, I digress..
'82 Ski Tique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 10:15am
Good staging on the pictures!

You will need a frame to push against - it takes a lot of force.

Frame
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 8:42pm
Haha, no seriously boat is my desktop wallpaper I am that sad, but yes had to set it up for effect

I saw your post a while back, great idea just I don't have that kind of metal hanging about to knock up a frame, and returned the welder I had on loan, so the price of fabricating a frame would probably be the same as getting a replacement strut.
If I can find one that is
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Graham,
What problems are you having with trying to straighten your strut? I just went through trying to do my 6A but it sure was worse than yours. A crack showed up so I ended up getting a new one (6A6).

Just priced up a 6A6 man they are expensive!!!
'82 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 9:54pm
Grahm
You need a press with a right angle base plate to see if the strut can be straightened.

My 6A6 just showed up. Yup $$$ but I hand no choice when the crack showed up on my old 6A in the press.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2013 at 11:42pm
Ship it to me. I can get it straitened if its any way possible.
Nothing to loose trying...
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 5:36am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Ship it to me. I can get it straitened if its any way possible.
Nothing to loose trying...

REALLY??!
'82 Ski Tique
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2013 at 9:18am
Yeah, really. Shipping is all you loose if its junk you will need a new one anyway, if it can be fixed, my guy can fix it.
So the cost of shipping is the only risk unless I'm missing something..

M&M machine. They have a new specialized MRI for running gear inspection, computerized balancing of props to 62" three shaft lathes, a bunch of stuff I cant ID and a strut press that is well, rather large. It is custom made to address twist and bends both.
The shop is owned by a good friend and colleague who is also my #1 engine surveyor.
His running gear guy is the best I have ever seen.
He straightened a master craft strut for me that looked pretty much like yours does and he also did the one for my boat so i know he can fit the little stuff on his press.
I offered, its up to you..
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 6:02am
Wow, sounds fantastic.. and a very kind offer I think I would be MAD to not take you up on.
Thanks!!!
Shall drop you a pm when I get home tonight (afternoon your time
'82 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:19pm
Graham,
John's offer sure is nice but wouldn't the shipping be a PITA? You must have ether a prop shop or machine shop over there that could do the job?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 12:29pm

Graham,
John's offer sure is nice but wouldn't the shipping be a PITA? You must have ether a prop shop or machine shop over there that could do the job?

Well it's not ideal Pete but..

Shall make a few calls tomorrow, also need to find a source for some 1" stock to get a shaft made up
'82 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

.. also need to find a source for some 1" stock to get a shaft made up

Don't forget to measure your shaft coupling for the .000" to -.0005" fit. Have you looked at a double taper set up?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 2:26pm

My 6A6 just showed up. Yup $$$ but I hand no choice when the crack showed up on my old 6A in the press.

Here's the job my son did on the Tique strut. He says he hit a log but I have my doubts! The prop has a pretty big tear in one of it's blades.

The 6A6 with an inch cut off to match the original 6A length. I ground the taper on the cut end and then distressed the ground area with my needle descaler to match the cast surface. I had already ordered the 40" ARE shaft, they had made it so I couldn't change the shaft length to 41"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 3:24pm
Pete - Is there any power tool you don't have??
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Pete - Is there any power tool you don't have??

Chris,
Just before Christmas or my birthday, my wife ask's me the question about what do I need for tools. After telling her, she then proceeds to tell me "I though you had everything"!    You never have enough even if you use it once, it's worth the cost. And, I have very little cheap Chinese junk from Harbor and Northern. The needle descaler is a Northern tool. but, it works!!

Here's the valve cover I made for the missing one when I did the job on the 1927 Universal Flexifour. The distressing comes damn close to what a casting looks like.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2013 at 7:41pm
Your son did a proper job of that!!!

Yes I considered an ARE but need to keep the cost down and can probably get a single taper shaft made for not much more than shipping alone of an ARE
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 7:46pm
John, not sure if you got my PM last week but the strut came back. Thanks again for organising it all for me, your help is very much appreciated
And he did a fantastic job!!! I wired the 330 to your PayPal just let me know if for some reason you don't receive it.
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 8:12pm
All cleaned up after plugging either end and giving a super light grit, is now like new!

'82 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic