Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SEACAST stringer repair

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hillbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SEACAST stringer repair
    Posted: February-10-2006 at 2:33pm
Hello folks I've lurked here for awhile but I now need youre help and expertise on old CC. I have an 1986 2001 and the floor is bad. Well when I pulled up the flooring I found rotting stringers! Have any of you used SEACAST before. And do you think it would work well for my boat. I would have to do step 2 in stringer repair @ www.transomrepair.com Think this would work? or should I just pull out the old and put in new? Thanks alot for taking the time to help me out.       Jeff
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2006 at 4:32pm
I too have my boat gutted right now and will be replacing the stringers, I investigated the seacast product and have reservations about using it. It will be heavy, and stiff and I was worried about compatability issues, so I gave them a call. When I asked about compatability with polyester and epoxy resins they said no problem, but with some furthre digging on their website they say it is not compatable with epoxy. Their product is styrene based (polyester. So would not play well with epoxies.

Also the cost will not be insignificant, you will need at least two 5 gallon kits to complete the repair if you are going to replace 100 percent of the wood. Do not attemp to replace only portions of the wood with sea cast as it is polyester it will not adhere to the wood long term. I was looking at doing teh same thing with a epoxy matrix but in the end decided to use douglas fir.

Gary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic