NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley Issues
    Posted: June-10-2013 at 10:09am
..so Im about to strip down the carb due to secondaries flooding the engine with fuel, hopefully it will just be a stuck float or something to that affect, shall post pictures once its taken apart.

In the meantime, does anyone have the part number or know where I can source one of these? the top 'spout' that the fuel comes out of, mine was very rusty and crumbled when trying to remove - it now seems they are marine specific and I cant find any on the web anywhere
'82 Ski Tique
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 10:22am
Sounds like a bad float and/or needle and seat.

The vents you're looking for are commonly called J-tubes:
http://www.carburetion.com/sitesearch.asp?category=Holmisc&Title=Misc%20for%20Holley%20Carburetors
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2013 at 6:31pm
Thanks, got a pair order from allcarbs.com
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 2:15pm
Pulled the carb this morning, I removed both bowls and the floats seem to be working ok. Blowing down the fuel tube that runs between the two bowls it no longer allows air through once the float is half way up.
I put it all back together and tried to start it up, the j-tube is missing from the secondary, the engine will now run for 5 secs then stall whilst firing a jet of fuel up in the air.
Im guessing it should be ok to run with the j-tube missing when out of the water?

Any ideas what the problem is?
Help!!
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 2:18pm
Primaries are also dripping after engine has stopped.. again
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 2:46pm
Started it up a few more times, no fuel seems to be coming out of the secondaries at all now, which as far as I understand is a good thing.
But primaries still dripping, I don't really want to start it up too many more times now as don't want to thin the new fuel (guess it will burn off eventually but..)
Any ideas regarding the dripping, all seemed in order with the floats..
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 3:01pm
Just noticed its portside primary only
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 5:27pm
Adjusting idle screws on both primaries from about to fall out to as tight as can be has NO effect on fueling????

I'm not giving up with questions on this, someone's going to have to entertain me soon..
'82 Ski Tique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by gR@HaM gR@HaM wrote:

Just noticed its portside primary only

One thing I know about this, is that supposedly the side it comes out of doesn't necessarily indicate anything because one bowl is supplying both left and right. It's just going to drip out of one side or the other and the slightest tilt will affect it.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2013 at 11:05pm

Adjusting idle screws on both primaries from about to fall out to as tight as can be has NO effect on fueling????

If you have leaky primaries, and idle screws are having no affect, everyone used to always say this was the powervalve.

It seems like people haven't been mentioning the powervalve as much lately for some reason. But, I'd have to say it's still sound advice.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 10:02am
Thanks for your input, any suggestions gratefully recieved at the moment.
When I first got the boat the carb was leaking from the primaries, I since bought a Holley 'trick kit' which seemingly solved the problem (although Im not 100% sure of that tbh) leaving it to stand for 10 months I now got the engine running and again the primaries are leaking.

I did change the powervalve as part of the kit, although not sure whether it has to be a certain type I just used what came with the kit.
This is the one that I removed, might be worth re-fitting it and then seeing whether the idle screws do anything?..

'82 Ski Tique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 11:22am
Hmmm, if you replaced the powervalve, that can most likely be ruled out. There is some discussion about whether a 2.5 or 6.5 Powervalve is better, but neither one should be allowing fuel to leak at idle if it's not ruptured.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 11:29am
If you google "Holley 4160 unresponsive to idle adjustment screws" you'll get quite a few hits, including this one, which isn't necessarily the best since it's an automitve discussion but the principles are the same:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/idle-screws-do-nothing-holley-25492.html

What it's basically saying is the fact that it's leaking fuel through the boosters, is taking control away from the idle adjustment screws.

So, you'll have to get that taken care of, float level etc. first. Quite a few guys on here have experienced bad needle and seats brand new out of the box.

The word on the street now is that these guys are who to call: http://daytonaparts.com/
They have a proprietary needle and seat that is supposed to be better.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 4:51pm
I haven't changed the needle and seat, but by plugging the holes with finger and thumb whilst blowing into the fuel inlet, lifting the float results in an airtight seal.

I stripped it down yet again this evening, noticed there was two gaskets on the power valve weren't sure whether there is supposed to be so took one off.

Also noticed that the o-ring here didn't have a particularly tight fit on reassembly so fitted a new one:

I obviously removed the block from the primary to get to this so whilst it was separated blew compressed air numerous times into all of the holes within both sides of the block and the side of the carb.

Putting it all back together and back on the engine, it's still dripping when switching the engine off, and again no affect when adjusting the idle screw
'82 Ski Tique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 5:49pm
Have you replaced a fuel pump at all prior to all this happening? Have you checked the fuel pressure into the carb?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 6:09pm
I think its running off the slots and perking fuel up to the boosters.

The new needle/seat are likely fine now.

The idle fuel orifice (2) sound still clogged. Get a fresh metering block, or try some ultrasonics with a surfactant and some pine sol.
Get it so the idle mix screws are effective, and I suspect the drips will go away.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 6:24pm
How long has it been since this carb was rebuilt? Get a rebuild kit, a couple of cans of carb cleaner and rebuild it. The power valve should only have one gasket on it. These carbs are simple to rebuild/work on. If you are unsure of rebuilding it get this book, a couple of beers and you should be set. The book is a short but very good read.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Have you replaced a fuel pump at all prior to all this happening? Have you checked the fuel pressure into the carb?

Nope it has the pump that came with the boat when I bought it last year, looks old but is double diaphragm.
Not sure how you would go about checking fuel line pressure?
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Hi, not sure I understand but took a couple of videos of carb running shall post them tomorrow

The idle fuel orifice (2) sound still clogged. Get a fresh metering block, or try some ultrasonics with a surfactant and some pine sol.
Get it so the idle mix screws are effective, and I suspect the drips will go away.

I have access to an ultrasonic plate in the lab at work, could always stick the block in some solvent and give it a try
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by cphase cphase wrote:

How long has it been since this carb was rebuilt? Get a rebuild kit, a couple of cans of carb cleaner and rebuild it. The power valve should only have one gasket on it. These carbs are simple to rebuild/work on. If you are unsure of rebuilding it get this book, a couple of beers and you should be set. The book is a short but very good read.

I bought a Holley trick kit last year, fitted new gaskets, o-rings, powervalve, and accelerator pump diaphragm. I cleaned it all out with degreaser and also used compressed aerosol can to blow air through all the holes.

Thanks for heads up on the book shall check it out..
'82 Ski Tique
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 7:02pm

Did you replace BOTH orings on the accelerator pump transfer tube that is sticking out of the main body in this picture? A leak there can cause a rich issue.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 7:19pm
Nope where does the second one go? In the same groove where the o-ring shown in the picture is?
Or does the pump tube need removing? I couldn't work out how to remove it and didn't want to break it..
Thanks!!
'82 Ski Tique
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 7:34pm
It will be a snug fit but it will pull out.

Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2013 at 9:08pm

Hi, not sure I understand but took a couple of videos of carb running shall post them tomorrow

Slots are transition slots. I had forgotten about those too. I researched it and came up with this. Couple a good pics and explanations: http://www.carcraft.com/howto/77958/
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 9:16am
[QUOTE=cphase] It will be a snug fit but it will pull out.
QUOTE]

ok thanks shall try to pull mine out, although it being a very tight fit possibly indicates it has a good seal..
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 9:19am
Video of carb running, and no affect when turning idle screw (same for starboard side)
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 9:20am
Dripping once switching engine off
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 9:21am
[click on above pictures to open video ]
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 3:58pm
I've ordered the book as recommended by jeff, current next steps are to have another go at cleaning the block on primary side and replace that second o-ring.
Anything else I may be missing?

Although I fitted new bowl gaskets last year it looks like I need another one for the primary already, prob due to removing the bowl so many times. Shall get another ordered anyway..

If that doesn't work I really don't know what to do other than pay for a company to reconditioned it but sure that would cost ££££
'82 Ski Tique
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 4:36pm
You can check your needle/seat by inverting the bowl, covering the fuel transfer tube hole(on the primary bowl this is the tube that allows fuel to get to the secondary bowl) and blow into the fuel inlet fitting. It should not let any air through. Do the same for the secondary bowl except blow into the fuel transfer tube opening. Make sense? What is the list number for the carb?
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic