NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

THE HIGHEST AROUND

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE HIGHEST AROUND
    Posted: February-13-2006 at 7:09am
Here in NC, our governor recently raised the gas tax 6 cents per gallon, like gas isn't high enough. Add the federal gas tax of 18 cents, we're paying over 48 cents a gallon tax. The photo below is a sticker on a gas pump showing neighboring state rates. Now there's talk of adding tolls. Hey, if farmers can buy non-highway diesel for their tractors, I think the marinas should sell non-highway gas for our boats.

Tim D
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2006 at 8:21am
They may be the highest in your immediate area but they pale in comparison to our here in the empire state which are right around 46 cents a gallon before federal taxes. Cheapest gallon of 87 octane in town today was 2.67. Still better than the 3.60 I was paying at the height of ski season this summer when I was using about 11 gallons a weeknight and 17 or so each day on the weekend, I have been resisting the urge to multiply that out by the 16 weeks I had the boat running for cause I really do not want to know...
-Joe.

http://api-ec.api.org/filelibrary/mft070105.pdf
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2006 at 9:26am
Reid the tightwad here: For many of us boaters across the country, dont' forget that some of our states allow us the ability to get a refund on this fuel tax. As a kid, my dad did this religiously, as I WENT thru some fuel. While I haven't been doing it, I will definitly be starting back this year. I've been told you must have all your original receipts, and for NC boaters you just send them in with the correct form you can find here; "www.dor.state.nc.us/forms" and it's form GAS-1201.   Since I didn't save my actual pump receipts I'm going to try filing anyway with my credit card statements. Find out if your state allows this. Thanks for bringing that to our attention Tim.     
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2006 at 11:18am
Yup, we're now 3rd of 4th highest in the country for gas tax. And our roads still suck. Gotta love an increase in a tax that hurts the poor the most. And to think we've got 2 more years of him.

At least we finally got our lottery.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 6:17am
Missouri (where I grew up) allows you to get a refund for fuel. Iowa (where I live now) does not.

On top of that if you read Iowa's laws regarding fuel taxes it says that the road tax portion of fuel consumed for marine use goes to a state "boating fund". It would be easy to keep track of gas sold at marina's for this fund but how on earth would you keep track of fuel sold at normal gas stations? They can't, therefore the state just doesn't want to give up the revenue.

Taxes are one of the big reasons I'd like to have a diesel ski boat. Fuel economy is the other. With a diesel I could fill up at my father-in-laws diesel barrel (off road fuel) for $.50 less than the pump. And a diesel will get 20-40% better fuel economy.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 6:44am
Yeah, then you could also run "Bio-Willie"!
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 6:47am
Your skiers would smell french fries instead of hydrocarbons.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 9:20pm

Guys... hearing you bemoan high gas prices is funny.

Gas is currently $1.11 - $135 per LITRE! here and the Australian govt takes over 48% of that in tax.

Our roads are shocking and the trend is towards toll roads.

I was over in the USA last August and you guys have got it pretty good compared to the rest of the world.

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 9:21pm
A couple of solutions:
1. Recall that Tax-N-Spend Liberal Govenor and get every one you know to vote in the next election. Where's the money going by the way?
2. Buy stock in ExxonMobil, Shell or ConnocoPhillips. Everybody but Exxon shareholders complain about the profits Exxon is making.
3. Support Ethanol and Bio-diesel and other alternative fuels. I'm tired of those Middle Eastern Bastards (Yes, Ishmael, son of Haagar was the bastard child of Abraham, making them all bastards)holding us hostage.
Good news is West Texas Intermediate Crude Futures were down today. That may give us a break at the pump, until the refineries start converting to Summer Fuel and the increased demands of summer hit.
Wow...that was a lot to digest. But the above and $4 will get you a small cup of coffee at the local Starbucks. Goodnight
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 9:30pm
markb,
    Of course we have it good compared to the rest of the world, that sure isn't going to stop us from complaining about it, thats what America is all about. But I would trade our lowest in the free world (not counting subsidised rates in the mid east) gas prices for a few of those hot austrailian blonds with that superhot accent. Quick fact.. Canada supplies the US with twice as much oil as the whole middle east.. I wish gasoline engines weren't soo much fun, maybe in 15 years I will be dropping the first hydrogen fuel cell powered engine into a 1967 mustang....
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2006 at 10:00pm
Nasty taxes to be sure Tim, but not even in the top ten in the US. See the following:
http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/1054.html

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 8:05am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Quick fact.. Canada supplies the US with twice as much oil as the whole middle east..

The US does Import a lot of oil from Canada but not twice as much as the whole Middle East. Canada sends a little more than Saudi but The Pursian Gulf and OPEC exceed Canadas numbers. Plus the Canadian Oil doesn't yield as much gasoline per barrel as the Middle Eastern Crude.
Also, because the US won't approve permits to build new refineries, we import refined fuel, which I think is nuts.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 8:34am
they may not be build refineries for gasoline but they have a lot of E85 refineries going up in the midwest.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 8:57am
So save your fuel receipts. The tax is reimburesed from the state (at least it is here in virginia.
Receipts to be submitted must have name, date, and address of gas station and gallons purchased. Form for submitting is available from the (your) state income tax website. I got about $34.00 back from Virginia last year!
Check your state website for more info. on fuel tax.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 11:47am
Reid, thanks for the form site. I think I'll do it this year. I know a guy who cuts a lot of grass, and he does it and he said it adds up quick. As for Canada, we get 10% of our oil and 15% from Venezuela. Venezuela had their little uprising summer before last and gas jumped to 1.59
Tim D
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2006 at 12:05pm
That E85 is good stuff. I wonder what one would need to do in order to get the ol' SN to run on it? Maybe just a carb adjustment? 105 Octane would be sweet.
Better yet, build a still and brew your own Ethanol then blend the E85 yourself. That would cut the gasoline tax you pay by 85%!
Let's see, Recipe foe Pappy's Corn Squeezin's... 100 pounds of Yeast and some copper line...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic