NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Guy Here
    Posted: June-19-2013 at 4:13pm
Just picked up a '92 Ski Nautique yesterday from an ad on this forum. So far we are very happy. She needs new skins and a few odds and ends, but for her age, she looks great.

Can't wait to take it out for the day and to fix what little is wrong with it.

First question: which is the best ethanol treatment for the gas? I was told to use the Marine Sta-bil.

Thanks
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 4:47pm
Welcome to the site and to the CCF Family! Pictures of the new boat are always great!

Marine Stabil is good as is Starbrite's ethanol treatment, I generally just try to avoid the ethanol blends, it means driving 20 miles for fuel but usually we are headed in that direction anyway.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 4:48pm
Pics or it didn't happen!

The best ethanol treatment is to burn it as quickly as possible
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 5:11pm
Like HW said. Theres no need to treat for ethanol unless youre preparing for a long layup.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 5:16pm
Welcome and congrats. Now lets see some pictures of this beast ;)
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 9:11pm
Here she is. I had to shrink the file size down due to the limit. Don't plan on keeping gas in her long, but the previous owner said he always used some gas treatment.

brittcrowell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 10:20pm
NICE and PP too!
Wish my boat still looked that nice.
At least i got a tower :-P

Britt
'93 Ski Nautique (needs new interior)
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 10:14am
nice boat James! Welcome to the family!
83Ski
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 5:21pm
Boat looks in great shape.

Now you just need to hollow out the silencer and her that puppy roar!
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 7:47pm
Thanks guys. We pick her up tomorrow. I can't wait. She does have some issues, but we will address them in the fall. She needs:

New skins ($1600) from Nautique Skins. We will hit a few upholstery shops that came recommended from friends to see if we can get a better deal.

We want to replace the stereo.

Tach might need replacing (didn't work on water test. Owner said it worked last time he took it out).

Water temp gauge needs the finger flick on occasion. Seems cheap to replace.

The gelcoat has some cracking on the top above the rub rail. I have a guy who can spray with several coats of filler primer with a sand in between each coat. Then lay on some new white and a fat clear for about $500.

If you guys have any suggestions or know places or people who can help out with our TO-DO list, please let us know. Also let us know if any of the above is a bad idea. We are green to Nautiques and want to learn as much as we can.

Come oooooooonnnnnnnnnn Friday

Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 8:17pm
Welcome aboard James! She sure looks clean!
Where are you in Florida? I have a 92 also, replaced the tach (Easy) and also the temp gauge is now requiring a slap to work! I cleaned and tightened the connections and it was fine for 9-12 months, now acting up again. You are in the right place for help and direction!!
Js
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 8:30pm
James,
I'm sorry I missed this post somehow. Absolutely, welcome to CCfan. Congratulations on the boat purchase. I know you will have lots of fun with it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 9:36pm
What is that on the right side of the motor? The black on top of the water hose?
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 10:52pm
Thanks for the info everyone. I go by John or JP. Long story.

@SmithFamily: I live in Orlando like you. I'll be on Conway Saturday.

@89Martinique: I think you are refering to the Perfect Pass. Here's a few more pics including the PP from the front.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

Spoken like a true old-school Keuka dude.

My Dad used to say he could hear us when we'd start at the Switz and head to the Wheel Inn. A loud inboard can be a very useful parental tracking tool.

Silencer? What is this thing, Silencer?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Spoken like a true old-school Keuka dude.

My Dad used to say he could hear us when we'd start at the Switz and head to the Wheel Inn. A loud inboard can be a very useful parental tracking tool.

Silencer? What is this thing, Silencer?

Haha. There are still some Distinctive loud boats on Keuka. My Supra included :D. Haha. The Dual 3.5" ports resonate and boy she is loud for a 351w. Hmmm. Lets see. Im just south of the waterfront and my friend who is at the very end of the bluff can hear me start up and take off :D

I bought my Martinique off ebay and had never seen an 89 before. Boy what differences to the previous years! That first summer everyone didn't know i was there I was at their dock. That thing is quiet! Everyone was used to the sound of my Supra

There are some i/o people who try to do dry exhaust on their small block v8s. They sound messed up. How ever, the cigarette boats with their dual big blocks are always music to the ears
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 11:46pm
@ JPASS

Oh ok. I haven't seen a perfect before. Thanks for the close up. Looks pretty simple. Enjoy that HO 351W. My supra takes off like nothing. And I don't have the gt-40p heads!

Does that HO 351W have a Holley 4010 "fish bowl" carb?
Or is that really just a Supra thing?
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2013 at 11:52pm
Never mind. I went back and I can see the fuel rail setup. Careful with the 4010. They beat any 600cfm. For some reason the basics of the 4010 are a big advantage, but also a big disadvantage. The 4010's have a hard time staying consistent. The only problem I have with mine is the idle! Perfect 600 rpm idle cold. Perfect sound from exhaust too. But once its warmed up it idles 800~900 rpm and any lower likes to die in gear.

And the floats in mine just got eaten up by e10!!! So I had to replace them with after market metal floats. But did a quick fix with JB weld and worked for a few months. :D

Might as well add that it was over 10 years after I bought my boat that the 4010 needed to be rebuilt. Bought 1994. Rebuilt 2006 I believe.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 12:05am
89Martinique:

Ah, The Waterfront! My folks used to own it in the 70's when it was The Vintage. Best summers of my life; bussing tables, working the kitchen, and docking boats for tips. Sleep, ski, work lunch, ski, work dinner, drink, sleep, repeat...Lived in little garage apartment which is now the outside bar on the north side. We also ran The Wheel Inn, walking distance north, the best bar on the lake before it burned down. Maybe The Wheel was before your time.

My family's been on Keuka since the Revolutionary War and still is.
Love to hear from other Keuka fans, how long you been around Keuka?

I see your E-Scow mention, love 'em, I think we had this conversation once before...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 12:20am
Who's the hot chick in the mirror?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 12:35am
The finish of your boat is entirely gelcoat. No paint or clear. Start by buffing out those cracks. They might go away "enough" without any further repair. There are several good threads already in these forums on the subject. Try a google search like this "gelcoat restoration site:correctcraftfan.com/forums". This will restrict the results to here. The proper repair would be grinding the cranks out, filling, fairing and regelling the whole area. Don't mess with any paint or clear coats they might look nice at first but will likely be trouble in the end.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittcrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The finish of your boat is entirely gelcoat. No paint or clear. Start by buffing out those cracks. They might go away "enough" without any repair. The proper repair would be grinding the cranks out, filling, fairing and regelling the area. Don't mess with any paint or clear coats they might look nice at first but will likely be trouble in the end.

If he has as many cracks as my '93, that might take a couple of years!
Britt :-(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 3:11am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

89Martinique:

Ah, The Waterfront! My folks used to own it in the 70's when it was The Vintage. Best summers of my life; bussing tables, working the kitchen, and docking boats for tips. Sleep, ski, work lunch, ski, work dinner, drink, sleep, repeat...Lived in little garage apartment which is now the outside bar on the north side. We also ran The Wheel Inn, walking distance north, the best bar on the lake before it burned down. Maybe The Wheel was before your time.

My family's been on Keuka since the Revolutionary War and still is.
Love to hear from other Keuka fans, how long you been around Keuka?

I see your E-Scow mention, love 'em, I think we had this conversation once before...

Yes we have had this conversation before!
Both my parents been there since the 70's. My dads family no longer has their place. Its on Gibson Landing. My grandfather's view had gotten blocked by the new house to the north. So he picked up the house, rotated it, and moved where it sits now. He got full support from the town because thats where the house was originally built. So it got moved twice in its life. And behind the house went in a tennis court. Put in a trolly system to the garage in the basement for the 87 Martinique.

Your summers sound really fun! I have to find more friends on Keuka. So many rich people who barely use their cottage. There are still people who don't have their lifts in yet! No one is around often enough...
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 8:16am
Originally posted by brittcrowell brittcrowell wrote:

That's my wife
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 8:31am

Never mind. I went back and I can see the fuel rail setup. Careful with the 4010. They beat any 600cfm. For some reason the basics of the 4010 are a big advantage, but also a big disadvantage. The 4010's have a hard time staying consistent. The only problem I have with mine is the idle! Perfect 600 rpm idle cold. Perfect sound from exhaust too. But once its warmed up it idles 800~900 rpm and any lower likes to die in gear.

And the floats in mine just got eaten up by e10!!! So I had to replace them with after market metal floats. But did a quick fix with JB weld and worked for a few months. :D

Might as well add that it was over 10 years after I bought my boat that the 4010 needed to be rebuilt. Bought 1994. Rebuilt 2006 I believe.

The owner had the carb rebuilt last year. I'm hoping its good for while. Without a tach, it's hard for me to tell where it's idling at the moment.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The finish of your boat is entirely gelcoat. No paint or clear. Start by buffing out those cracks. They might go away "enough" without any further repair. There are several good threads already in these forums on the subject. Try a google search like this "gelcoat restoration site:correctcraftfan.com/forums". This will restrict the results to here. The proper repair would be grinding the cranks out, filling, fairing and regelling the whole area. Don't mess with any paint or clear coats they might look nice at first but will likely be trouble in the end.

There are cracks all over the place. That's why I wanted to just fill them, paint it, and the top it off with a heavy clearcoat. Not sure how much it would cost to re-gelcoat the entire top deck. I'm assuming pretty expensive compared to my buddy's $500 cost.........with my "firends and family" discount of course.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 9:58am
Dont paint the boat, it'll ruin the durability of the deck, not to mention the value of the boat. Spot gel repair is the way to go if the chips and cracks wont sand out. Its pretty easy to do yourself- the hardest part is the color match.

Maybe all of this INY talk can be moved to PM instead of clogging up yet another thread? If any more love gets thrown around, you'll start triggering the spam filters!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 10:10am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Dont paint the boat, it'll ruin the durability of the deck, not to mention the value of the boat. Spot gel repair is the way to go if the chips and cracks wont sand out. Its pretty easy to do yourself- the hardest part is the color match.

Maybe all of this INY talk can be moved to PM instead of clogging up yet another thread? If any more love gets thrown around, you'll start triggering the spam filters!

I thought gelcoat was tough to repair? I have no experience with reparing it. I've repaired fiberglass and other composites, but nver gelcoat. Ill post some better pics of the cracks later. When I get the boat in my hands.

I appreciate the feedback and would really like to make the boat perfect, so I'm thinking I'll scrap the primer and paint idea and start to look into how much the gelcoat repair will cost.

Thanks again
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 10:18am
Gelcoat repair is pretty simple. Gelcoat is just tinted and thickened polyester resin. You can buy a gallon of the stuff and all the tint supplies for ~$50. Prep is pretty easy, as is the buffing process afterwards. The color match can be the tricky part- but some trial and error should get you pretty close. Another option would be to cut a piece of your deck off and send it out for a professional color match.

Paying a pro to do it is an option, but usually not real cheap.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Originally posted by brittcrowell brittcrowell wrote:

That's my wife

Sometimes it amazes me what you guys can spot in a pic
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic