Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat won't start..possible keypad issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kconklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kconklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat won't start..possible keypad issues
    Posted: June-24-2013 at 1:09pm
I have a 2000 pro air nautique that won't start. This boat has a keypad that requires a code to start. I went to put it in the lake this weekend and it was completely dead..thought it was a battery issue, so bought a battery and still nothing. The green light blinks when entering the code but nothing happens when i press start. the radio doesn't come on or anything..the horn honks and the bilge seems to work but but not getting any power to the ignition. I am a female so not too familiar with boats, what to check or where to even take it for repair. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
KKC
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 1:27pm
Make sure the throttle is in Neutral. Also, check that the safety lanyard is properly attached. Those are the two most likely culprits.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 4:27pm
Hey there...had a similar problem on our 2000 Sport Nautique. Sometimes it's the left keypad. Sometimes its' the right keypad. Sometimes it's the PME (Main breaker box under the steering wheel)

Ours was the PME. Larry Shay at FL Nautique can test your keypads for you if you send them to him. We sent out left keypad thinking/hoping it'd be that but he replied and sent it back indicating it was perfectly fine. Replaced our PME and BAM...back on the water.

FYI: Our blower would work..but as I recall nothing else. (Horn got wet so the actual horn is toast I think, otherwise I think it woulda worked)

Hope this helps. Email me if you have any other questions!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
kconklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kconklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 5:49pm
what do you mean by left and right keypad? I have one keypad to the left of the steering wheel that has numbers and start/stop buttons. what other keypads are there?
KKC
kconklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kconklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 5:52pm
also throttle is in neutral and lanyard is properly attached..
KKC
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 5:54pm

Left would be blower/keycode/start stop
Right is bilge/lights/acc/shower/etc etc

Make sense? Sorry if I was vague!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
kconklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kconklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 5:54pm
how do i test the PME and where do i get a new one if that's the problem? Should a local marine shop be able to help me or am I going to have to take it to a nautique dealer?
KKC
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by kconklin kconklin wrote:

how do i test the PME and where do i get a new one if that's the problem? Should a local marine shop be able to help me or am I going to have to take it to a nautique dealer?

That's a good question...

We ordered ours from whitelake (Nautiqueparts) marine I believe. Very easy to install. I would recommend contacting them and asking if they can check your keypad. You have an option to buy the keypad...if it doesn't fix it send it back and buy the PME instead.

Nautique Parts
Need Help? Call us:
orders@nautiqueparts.com

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
kconklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kconklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 5:59pm
oh i see!! so if the right keypad is not working then it won't start either? do you have contact info for the guy that tested your keypads?
KKC
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 6:00pm
PM'd you my guys' contact info.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
kconklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kconklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 6:04pm
thanks so much! I'll definitely give this place a call!
KKC
brockcan2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brockcan2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 1:39pm
I am having similar issue with my 2000 air nautique except I get no lights when entering the code. Clock is not working and battery is brand new. Was thinking it is the ignition fuse but no idea how to check it
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by brockcan2002 brockcan2002 wrote:

I am having similar issue with my 2000 air nautique except I get no lights when entering the code. Clock is not working and battery is brand new. Was thinking it is the ignition fuse but no idea how to check it

I'm not sure on the ignition fuse., I have an inline fuse off the positive terminal of my battery up under the front nose cushion in our 2000 sport. I've blown that a few times, not sure how.

You could be having keypad issues, or PME (large black box that holds the computer up under the dash) issues.

We've had to replace both our start keypad, and our PME over the last few years.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
brockcan2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brockcan2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 9:02pm
Thank you I will check that
frozenskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frozenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 2:50pm
FWIW check the battery terminal connections. I had trouble this spring getting my 05 196 started. Same symptoms, bilge pump ran, horn worked etc but just clicked when I hit the start button. Turns out the Neg battery cable terminal needed to be replaced, also check the positive one to be sure it is clean and securely connected.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 3:21pm
I forgot to mention the battery terminal issues. We had to replace our negative wire terminal connector as well.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2016 at 9:22pm
You mentioned the battery is new. If the positive and negative cables touched each other during the battery change, the keypad is toast.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic