NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

using a boom

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: using a boom
    Posted: June-24-2013 at 7:29pm
Hi guys. I have a 1979 Ski Nautique and I just installed my new to me boom. When I ran the boat the bow wake seems to be breaking right at, or very near the boom at anything less than slalom speeds.
I got the thing to help little people learn to get up on a wakeboard. So far I think this experiment may be doomed.
Any suggestions?

Also, I'm using a short (3') handle off the boom. Should I have them just hold the boom instead?
Thank you.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 7:38pm
Boom set up is pretty important. Get it angled forward slightly (cable adjustment) to reduce the spray at the skier. How is your height set up? Which side of the boat do you have it on? Weight placement in the boat (especially where passengers are sitting) will be critical when teaching people to ski. The high side of the boat will throw spray further aft.

And yes, absolutely start new skiers directly on the boom. Once theyre comfortable there, then go to the standard 5' handle.

Without an extension (BI sells 18" extensions and you can use 1 or 2 of them) skiers will likely encounter some spray on an older Ski Nautique. Especially at the slow speeds used for small kids. Get the set up and weight placement right, and it can be manageable though.

'88 Ski Nautique, skier = age 6

I would also teach young people to ski first (2 skis) before transitioning to the wakeboard. It is advantageous to get acclimated to being pulled on top of the water in a more natural (straight forward) position. One step at a time.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 7:56pm
I have the boom on the same hull, the spray is marginal, I'm adding the extension that goes in the middle of the boom and may even get the smaller diameter handle extension for the end, (easier for little hands, and even farther from the spray)
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 9:15pm
you can just teach them to barefoot in the swing (that 3ft handle you have)
This is the life
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 8:46am
Well said Tim
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 9:07am
I have zip tied a soft ski handle to the end of the boom to give the little ones something with less diameter to get their hands around yet it doesn't allow any slack. the rest of the handle line I ran down the boom away from the handle and tied off. It is important that the boom be a comfortable level for them and crew weight can help them. Most booms can be mounted on either side and I've seen some on the drivers side so he can give instructions. As soon as they are comfortable on the boom you get them on a skiline.
I've used mine for two skis, deep water slalom start, wakeboarding, and barefoot. You should not need the boom to teach tubing!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 2:30pm
All the above is good info.
Here's my 6yr olds progression Saturday we got her up behind the boat don’t have those pics down loaded yet.

Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 3:18pm
Guys i need one of these booms. Do i get one from overtons or is somewhere else better? I tried my 9 year old Saturday on the rope but i think a boom would be easier for him. Also should i buy extensions right away? Thanks, Tony
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 3:30pm
both my kids use my boom without the extensions, I've not adjusted my cables for the extension yet. The driver and crew can help with spray by balancing the boat. An adjustable mount is REALLY helpful going from kids to adults, I also like the boom lower for footing directly on the boom, and higher with a 5 foot handle.

One note, the kids WILL get wet when crossing small rollers at kid training speeds.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Bones71 Bones71 wrote:

Guys i need one of these booms. Do i get one from overtons or is somewhere else better? I tried my 9 year old Saturday on the rope but i think a boom would be easier for him. Also should i buy extensions right away? Thanks, Tony

You can certainly go new, and may want to if you want it by the weekend, but they are pricey new and can frequently be found on craigslist, especially when you have a seller a ways from you willing to ship. It's worth a look. Used ones usually run 200-300, less if you are lucky. A new BI is 500.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 4:39pm
I got my BI boom used for $200 in great shape. They pop up now and then just have to keep on the look out.

I should also add my little one started on a ski trainer before I got the boom.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 4:45pm
Great Pics Paul. Gives me an excuse to repost this video. I've posted it a few times in the past 6 or so years, but there are always new folks here, and of all my ski videos, its my favorite. And it does have at least a few boom training use examples.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 5:30pm
That is a great video. I'm hoping to put together our footage like that some day, finding the time is hard though.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 6:46pm
This is all great info fellas. I cant wait to get back out this weekend and try it again. My two boys are dying to try barefooting on it. I showed them what 38 mph looks like and they are having second thoughts!
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 12:17am
that is a great video Larry.

boys don't need 38...give em 23 to 33- plenty for kids to foot on a boom, let them work slowly up to higher speeds. you may start them at less than 20.

the old weight divided by 10 plus 20 does not quite work for kids.
This is the life
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 9:26am
awesome vidoe Larry
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic