Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where is H20 intake on 1967 Barracuda?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BarracudaBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarracudaBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where is H20 intake on 1967 Barracuda?
    Posted: July-05-2013 at 3:26pm
Hey all,

My boat occasionally overheats in brackish water, but I learned that if I started it, turned it off, then restarted it a couple times it returned to normal. Almost as if it releases the algae or leaves that are blocking the intake. Yesterday it did not return to normal temps, but when I flushed the engine manually it resolved the problem, which tells me the prob is at the intake or maybe the impeller? First, I want to find the intake and clean it off manually before I attack the impeller. Can someone advise me as to where the water is sucked in to cool the motor? Near the prop? Boat is up on a hydrohoist over water right now..thanks for your help here!
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2013 at 3:35pm
Most CC boats I have seen have the intake near the shaft coupling, and most have been on the port side of the boat. That may not be the case for yours, but at least its a start.
Can't you just trace the hoses to it? Or while it's on the lift.... look at it? Not trying to be a jerk but this really should be very easy to locate.

Here it is on a 66. Small pic but it looks like it is on the starboard side of this one... or both sides?

Besides having a blockage at the intake or a bad impeller,there could be remnants of an older destroyed impeller somewhere in your water loop downstream. Those pieces could be blocking water flow and maybe settle out of the way sometimes when you shut it off and restart.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2013 at 3:52pm
There are always exceptions to the rule when you deal with older Correct Crafts but it seems like all 60's V8 boats have dual intakes like Bruce's in the picture. The reason I think is because Chrysler marine engines have dual impeller pumps,who knew what brand engine was going in when the hull was laid up,with duals any engine combo could be used. Not sure what engine you have but another place to check for clogs is on the intake side of the trans cooler,the cooler on some engines is the next thing past the intake before the raw water pump.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Matty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 1:33am
NY,

I tried to reply earlier via IPhone but it appears to have not gone through. Thanks for the timely reply and tips....I will work on it this weekend. If that is a pic of your engine than I have a long way to go! What a great support system for the newly initiated! I'll let you know what happens. -BB-
Matty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 1:39am
Thanks, Gary. I have a 440 SS. I am hoping if it is an impeller I need, a sufficient replacement is readily available at my local marine parts store. Great knowledge and thanks for sharing it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic