Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help identifying

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help identifying
    Posted: July-06-2013 at 1:41am
91 Excel/BF with big block 454 :)

I have tried locating this part (which I believe is the water temp switch) through Nautique Parts, Ski Dim, and a few others locally. This is mounted into the circulating water pump of the motor, not on the intake. The numbers appear to say 153F which I would think stands for Fahrenheit .
Anyone have an idea for sure?? My temp gauge is not working. Already replaced the sending unit (in the intake) and I have a good ground at the gauge. Other gauges appear to work normal, with exception of fuel which I believe needs a new tank sender.
Thanks!
Mike
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 3:39pm
Sounds like you are talking about the "thermostat". Contact Zach at N3 Boatworks and he will get you the part you need. They oftentimes get stuck in the open position allowing water to circulate constantly when it is not always needed.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 3:46pm

Sorry the pic didn't come through on the original post.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 3:59pm
That's definitely not the thermostat. Looks like the sending unit to me.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 5:59pm
The sending unit, from what everyone says, is the one I already replaced on the intake manifold next to the thermostat housing. There is two on these boats, one a sender and one a switch I'm told. My CC dealer thinks I'm nuts, but I have seen a few others with this part in the exact same location. Just wish I could get somewhere with this...
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2013 at 7:24pm
Shagit, that is a temp switch for an overheat alarm. (buzzer) it is wired in series with the oil pressure switch. Neither one effects the gauges. It has nothing to do with the temperature gauge.

Look at the wires: The sending unit that controls the dash gauge should be solid tan in color. The wire for the one you pictured will likely have a tracer stripe. Dead give away.

From behind the dash, with the key "on" take a jumper wire and connect the gauge sending terminal (S) to ground. The gauge should peg full scale. (unless its a VDO) If the gauge pegs then the instrument is fine and your troubles lie in the wiring or sender.
If the gauge does not jump then you have a power supply issue or bad instrument.

First clue is to watch the gauge when you turn on the key. Does it wriggle at all? It should at least set to zero with a bad wire or sender. Check purple for power with the key on. A test light is much easier for this than a VOM if you happen to have one.
The above applies for the fuel instrument as well.They work on resistance to ground.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 3:54am
Thanks for the great explanation Bait! So the gauges are VDO - whats different about them? When I turn the key on, I get no wiggle at all from the temp gauge and the fuel gauge both. Other gauges seem to work well. (except speedos which I need to address from the transom) I thought that was a temp switch.... Can't believe my local dealer thought I was crazy.... Maybe I'm just getting older. lol
I will look further Monday... On duty tomorrow... Wait, I mean today! Crap I need to go to sleep....
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 6:17pm
Shag take a breath.
Remember this: Gauges and senders must be a matched pair. Apples and apples.
Teleflex, Tempo and all the other stuff normally found on these boats will peg full scale when grounded.
VDO is backwards to that.
If I take a VDO temp / oil / fuel gauge and apply the sender wire to ground the gauge will read full low scale or (zero)
IF I leave the sender wire adrift and un-grounded, it will go full scale.

Methinks you have a Teleflex sender talking to a VDO gauge. Thats like me asking directions in Cantonese to a man from Portugal..

Apples and bananas...
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 7:05pm
like the pilot from Seoul talking to the tower in San Francisco
This is the life
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 12:40pm
Zing.... Glass seeker...:)
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 12:42pm
Ok, I will try to figure this out. It's def a VDO gauge, and I already replaced the sender with one from PCM/Nautique Parts which I would hope would be the correct one. I ordered the switch but they sent another sender saying it was the correct part number... :/
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 2:55am
Hey how do you guys feel about removing the thermostat totally? Just curious
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 5:36am
it needs a t stat

removing the t stat is never a good/effective solution.
This is the life
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 11:12am
Originally posted by shagit shagit wrote:

The sending unit, from what everyone says, is the one I already replaced on the intake manifold next to the thermostat housing. There is two on these boats, one a sender and one a switch I'm told...

That sounds about right. One Temp Switch and One Temp Sender.

Does this boat have Protec? That temp switch pictured above could also be for the computers SLOW mode.

The thing is though, this switch won't (as far as I know) have any effect at all on what you see with your gauge.

I had a VDO temp gauge that I was fighting with. Fixing shaky grounds and wiring in general improved it somewhat (It was always reading very high, higher than my infrared temp gun indicated), but just replacing it was the final solution.

Grounding the sender wire, like Baitkiller said, will let you know if it's working.

Another good overheating troubleshoot guide is this one from Skidim. It applies more to actual overheating rather than electrical problems, but still a good short read:
http://www.skidim.com/Faq_TROUBLESHOOT.asp#RWTS

shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2013 at 2:23am
So I got some time to investigate the water temp and fuel gauge today and I think they are both bad. I don't have a ohm meter and just used a test light, but I get a good light off both the grounds when I touch the power tabs on each gauge respectfully. In reference to the fuel gauge, I get a completes circuit at the sender on the tank.
Neither gauge does anything at all when doing any of the above, and they do not even 'bump' when I turn on the ignition and/or the key. To make matters worse, when I pulled the spade off the fuel gauge sender, the copper tab came out with it :/
Also this is a protec motor.
Now to find white face vdo gauges.... Hmmm
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2013 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by shagit shagit wrote:

Now to find white face vdo gauges.... Hmmm

I had to use Farias for mine. If you go the Faria route, they are no longer spade, they are ring and post. So, you'll have to get a decent crimper and some new terminal ends. Not a big deal, just not quite plug and play.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic