NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dustyb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water pump
    Posted: July-06-2013 at 6:26pm
i have a 78 ski nautique with a 351w. the water pump on the engine is leaking. will a regualar automotive water pump work with the enginge running in reverse? or do i need a marine pump?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 1:36am
You need a marine pump. An automotive will have directional fins that push the water and they will be in the wrong direction. Some of the marine water pumps have fins straight out from the center, not angled so they would move the same amount of water turning either direction. Check Discount Inboard skidim.com they are in Camden, SC.
Tim D
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 1:43am
The one marine pump I have seen had a stainless steel backing plate and I think they are bi-directional. I remember a thread about 1 or 2 members having trouble finding a pump for their older motors,something about mounting the pump and accessories. I think the agreement was just to get yours rebuilt. I have no idea about these guy's but the reading is informative. Maybe one of them will see this and comment.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 12:38pm
Also try your local NAPA. Bi-drectional and stainless impeller are required.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic