Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hit log--Bent rudder or steering cable issue?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hit log--Bent rudder or steering cable issue?
    Posted: July-07-2013 at 2:23am
I am hoping the experts on this forum might have some insight or experience with a bent rudder. We hit a floating log at night after the fireworks in DC and the boat is very hard to steer now. There is not a whole lot of turning authority when I put it in gear. The steering wheel is very difficult to turn as well. It feels like the steering cable is binding, but I am not sure how that would happen from hitting a log. Upon inspection once I got it on the trailer, it looks like the rudder is bent.

I have a family reunion in NY in seven days and I am expected to pull the 40 or so attendees that entire week. I dropped off the boat at the nearest Nautique dealership, which is two hours away, last night. They are going to do their best to help me and get it done this week. We will see. So, to summarize my questions:

1) Has anyone heard of this happening before or been unfortunate enough to have it happen to them?
2) If it needs a new rudder, does anyone know the fastest way to get one? The Nautique dealership says it has to come from the Nautique factory, so it looks like overnighting it is the only option as they do not open until Monday.
3) Is there a business that can straighten the rudder back out, but do it in a day?

The boat is a 1999 Ski Nautique Open Bow.

Thank you in advance. I read this forum all the time, but have not had to ask for help. I have to now.

James
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 5:38am
yes I have turned my rudder into a pretzel before.

I don't think I would count on it being ready.

Start thinking about who else has a boat that could step up.
This is the life
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 11:34am
Been there done that as well but not in the time frame that you're needing. A buddy was driving mine and got a liitle to close to shore and hit something. Stump/ log but bent the strut, rudder and prop whatever he hit.

Ordered a new strut from Woody (he was still at SECC) and sent the prop and rudder to Delta Prop...Gary (I think)said the rudder could be straightened if it wasn't that bad.. They were able to fix both pretty quickly but not sure if it was within a week. Give those guys a call and see what they say.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 12:58pm
Other dealers might have rudders on hand, not just the factory.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic